Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,008 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,080 reviews
on April 19, 2016
Having read a couple of slightly mixed reviews for the Sabrent 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-free External Hard Drive Enclosure [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Black (EC-UASP), with one review in particular focusing on subpar read/write speeds and questionable components, I decided to go with the Inateck.

Performance is most important to me, and using a USB 3.0 connection, Crystal Disk Mark tests produce results consistent with other reviewers (see picture), which I am very happy with.

This drive will primarily be attached to my router, so I don't need it to be ultra portable/durable. Its very lightweight and feels very plasticy, but the connections seem very snug and everything snaps shut tightly...just not I'd expect it to remain intact when dropping on a hard surface (I haven't tested this). Tool-less design is nice for the very rare occasions I'd need to swap drives out.

All in all, very happy with the purchase.
review image
on August 3, 2014
I have always wanted an external SSD disc via USB 3.0, and for some reason, they just don't exist. Hence, I thought using a generic HDD enclosure with an SSD should be the solution. So I got this Inateck 2.5 inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disc enclosure together with the Crucial MX100 512 GB SSD, et voila, it works, and that even lightening fast!

However, I stumbled on getting to work under Windows 7 as it didn't show in the Drives window. Thanks to an outstanding Crucial Customer Support team I learned I needed to initialize and partition the SSD first in Disk Management to make it show in the Drives window:

Before you can use your new SSD you have to initialize and partition it.

1. In Windows 7 and earlier, open 'Disk Management' by right clicking on 'Computer' and selecting 'Manage', then 'Disk Management'. In Windows 8, move the mouse to the lower left corner of your desktop and right-click on the Start Icon, then select Disk Management.
2. When Disk Management opens, a pop-up should appear and prompt you to initialize the SSD.
3. Select MBR (Master Boot Record) and click OK
4. Right click in the area that says Unallocated and select New Simple Volume...
5. The New Simple Volume Wizard will open, click Next
6. Leave the Specify Volume Size as the maximum (default value) and click Next
7. Select a Drive Letter and click Next
8. In the Format Partition screen, decide on a Volume label (the name you want to give the drive) and click Next

The drive is now formatted and ready for use.

I am using this HDD Enclosure / SDD combination with my Asus RT-N65U router, as a Media Server.
(12/13/2015) Now connected this HDD Enclosure with the 500 GB Crucial MX100 SSD to a Netgear R8000 router for use by the router's media server. Works very well.

Am very happy with this solution. 5 stars no doubt!
on November 17, 2016
I first purchased the Sabrent due to price and its aluminum constuction regardless of problems some of the users experienced. I did a fix on the case, taping the metal connector that sticks out as some users suggested. I even grinded off a bit of it. Regardless of the fix, I ran into a lot of problem with this Sabrent case, idle, won't connect, flashes endlessly until shut down.

I gave up and spent $15 buying the Inateck. It is SO much better, yes it's made with plastic but doesn't have any shortage due to non-metal design. The chip is also covered, unlike the Sabrent one exposed to air. Love the on/off switch and smooth design. I did a speed test and it is noticable faster on the Inateck. See attached image, what else do I have to say...
review image
on February 3, 2016
I've had this item since Nov 28, 2015. [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure Case with usb 3.0 Cable for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD, Tool-free (FE2002)

I bought this enclosure simply because I upgraded my laptop from a Samsung 840 Pro 120GB to a 256GB 850 Evo, And I decided to make the old drive into a small USB 3 drive. I have to say I'm quite impressed by the results. I'm able to run TRIM without issue, And I get insanely good speeds which were actually better than my original expectations having around 400MB/s read and about 140 write, I know the write is a bit low, But I didn't expect much. I'll be posting CrystalDiskMark results later on in the review.

Pros:
-Fast
-Reliable
-Consistent data transfer speeds.
-USB 3
-Not using micro USB 3.0
-Male to Male cable between the enclosure and computer
-Cable isn't fixed to enclosure
Cons:
-Cheap plastic
-Just a foam piece to hold drive in place
-Very lightweight with seemingly thin plastic
-Not something I'd be comfortable throwing in a bag for trips

Results of CrystalDiskMark, Ran three times and had very consistent results.

* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 17.328 MB/s [ 4230.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 33.303 MB/s [ 8130.6 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [G: 10% (10.0/111.8 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2016/02/03 22:42:56
OS : Windows 10 Professional [10.0 Build 10586] (x64)

Note - Drive is nearly empty as I was doing back and forth transfers to see if I could observe any noticeable drops that couldn't be explained, I had none.

System specs:
i7 3770K@4.4GHz
Intel DZ77RE-75K
AMD Radeon 7970
16GB RAM
Corsair TX850

Nothing terribly special for those curious, I don't personally feel the specs matter in this case.
on May 18, 2017
 VIDEO: Shows how to take the cover off.

This is exactly what I wanted. The main reason I bought this product over it updated version is to be compatible with my old laptop. I have a Lenovo T60 that only has USB20 ports. I bought a USB30 Express Card which works great for other USB devices. When I heard that some of the external SSD drive caddies had compatibility problems, I bought this one and tested it right away. I plugged it into the USB30 Express Card and it recognized the drive right away - no issues. I now can use the external drives to transfer large amounts of data between my Surface Pro 3 and my old klunker, which btw, has served me well since 2007.

Some things I really like about this drive (besides that it works with older computers):
- It has an on/off switch - nice touch
- The USB cable plugs into both the computer and the drive thereby allowing the drive to be stored neatly without a cable sicking out of it.
- No tools are required. The case slides off and slides back on and clicks into place.

Good information to know:
- It might be a little difficult to take the case top off for the first time. I struggled with it for a bit. The case top is tight, which is good. But that means you need to put some pressure on it to get it to move, which I never like to do with a plastic housing. Review the video to see the way taking off the cover works best for me.
on October 20, 2015
I bought this USB 3 enclosure to use with my late 2013 iMac that came with a one terabyte HDD that runs at 5400 RPMs. I love Apple products and have many of them, but I think they should include at least 7200 RPM drives with their systems. My iMac is a middle of the road middle with 8 gigs of ram and it still struggles a bit due to the hard drive. I also have a 2008 Macbook in which I replaced the HDD with an SSD and it screams. So I bought a Samsung 512 Gig 850 EVO, put it in this enclosure and the difference in speed is unbelievable. It is at least three or four times faster. So for less than $200 I have an iMac that is as fast or faster than i7 ones with a HDD. The only drawback is that USB3 is not compatible with TRIM. Thunderbolt is. We'll see if the SSD slows down over time due to the lack of TRIM support, but for $14.95 this is truly an amazing product. Installation took five minutes. I am absolutely satisfied!
on April 2, 2016
This works great. I was using a cable adapter with a bare SSD, but that doesn't offer much protection for the SSD. For just a few bucks, I got a case and cable that work fine. Even comes with some rubber spacers to account for the different thickness SSDs on the market. I ran a speed test and the speed is identical with the straight cable I was using and with this case.

An external SSD in this case is much, much faster than an equivalent flash drive, which typically uses very slow memory components. I don't have to worry about vibration or other damage. I use the SSD as a travel drive, small backups, exchanging files between Mac and PC, etc.
on August 20, 2015
The enclosure works as described. It has a great throughput. On my Macbook pro, running OS 10.10.4 (Yosemite), my tests using Quickbench from Speedtools, with a 1TB Samsung SSD inside, the read and write speed average 455MB/sec which is amazing. That's what I get on my Mac Pro 2013 with dedicated external enclosures. The enclosure has a switch to turn the drive on and off when connected. The only annoying thing is that the female USB port on the enclosure is the standard A type so you will need a USB cable that has a male A type at each end. Fortunately the device ships with one though it is very short. Overall very good, not too expensive either.
on March 20, 2017
To be very honest about this enclosure - I was not very impressed with it. I found the plastic case rather flimsy and the speed claimed by many, and as advertised in the description, was not all that great. I was however impressed how easy it was to install the drive within the enclosure. Slide the top portion of the case off (careful, do not to press too hard or it will crack) and simply slide the hard drive into the connection. For those who challenge my expectations as to why the speed was not exceptional, here's what I did. I plugged it into a 3.0 USB port on my laptop. I backed up 110 gigs of data using the default Windows Ultimate 7 backup feature. And, it took a little over 2 1/2 hours to complete. Not too impressive from my point of view. To make sure I did everything correctly, I reformatted the drive again, and restarted the backup exactly the same way. Same speed and time occurred. Oh, and I Was Not using the computer at all while the process was running. Now, maybe someone else may achieve the advertised exceptional speeds with a Solid State Hard Drive, but I used a 600 Gig standard WD 5200 Scorpion Hard Drive and I did not see any exceptional speed difference using this standard drive. At this time, I do not want to pay for the added cost of a Solid State HD. So, do I recommend this enclosure to others, Ya - sort of - just use it with a Solid State HD. I am pretty certain you will have better results.
on June 14, 2014
I have purchased and used many disk caddies over the years. Some were easier than others to use; some were a royal pain. For this particular case, it was the easiest one I have ever had used. You simply hold the bottom of the case with your fingers, then use your thumbs to slide the top towards the back. That opens it up; no screwdrivers or tools needed. You put your 2.5" disk in, slide it towards the front until it makes a good connection, slide the case cover back to the front and you are done. If your drive is sitting there, ready to be plugged in, you can complete the whole process in under a minute. That is a really simple, elegant solution.

In my particular case, I had a 512 GB SSD that came out of my old Mac. It was in perfect condition, definitely fast, so I wanted something that was USB 3.0 based to make optimal use of the SSD's speed. This caddy definitely did the trick. Doing all kinds of transfers, I see speeds around 16 GB/min doing real world things.

Bottom line: if you need a nice, easy to use USB 3.0 disk caddy, this deserves to be on your short list.

Update 14-Jun-2014

I originally had problems when I made a bootable Mac drive that I couldn't get my Mac to boot from it. It would show up in the list of bootable drives, allow me to select it, but it would never boot from the drive. That seemed odd so I removed the drive, put it into another USB 3.0 caddy I had sitting around, and it booted perfectly. Hmmm... So I put it back into the Inatek case, selected it as the boot drive, and this time it worked. Nothing different: same SSD, same case, same cable, same USB 3.0 port. I've done enough hardware over the years to know that this sort of thing happens from time to time for no apparent reason. Perhaps it was a PEBKAC error; that does happen sometimes too. Whatever the original reason it didn't work, it is working perfectly now.

I have re-rated this item to 5 stars since since everything about it was ideal for my particular SSD application.