- Save 15% on participating Optimum Nutrition products sold and shipped by Amazon.com. Add items to cart to see discount. Here's how (restrictions apply). Enter code SPARTANOCT24 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $7.29 shipping
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Double Rich Chocolate, 5 Pound, 80 Ounce
- One 5-pound tub of chocolate-flavored whey protein
- Packed with whey protein isolates
- For maintaining and increasing lean muscle mass
- Instantized to mix easily with a spoon
- Each serving provides over 5 grams of BCAAs
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Flavor: Double Rich Chocolate | Size: 5 Pound | Package Type: Standard Packaging
Would you like to give feedback on images?
From the Manufacturer
Optimum Nutrition Quality
At ON we are proud to know that we are one of the few sports nutrition companies who own and operate their own production facilities. While it's true that ON is one of the world's largest producers of sports nutrition products, we remain focused on being recognized as the best. In fact, our requirements for raw materials are so strenuous that it's not unusual for ON Quality Assurance Technicians to reject entire truckloads of raw materials that do not meet our high standards. We like to think that we take as much pride & care in crafting our award-winning supplements as our consumers do with crafting their physiques and fitness accomplishments.
There Is Only One Gold Standard
Whey protein isolates are the purest form of whey and the main ingredient in Gold Standard 100% Whey. Each serving provides 24 grams of rapidly digesting whey protein with low levels of fat, cholesterol, lactose and other stuff you can do without making Gold Standard 100% Whey the standard all other proteins are measured against.
- World’s Most Trusted Sports Nutrition Brand
- Whey Protein Isolates: Primary Source
- 5.5 Grams of Naturally Occurring BCAAs
- 4 Grams of Naturally Occurring Glutamine and Glutamic Acid
- Instantized to Mix Easily Using Just a Glass & Spoon
- Over 20 Different Flavors to Choose From
|Performance Whey||Gold Standard Whey||Platinum HydroWhey|
|100% Whey Protein||✓||✓||✓|
Optimum Nutrition True Strength
True Strength is a journey. It never rests, it never quits. It's about overcoming obstacles, accomplishing goals, and recognizing achievements. And then it resets to achieve again. As your trusted sports nutrition partner in goal achievement, ON demonstrates that same passion while crafting our products. From the raw materials we source to our state-of-the-art manufacturing processes, no compromises are made. You set the bar higher after every workout, we set the bar higher to redefine the industry standards and ensure you realize optimum results.
Legal DisclaimerThese statements have not yet been evaluated by the United States Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and different information than what is shown on our website. We recommend that you do not rely solely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. Please see our full disclaimer below.
Top Customer Reviews
Beyond that, this is one of the best tasting low carb/fat protein shakes out there. I dont find it too sweet at all and I can handle taking it every day for weeks and weeks without getting bored of the flavor. One thing I do know about flavors is that opinion highly varies between people, but you will find a ON gold standard whey that you love. Rocky Road/ Extreme milk chocolate/ Chocolate/ Double rich are all just chocolate variants, so start off buying a small container until you find the one you like the most!
I start my workouts off with a serving of Alpha Gx7 Pre-workout - Watermelon Flavor when i am on the way to the gym, approx. 15-20 mins before my workout. I bring a bag full of ON gold standard whey with me to the gym so when im finished my workout, I can immediately get a hit of protein to begin the process of muscle building as soon as possible!
DO NOT believe someone when they say "x flavor is the best!" and then go off and buy the 5lb tub and have to choke down something you hate. Test it out for yourself!
I would also like to note I am a normal guy, not a crazy fitness freak, so my suggestions are really for anybody to follow! If anybody is wondering ive just followed stronglifts 5x5.
This product review and analysis was conducted based on 3 parameters
A. Constituents: What comes in the box, the real value of the product
B. Assimilation: How does this product goes down in your system, how much of it will your body assimilate
C. Usability : Long term usability and and effects.
I believe this is one of the best supplements available in the market today. The Question is Why?
1. The Quality of protein. Since its manufactured by Glanbia (who owns Optimum nutrition), this product is coming straight from the manufacturer. This is a BIG factor, 90% of the protein supplement companies source their raw materials from third parties, often importing them from third world countries.
100 grams of Whey protein isolate from one source is NOT equal to the 100 gram Whey protein isolate from another. Inferior resources usually have high level of Heavy metals and cattle Hormones. This has been elucidated from recent tests and published widely in the consumer reports. ON aced this report with minimum levels of such harmful residues. Reason is simple, they make their own whey in a plant which has to abide all regulations under US law.
Just for the point of reference. I am from India, and therefore know first hand how many poorly regulated cheese plants export their whey to Europe and US. So make sure your Whey protein is coming from Whey extracted in the US!!
2. Ideally, I will prefer the protein powder with no artificial sweetener. But lets face it, such a product will be hard to sell. However, Golds whey keep artificial sweeter to minimum. If you check Bodybuilding.com forums, lots of consumer complain that its not sweet enough. I request all such folks to realise that is actually good for them, if you feel this product is not sufficiently sweet for you. Its better you use lesser amount of hydrant (Milk, water, juice etc), or add a tiny bit of Honey.
The Profile- The Myth about Isolate vs a Blend
3. This might be hard for some people to digest. However, the truth is 96% people who use Whey supplements, will have no additional benefits of taking an Isolate vs a Blend. Please note, when I use the word blend, I mean a product lile Golds whey which is well balanced with Whey isolate and Whey Concentrate. (not any junk product form the market). If you take the blend, you might get 1 gram of extra fat or 2 grams of extra carbs which is absolutely nothing. You can burn this by adding 1.5 minute to your jog routine or walking for 2-3 minutes. You will get the same result and effect as the Isolate, so its not worth spending extra refined Isolate. The Isolate rumor is just a Hype created by the supplement industry. I will repeat this again, if your blend is as good as Golds whey i.e you are getting 24 grams per 30 gram scoop, you don't need an Isolate.
Who all comprise the 4% population who can benefit from an Isolate. First people who are extremely lactose Intolerant. I have used the word extremely since all good products add enzymes to digest the little amount of lactose residue in the supplement. Lactose is not a a bad thing, its simply the milk sugar. So if you are highly allergic to Lactose, Isolate will help (they have negligible levels of lactose)
Second tier of people who can benefit from Isolates are professional athletes who are pepping up for an upcoming competition. This competitive set is consuming 5-8+ scoops of Whey protein daily and therefore will benefit from reduction in additional fat or carbs.
4. Why go for Whey protein blend when you have specialized protein powders with Whey,egg and Casein.
Its simple science, Whey is just better with the best Biological value*. This means that your body will better absorb and use the protein source from Whey more than any other source, therefore no wastage. Egg is also a great resource, which is just behind Whey. However in real world it lags behind Whey substantially, even the delayed absorption rate cannot compensate much. Scientifically it has been proven that Whey is just better, since it doesn't tax your digestive processes as much as an egg protein.
Question of Casein:
Its true that Casein has an edge when it comes to delayed absorption. Its anti-catabolic properties and slow absorption makes it an ideal night time protein. This said, its best when you take Casein in concentrated from, i.e. if you need Casein, take only Caesin, do not mix it with Whey... Why do I say this, Its a big topic based on metabolism response(will add a different thread later). One last thing 24 grams of Whey protein is NOT equal to 24 grams of Casein as the Biological value of Casein is lower than Whey.However Caesin does have its own benifit of delayed response, provided you actually need it.
*Biological Value: Biological value (BV) is a measure of the proportion of absorbed protein from a food which becomes incorporated into the proteins of the organism's body.
Whey protein concentrate: 104
Whole egg: 100
Cow milk: 91
Always keep a note of how much protein you are consuming from Supplements Vs straight from the food. Ideally one should keep protein sources from supplements under 25%, but if your life style is demanding and you are unable to get hold of good meals rich in protein, you should always keep your protein dependency under 50%. In layman terms, for most of us who are looking for fitness, keep it not more than 2 scoops/day. For those who really pump some heavy Iron keep it upto than 3 scoops/day. (let me know if you wish to know the science behind this)
In the end Supplements are only Supplements. The word Supplement has a lot of Drama attached to it, as if, if you don't take a protein shake within 30 minutes of your work out.. you will never make good gain. Total Crap. This is not a make or break factor(its just beneficial). Baring few exceptions. Supplements adds up only 20 percent of your fitness equation.
In the real world, for over 90% of us. The fitness equation is something like this.
A Intensity and Regularity of Workout: 30- 35%
B Lifestyle and Nutritional Choices: 40- 50%
C Supplements : 0 - 20%
So the most important thing is to focus on A%B. Once you have maximized A and B, think about C
This is one of the best protein supplements that I have found, based on price, nutrition and quality of the protein.
The last important part when reviewing a protein powder, is solubility, and taste. I found that this was one of the best tasting protein powders I could buy. When its something you take after every workout, you definitely want it to taste good.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I love the taste, specially banana cream flavor.
And results, I can see it. I gained almost 5 pounds in 2 weeks.