Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 33 reviews
on January 15, 2016
I really wanted to give 3.5 stars, but since you can't do that I rounded up to 4. On the basis that I've actually spoken to Larry Carpenter on the 'phone one time and he was super nice and super helpful.

This book seems to be the definitive one on Data Guard and it does do a pretty decent job of explaining how to configure it in all its guises. So why not 5 stars? It boils down to 4 reasons:

1) I'm not an Oracle/Oracle Press 'fan boy' and therefore I'm not predisposed to give Oracle Press books an automatic 5 stars on the basis they're published by Oracle Press and written by a friend of mine. You know who you are!

2) The cover says Oracle Data Guard 11g so you'd be forgiven for thinking you're getting a book on Oracle Data Guard 11g. Not so. The reader has to endure countless meanderings about how it worked in 10g and in some cases even 9i. Even some errors you used to get in 10g are reproduced with explanation about why they occurred, how to get around them and which version of 10g fixed it! I just want to know about 11g! Please not let's confuse the subject matter with irrelevant historical material. I found this aspect of the book VERY distracting and made it more difficult to focus on what you're actually trying to learn and understand. Surely that's the whole point of such a book!

3) When setting things up manually (i.e. you're not mindlessly pointing and clicking the OEM GUI to do the job for you) it's extremely important that you execute the correct SQL statement in the correct environment. In many cases, the book doesn't make that immediately and abundantly clear. So when you need to look something up, you have to read the prior paragraph or two to ascertain the context to know which environment (Primary or Standby) the SQL command relates to. I found that annoying and frustrating in equal measure.

4) Somewhat related to point #2, the superfluous material was sometimes off the scale. For example, the title of Chapter 9 is Active Data Guard. So you'd be forgiven for thinking you're getting a 27 page chapter on Active Data Guard, right? Wrong! What you actually get is 23 pages on Physical Standbys open in read-only mode, snapshot standbys and Real Application Testing including a multi-page worked example of Database Replay. Seriously! The final 4 pages are about the chapter's title, Active Data Guard. My point is, there is quite a lot of material fleshing out over 500 pages which shouldn't even be in this book.

So there you have it. Should you buy a different book on Data Guard instead? Probably not since Larry Carpenter is 'Mr Data Guard'. All I'd say is, tackle this book knowing how it's written and what you're getting into. One can but hope the 12c Data Guard book, if it ever materializes, will have improved.

Happy Data Guarding!
on February 13, 2010
I had the pleasure of meeting Larry Carpenter at OOW 2009 and he IS the man when it comes to Data Guard (DG). This book is well written and presents DG material in a clear and concise manner. The information is dense at times and sometimes I had to read over a section more than once to fully comprehend the material. This book is written for implementer and goes far and beyond the Oracle Documentation. Buy this book, spend the weekend reading it and become a better DBA. [...]
on February 1, 2010
Using primarily this book, we've just installed Physical and Logical standby databases as well as Fast-Start Failover for our critical web based OLTP databases for a government data center.

This book is written by eight authors, including several whom are internal managers, directors, and developers for Oracle. Their involvement with Oracle includes the Oracle Maximum Availability Architecture (MMA) team, the High Availability Server team, System Performance and Architecture Practice, Data Guard Development, as well as other areas. Other authors include Oracle experts with real world experience. These folks are the ones who KNOW how Data Guard works.

This book is a must have. It answers the questions you will have, and even those questions you need answers to that you didn't originally think to ask.

The book is written for Oracle 11g Data Guard, but clearly illustrates the differences and limitations between Data Guard for 10g and 11g. If you are implementing Data Guard, you need this book!
on December 22, 2016
Been and Oracle DBA (OCP) for 11 years, some Oracle books a good, some are not so good. This is a good one. The coverage is good, readability is good, examples are good. This one is worth the cost.
on November 2, 2010
I find the book is well written, interesting to read, it contains many useful advices and examples. However, it is neither a replacement for the official documentaion nor it is a comprehensive reference, my guess it was not meant to be. I found it not really useful in most of situations when I quickly needed answers for real life DataGuard management tasks, the reason being the information provided in the book - commands etc. - firstly, quite limited to the scope of examples, secondly, scattered across the book. Nevertheless, I think it is the best book on the subject at the moment, and it definitely worth the money.
on August 11, 2010
We recently implemented Data Guard in our production environment and the advice and best practices provided in the book allowed us to make the transition without a hitch. One of the best Oracle books I have ever purchased. We will be switching over to a new data center next week and the knowledge I gained from reading this book makes me confident that transition will be successful as well. On a side note, I had a problem with downloading some of the scripts (due to broken links at the books website) and within an hour one of the authors had contacted me to let me know the issue had been resolved. Impressive book and even more impressive customer service from the authors.
on February 26, 2010
I found this to be be one of the best Oracle tech books I have read. It does a good job of explaining technical concepts in a manner that keeps the reader interested. I have done a lot DataGuard setups, but found this book to contain a wealth of information, tips, scripts, and tricks. The book does a thorough job of explaining Data Guard features and architecture, along with the process you need to follow to configure a solid Data Guard environment. If you follow the various suggestions, procedures, and design tips they suggest, your Data Guard project will be successful. This book is a must read for any DBA deploying or maintaining DataGuard databases.
on April 30, 2013
I recommend this book to any DBA.

Some scripts won't work because there are "in between the lines" steps to be performed that have not been mentioned. It looks like when they write technical books they simply copy and paste code from prior releases instead of testing it thoroughly.

So you will be forced to find out why is not working. At least you will learn.

Overall is a very good book with theory and hands-on exercises.
on September 23, 2009
I just love this book. The best book on Data Guard i have read so far.
Very detailed and covers the basic fundamental concepts of database that helps in understanding a Data Guard architecture. A must for every and any DBA (from a beginner to expert).
It not only talks about the stanbdby features in the previous versions but also tell how the database has evolved and grown with the business and market, specifically with the release of 11g.
It also talks about the Best Practices and the DR approaches different customers take in different situations.
According to me this is like a Data Guard Bible.
on January 7, 2010
This book has 14 chapters. They wrote about Data Guard Architecture/Implementing/Management/...

What will we learn from this book:
- Data Guard Architecture
- Data Guard and Data Guard Broker Implementing
- Rodo Processing
- Data Guard Monitoring
- Data Guard Troubleshooting
- Data Guard ...
Everything about Oracle Data Guard.

When we need to start or implement Oracle Data Guard. We should have a great book. To help... make idea/make solution and...
When you read this book. I believe you will think like me...