- Series: Expert's Voice in Oracle
- Hardcover: 787 pages
- Publisher: Apress; 2nd edition (October 29, 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1590598997
- ISBN-13: 978-1590598993
- Product Dimensions: 7 x 1.7 x 10 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.9 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 7 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,010,530 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Pro Oracle Spatial for Oracle Database 11g (Expert's Voice in Oracle) 2nd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
About the Author
Ravi Kothuri holds a Ph.D. in computer science from the University of California, Santa Barbara, and has been an active researcher and developer in the spatial and multimedia areas for the past 12 years. He serves as the project lead and software architect for various projects in Oracle Spatial. He has around 15 patents (some pending) on specific Oracle technology and has authored numerous articles for database conferences and journals. Other activities include teaching database courses for undergrads and reviewing of research articles for spatial and database conferences. Ravi enjoys music, movies, and playing with children.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
It paid for itself in the first weekk of having it.
Recommended for everyone that uses Oracle Spatial 10g onwards.
The book consists of six parts (including appendices). All the parts cover following subjects:
- Introduction to the technology. Technologies, to be exact; architectures of both, Spatial and Locator options are described -
differences between them.
- Basic concepts - basic know-how. The part, I needed the most met my expectations in 100%. It helped me to start coding really fast.
- Network analysis - more advanced subjects covered, the mostly ARE NOT available in Locator option (one I have access to); network analysis and routing engine, geometry engine. Also indexes and operators are described in one chapter of the book.
- Map Visualisation and creation - a lot of knowlege about MapBuilder, MapViewer and it's API - really helpful for anybody, who needs to visualize maps stored in Spatial.
- Sample applications and case studies - I always look for such chapter in every IT book I read. This is the place, where programmer might find a lot of answers to one's questions. There is also a chapter in this part, the belongs to the category "MUST read" - "Tips, common mistakes and common errors".
There is also sample code available for the readers - to be downloaded from the publisher's web page. It is really helpful to have it while reading the book. There is only one "but" - was, to be exact. About two weeks after the book had been published, the code wasn't available on the page. At least, I couldn't find it. Now it is possible to download it from here.
The book is really good - "must have" of every Oracle Spatial user. It might be helpful for the beginner and advanced developers as well. I would recommend it to everyone, who needs to get to know Oracle Spatial well. All the 756 pages (excluding index) are filled with reliable knowledge, especially that one of the authors - Ravi Kothuri is a member of Oralce spatial development team, where he works as software architect and team leader.
Great work by Apress as per usual and a must buy for any Oracle admins and/or developers that need this package.
***** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED