Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 46 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 73 reviews
on May 21, 2017
The most aggravating, self-righteous, frustrating, immature protagonist I have read in a while. She was remarkably unsympathetic, and I am a child who has a very difficult relationship with her parents, so I have every reason to try to empathize with her. Nonetheless, the writing was strong and I really enjoyed the imagery of the garden and the trouble the author went to to emphasize female bonds of motherhood and sisterhood. (I will say -- slightly spoilery-- I was extremely disappointed with the main characters life changing decision at the end of the book. it's a narrative that gets pushed very often by people on every side of the political spectrum, and it would've been braver and more interesting for the author to go a different way with it.)
on July 3, 2017
I read the book after watching "Sins of the Mother" on Lifetime, when I was told that the movie was an adaptation of Orange Mint and Honey. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and absolutely loved the book. So much so that I have become an instant fan of Ms. Brice. The main character, Shay, has conflicted ideas of who her mother was and who she has become in her absence. She has to deal with the selfish little girl inside herself and the transformation into the woman and mother she is to become. Through Ms. Brice's expressive writing style, the readers can clearly feel and experience all the sights and smells of Nona's kitchen and garden, before and after. If you get nothing else from this book, you’ll learn that “to forgive is necessary to heel" and that is the catalyst for your own growth.
on March 28, 2010
This was the first book that I read by Ms. Brice. I read it after watching the movie "Sins of the Mother" on Lifetime Movie Network that was adapted from this book. Loved the movie, loved the book.

Shay is an educated young woman who is forced to face the demons in her head, because they are starting to manifest themselves in her daily life. She is forced to to go home to the alcoholic mother, whom she feels abandoned and neglected her. When she get there the alcoholic, neglectful woman is no longer around, she has been replaced by this woman who is a great mother to the 4 yr old half sister and a vigilant AA participant. Shay refuses to believe that this real.

Ms. Brice's writing is vivid and colorful and clear. You can visualize Nona's garden, you could smell the food cooking. I loved this book because, because it showed that sometimes we have to really forgive other in order for us to be able to heal ourselves.
on May 10, 2017
I enjoyed this book. The breakdown, the learning and the growth of the 2 main characters. A mother daughter bond is something that should always be special and when it's tampered with it's going to take some time to rebuild. It's all in the willingness to try. I did want more though. I wanted to see where her relationship with Oliver would and could go. I wanted to see the results of her going back to school pregnant. I am truly hoping for a part 2 with all of that.
on September 13, 2015
I'm going to reserve judgment on this just yet, because I just started reading it (and I'll be back to update when I'm done) but I just have to say, I don't know what state she has Iowa confused with, because she clearly has not been here. She mentions, very early on, that fog is "what passes for air" in Iowa, and later, she writes "In Iowa, I had grown used to sunlight filtered through a moist, hazy screen." I don't know where in the world she ever got that idea, but she completely missed the mark on that one. I think she must have confused Iowa with LA. That was really poor research on her part.
on September 20, 2016
Awesome book. The author took me on a journey of a parent that was a alcoholic and made the oldest one with so many issues. But what happens when the alcoholic parent get the chance to do it right with a second child. Where does the older child pain goes?
on December 10, 2015
I really got into the book about a third of the way in. At first Shay's attitude was hard to take but then the story of her childhood wins you over. Her changes and slip-ups in the second half felt a little rushed and contrived. The transformation of her relationship with her mother seemed improbable, but welcome.
on November 30, 2015
I enjoyed the setting in Colorado. The plot was well developed. Realistic characters and situations. Very believable mother/daughter struggles with difficult issues. I loved how the garden theme weaved beautifully to provide a setting, an opening to communication, and ultimately to healing. A beautiful story
on May 7, 2014
This book read like a cup of orange tea with mint leaves and a spoonful of honey on a rainy day. Okay that was dramatic. But this book was so colorful and smooth. It was emotional and controlled. It was everything I wasn't expecting. It was about so much more than the rebuild of a mother/daughter relationship. It was a story of healing, growth, forgiveness, and renewal. I highly recommend!!
on April 18, 2010
This is the first of two books that I have read by Carleen Brice. I received this book from Amazon in the mid-afternoon and could not put it down until it was done. Wonderful, strong women of all different ages makes this a great story. Nona is a very likeable woman while her daughter Shay comes off very rough in the beginning, and this was hard to accept. It was certainly understandeable from the viewpoint of Shay the daughter, and what she had gone through in her childhood. Shay's final discovery of the enjoyment of life and the bonds she forms with Nona, made me a fan of this book. I am waiting for Ms. Brice's next book.