Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 26, 2017
When this film was released in 1980, I was 19 and I was a projectionist at a theater in Mobile, Alabama. Back in that time, the movies were delivered in individual reels (6 to 8 depending on running length) and it was the projectionist's job to splice the reels together for the film to be loaded onto the projector. That was an exciting time for me because I had the pleasure of being able to screen the film, that I had just pieced together, alone, in a vast empty auditorium with my large buttered popcorn, Reese's Pieces, and 32oz Coke. I was lucky enough to be the first in Mobile to see many films of that decade. Some, became iconic classics, i.e. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Superman 2, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, The Big Chill. Others became guilty pleasures, Porky's, Hell Night, and the very fun 9 to 5. But, I am compelled to tell you that nothing, and I mean nothing, touched me as much as Mary Tyler Moore becoming Beth Jarrett before my eyes on that huge, larger than life projection screen in front of me. Her performance blew me away and has touched me in ways I could never explain and is something I'll never forget.
77 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 9, 2017
This movie seems to be based somewhat on The Catcher in the Rye, which is part of the reason I love it so much. Its a difficult movie to watch at times, especially if you can relate to the awkward scenes where both parents dont want to see how much in distress their son is, and mostly seem to want to deflect any guilt they feel in how they might be responsible for some of it.
on March 2, 2017
I was so happy to get this movie in DVD as I had this on VHS. This is a very different Mary Tyler Moore that did a great job with the mother in the movie.
on October 24, 2016
A truly incredible and beautifully crafted film.
on December 12, 2017
fantastic acting by Tim Hutton, Don Sutherland, and Mary Tyler Moore. Highly recommend this touching movie
on March 23, 2017
Watching this movie, again, in the comfort of my home was like seeing an old friend, again. I am so glad I bought it!
on May 23, 2017
This movie brought a tear to my eye. Great writing and real psychiatry at play. Worth the watch.
on July 1, 2015
This movie is a classic and provides a great picture of how families either deal or don't deal with grief. It further addresses the importance of not missing those kids left behind, and parents acknowledging their own grief by talking with each other, their children and getting help with mental health workers.
on July 26, 2013
This was the 1st movie directed by Robert Redford. It's about the family dynamics of what appears to be an ordinary family after a tragic accident. All the actors are perfect in their respective roles. Plus, it's the only movie I ever remember seeing where Donald Sutherland plays a "normal" role.
on September 14, 2014
A movie that totally showed the "other side" of Mary Tyler Moore. It it a heart breaking
and deep movie that shows the cracks in our characters. Bring the Kleenex and the
pop corn! You will be on the edge of your seat, your heart will break and you will realize
just how fragile family and life are.