Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 24, 2010
I purchased this rain and temperature station (RGR202) on July 23, 2010. It arrived within a week. The set consists of a temperature sensor, rain collector and a main display unit. The Quick Start Guide instructions were very straight forward and easy to follow and it is very important that you follow the instructions to successfully assemble and operate the units. The temperature sensor is easy to set up but be sure to mount the unit in a shaded area as I have noticed up to a 12 degree swing between direct sunlight and shade, with the shaded reading being the correct temperature. The display unit is easy to assemble but you will want to take your time in setting the correct time, date, and year. Pushing the reset button will result in a complete loss of these settings. The rain collection unit can be a real stinker to assemble and level and quite honestly, in my case, not very reliable. I am currently working with my THIRD unit. The original one was an older model that required the removal of several screws to access the batteries, a real pain. That unit was inaccurate by about half of what the total rainfall was for any one storm. Oregon Scientific sent me a newer replacement unit (snap on battery door...very nice) but it had electrical problems after establishing communication with the display unit and quit working. Another phone call and another week and my third unit arrived. I set this unit up and three days later we had a 1.3" rain storm, and much to my dismay the display unit showed nothing. A spider had built a nest inside the collector that wouldn't allow the trip bucket to empty. The nest has been removed and the unit seems to be functioning so now I just have to wait on the weather to see if the third time IS a charm.
11 helpful votes
12 helpful votes
on September 2, 2013
Bought this unit as the price seemed reasonable and the positive reviews outweighed the negative. Range seems to be the biggest complaint, and is also likely the reason some people complain about accuracy. I too was hoping for better range. Keep in mind that when you're pushing the range too far, the result can be inaccuracy because not all the teeter-totter flips make it to the station, so it reads low. I kept moving the station/sensor closer until I got a consistently accurate reading. I now have the units about 20' apart through open air (station is on my screened in porch) and it works fine.

An easy way to roughly gauge accuracy is to slowly pour water through it. Per my calculations, 8 oz of water should yield around 1.15" of rainfall - mine came pretty close, certainly close enough to determine my watering needs. Nice thing about this unit compared to others I've seen is the generous 4" diameter collector, which should allow better performance than smaller collectors.

The only way I've found to reset the unit is remove the batteries as others have noted - but this is not a big deal to me. I really like the ability to go back up to nine days to see the history. I didn't buy this unit for the temp gauge, but I mounted it near the sensor for my furnace and they read within one degree of each other so that seems fine.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the unit now that I have the rain sensor close enough. Just be forewarned of the range limitations. Due to the ridiculous claim of 100' I'm only rating this 3 stars as I did not expect to have to go out on my porch to read the rainfall.

5/6/14 update: I have found that not even 20' separation works reliably, and have begun to think that maybe the problem is interference and not just signal level. Usually when I go to check how much it has rained, I find the display blinking and registering 0" (with brand new and measured to be good batteries). Also, even when the rain gauge is linked with the base unit, it no longer registers rainfall, so I think the teeter-totter tips are no longer being sensed. I have ended my frustration and trashed the unit. Also dropped my rating to 1 star.
on March 4, 2013
After many bad reviews I decided to order this anyway as I have had one by OS that just gives me the outdoor and indoor temp for 11 trouble free years. Thought it was to time to replace it and figured I'd like the additional rain guage feature. Incredible amount of directions and the actual product I received differed from the online description. This is not magnatized so will not stick to your refridgerator, It doesn't seem to allow for use of an additional sensor as I was lead to believe... . After opening, putting in batteries and synching I put the components outdoors within range as described. All lost signal, once I put them back next to each other they would not resync. Clock is a manual set (not atomic) you have to push various function keys to set it and I had to keep cycling through them until I finally got it set , very annoying. Extremely disappointed with how un user friendly this product is, you will need to keep the instructions handy. Long and short, after one hour I'd had enough, I packaged it up and returned it!!!! If I order another it will be by a different manufacturer, it's a shame because the first one I've had was excellent quality and WORKED (S)!!!!
3 helpful votes
on August 29, 2015
Very good weather station overall, but it can get flaky randomly. For instance it will all of a sudden lose the link with thermometer and rain gauge even though nothing has moved or changed, then 30 minutes later everything is fine. Not a deal breaker, but not great if you're serious about your weather (I'm only moderately serious). My biggest beef is that when the batteries die you lose all historical data, which seems kind of silly considering how most things these days can at least store information long enough for you swap out some batteries.
on June 27, 2013
I'm generally happy with Oregon rain gages. This is my 3rd one in 6 years. The first one lasted until the LED screen grew too faint for me to read easily. The second one was a different design & didn't have time of day display. I couldn't figure out how to set it correctly & I think the rain gage resets itself to reflect daily totals. This caused the screen to reset to 00 even in the middle of a rain storm, although the cumulative was accurate. Then it quit reading the outdoor temperature. I bought my 3rd one & present one because I knew the rain gage was still working & I didn't want to go through the hassle of remounting a new one & trying to figure out a totally different system & also because I didn't want to spend a lot more money on something more complicated. My current one does have a clock display & I set it so I can see how much rain we got on a given day. I'm a senior, so maybe that has something to do with my review.
on January 7, 2013
This product was given to me on December 29th, 2012. I had it installed and was very excited about getting an accurate account of the rain at our house. Then last week after New Year's it started to flash, and keep on losing the rain gauge reception. It almost looks like you have to press a set button to stop it from flashing. I have read the manual and can not find out why it's doing what it's doing. I have replaced both sets of batteries and also have pushed the reset button, but alas it keeps on flashing. I have bought back a while ago another product from OregonScientific and have been really happy. But this product I am really disappointed..
on April 7, 2011
Remember when Oregon Scientific provided high-quality weather stations? It was not that long ago. I bought three rain gauges in recent years. Hail broke the first one. The second did not measure accurately. The third has not been tested in the rainy season yet but when the temperature outside drops below 0 F. the unit tells me it is "LL" out there. Call OS troubleshooters? If I get one on line, they are pleasant but what can they do? I'm still looking for a quality unit reasonably priced; the competitors seem as bad or worse.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on May 31, 2013
I am an avid gardener so i like to keep track of the weather, especially rainfall so that I can be sure that the ground does not dry out too much and stunt plant growth. In the past three years I have had to replace my rain gauge every year because the electronics failed. I decided to try a different brand this year so I purchased the Oregon Scientific RGR202 Rain Gauge. This unit looks very different and is far more robust in stature. It appears to be working very well so far and I am very pleased with it.
on July 21, 2013
This is the best rain Guage ever. I have bought a few different brands and this one is the only one that works every time. I would highly recommend this to anyone who needs a rain Guage.
on January 7, 2013
As stated in other reviews, the rain measurement cannot be reset on the front - you need to reset it in the back. That would be not to bad if the time does not reset as well and you have to set the time. Also I am already on my 2. one with this - I was optimistic it would work (NO) it already showed me 0.8inch of rain while just putting together ( I must have very sweaty hands...).

The issue with the screws being small is okay if you have a small screw driver - works great. As well as using a paper clip for the reset.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.