Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11 reviews
on January 14, 2011
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this light! I'm so happy to finally have just the right sunrise alarm clock. I've tried many, and granted, I'm picky, but I can honestly say that Oregon Scientific got this one right! This light works great and does not deserve it's low rating.

But Buyer Beware: I bought this from an Amazon vendor and had the exact same problem the other reviewer described -- the pop of light at the beginning of the sunrise and at the end of the sunset. It was very jarring, not at all relaxing, and was the reason I returned it, despite loving it otherwise.

I took a chance and ordered another one (this time buying it directly from Oregon Scientific in case this one went bad after the first 30 days) and I'm so glad I did because the second clock works perfect!

The buttons are a little sticky, but there are just enough of them (not too many and not too few), and they only operate one function each. (This a feature other clocks like this lack -- the trend seems to be less buttons that do more. That looks clean and minimalistic, but it's not functional or easy to figure out in a sleepy haze in a dark room without my glasses on.)

The radio has very precise reception (88.5 for example looks like 88.50) and the sound is good.

The amber light is very pretty and calming. I don't think I could ever go back to an alarm clock with a red or green display now.

And the low LCD display setting is very visable and the high is not blindingly bright.

I really love the nature sounds. The crickets are wonderful, as are the birds that chirp, as one of the back up wake up sound options.

The light stays on for 60 minutes after the set alarm time, which, to me, is important in a sunrise clock, because the sun shouldn't shut off just because I hit the snooze button.

Oh, and the snooze feature is very cool. You just wave your hand 3 inches from the front of the clock and you're snoozing. No buttons to fumble for and press. It's a motion-sensor snooze! And it works really well!

The light bulb is replaceable and there's a battery back up in case of a power outage.

You can even plug in an ipod. (Just unplug the connector cable when not in use, of you can use the radio or nature sounds features.)

Like I said, I LOVE this clock. It's well worth the risk and deserves much better ratings.
on February 16, 2011
I took a chance and ordered this clock in spite of other reviewers' comments that the light doesn't operate correctly. Sure enough, from the minute I plugged it in I'm experiencing the same problems they reported. When put the lamp on "sleep" it does gradually dim at the end of the sleep period -- then flashes to FULL brightness before turning off again. When the wake-up process started the next morning, the light inexplicably flashed on to full intensity right away (I know this because a phone call woke me up just beforehand). It neither dimmed nor brightened, then just as inexplicably turned off after a short period. A few minutes later the light gradually turned on just the way it's supposed to, and the birds chimed in after 20 minutes just like they're supposed to. But I was already wide awake and grumpy about the harsh flashing waking, so it didn't do me much good.

All the other features on this clock are very nice. The amber numbers are readable but not jarring on the dim setting, the light does have a sunny glow, the nature sounds don't sound too fake or artificial although they are of course repetitive. My only other complaint is that the radio still experiences static on my favorite station, no matter where I place the external antenna -- so I can't wake up to the radio.

I like all the other features on this product enough that I'm going to exchange it and hope the replacement doesn't have the same problem... if anything changes I will update the review.

UPDATED: I received a replacement lamp from Amazon.com and have had it for about three days now. So far, it doesn't have the problem the previous lamp had, so I am encouraged. I really, really, really like this clock; the light is pleasant and I find myself waking up peacefully and much better-rested than I did with my cell phone alarm. So I'm going to give this product four stars. I'd give it five, but there is still a dismaying amount of static in my favorite radio stations (which come in clearly on my other radio), no matter where I place the antenna. Still... fabulous product and occasionally the radio does work okay.
on October 26, 2011
I really like this clock/lamp. It does so many things but it is still fairly easy to use. I am still terrible at getting up in the morning but I am looking forward to using this in the winter when it is darker in the morning. A few of the features I really like are:

The motion sensor snooze, it is not easy to accidentally turn off and it means that you don't have to touch the lamp possibly pushing it backwards.
The dusk simulation is helpful when I read in bed it is a nice way to remind you that you should start to go to sleep.
Even though there are lots of buttons, they are all very clear in what they do, no clicking until you find the right function.
The display is nice and clear and you can see exactly what time it is, when the alarm is set and what type of alarm is set all in one glance.
The display is a decent size too

A few things that could be better:

A better antenna on the radio would be good. Even a socket for adding a better one yourself.
I would have liked this to be dual voltage (I am in Australia and need a step down transformer to make this work) This would expand their market.
The nature sounds are not really all that useful and on a very short loop.
The maximum volume of the radio is not that loud.

I am still glad that I bought this. I have not been able to find anything quite like it here in Australia and the delivery was earlier than expected even with the standard shipping.
on April 21, 2011
I've had this sunrise clock for 3 weeks, and I like it a lot. It took me a long time to decide which clock to get, because it seemed like there were flaws or mixed reviews for each one. Here are my thoughts:

Pros: Good shape - taller than wide, so it doesn't take up too much room on the bedside table; pleasant light with 20 brightness increments; has both sunrise and "sunset" if you put the light on sleep function (though I don't really use the sunset feature as much as I thought I would); option to have back up wake up sound be radio, beep, or birds chirping; has 4 nature sounds for white noise, relaxation or sleep; has several different control buttons for a more logical set-up than trying to scroll through one or 2 buttons for everything.

Cons: First, the nature sounds are pretty lame. They are on an obvious 5 second loop. In the clock's defense, it is primarily a sunrise light, and the sounds are extras. But it would be nice to have better sounds. Second, the clock has worked perfectly for the 3 weeks that I've had it EXCEPT one morning in the second week the light came on as set but the birds did not chirp. The volume was up and the setting showed that birds were supposed to chirp, but it did not work. It has worked every morning since then, but this one fluke made me not trust the clock. If it's really important, I set a back-up alarm clock too.

Overall, as long as the one malfunction was a one-time fluke and it doesn't happen again, I love it and would recommend it.
on May 5, 2011
I love this clock! I looked at all of the sunrise clocks, and this was the only one with all of the features that I wanted. However, the reviews concerned me. The first one I got from Amazon had the flickering problem that others reported. I sent it back as defective and the replacement one Amazon sent was perfect. The feature combo I wanted that this clock had was the sunset feature, gradually increasing nature sounds during the sunrise (instead of a one volume obnoxious beep), a back up battery, a replaceable bulb, and the sunrise light staying on during snooze. I wasn't sure about touchless, hand-waving snooze feature but I've never accidentally activated the snooze so the feature is better than I expected. And the nature sounds turn on in the last 2 minutes or so before your set alarm time, but they increase in volume until you turn it off or hit snooze, so you can't sleep through it. I wake up more relaxed, more rested, and in a better mood than I ever did with normal alarms. I love this product!
on February 22, 2011
I would give this a 3.5, but I bumped it up to 4. Maybe Oregon Scientific made improvements, because I don't have the problems with the light that others do. But it is a little touchy. If the alarm isn't set right, the light does come on to full brightness for me instead of gradually getting brighter, which I found out while testing it. But when everything is correct, it works perfectly for both the alarm and the sleep mode. I did have a problem with the display not showing the whole radio station number, but it turned out to be a problem with how I had reattached the shade (that's probably the worst thing about it, how hard it is take that darn thing off and put it back on, and how the pressure on the LED is touchy). And when I first started to program the time, etc. and tested it, the bird alarm wouldn't stop, even if I turned on the radio or tried to use a different sound - it just kept going like a broken record. But again, I think I caused it by doing too many test scenarios at once. Thankfully when I pressed the reset button and reprogrammed everything, it was fine and has been working great for the past 2 months. And if something goes really wrong, I'll send it back under the year warranty.

So that said, I absolutely love this alarm. My fiance hates the light, but I feel so much healthier and less groggy all day. It has everything I was looking for - the light of course, dim display setting, nature sounds, motion sensor snooze, and even iPod capabilities, though I wish it were a charger too. The yellow/orange was weird at first and is absolutely unacceptable on the high setting, but on low it is kind of soothing, not like those harsh reds or blues that keep you awake, and it matches the FIOS box :) It's definitely not the best manufacturing though, as is evident by the problems, but if it were it would probably cost like $300 (I would buy that clock if it existed, as long as I never had to buy another). But as it is, I'm happy to have found something that has what I was looking for and that has been working great overall!

Edit 4/1/14: power went out twice yesterday, and it no longer works. It's not a complicated electronic, so I can only assume it's just poor quality. All the other stuff in my house still works fine, including the 20+ year old alarm clocks.
on November 20, 2011
A great idea wasted.
Impossible to operate the buttons with one hand.
And major quality issues: bought 2, had to return 3, and the ones I have are still not fully functional...
Really too bad since the idea of a progressive wakeup is grounded in solid science.
Use a recent iphone/ipod with 99cents sleepcycle software, you'll save $100 to achieve a better outcome.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.