Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 29, 2016
I read this book for a class I took. It makes you think about WHY you are disorganized instead of quick fix options of going and getting more containers. If you really follow the steps she suggests, this book will impact your organizational style.
on November 3, 2014
I first borrowed this book form the public library. I liked it so much I bought a copy. this is one of those book were you actually want a hard copy to reference to. I even encouraged my mother to buy one (The person I inherited my disorganization from lol) This is great for people with ADHD/ADD
on June 13, 2000
If you're like me, you've collected quite a few books on clutter, as well as all that clutter than you live with. I've drawn some useful information from all of them, but none have been as useful as Organizing from the Inside Out. Morgenstern's book encourages you to rethink your clutter problem in terms of a program that is tailored to suit the clutterer as an individual, whose desire for organization can be realised through some clear guidelines and inspiring suggestions.
Morgernstern's book suggests that clutter problems can be diagnosed and remedied by a careful reappraisal of what it is about you that makes you have a problem with organization. Morgernstern doesn't confuse antiseptic environemnts with organization, and she doesn't lose sight of the pleasure many of us have in finding ourselves in "busy" environments. What she does give is a compelling account of how organizational problems occur, and some clear-headed advice for dealing with them. Unlike most other clutter books I have read, nothing here made me cringe, or think that Morgernstern didn't understand why people love things. If you're thinking of buying one book to sort out organizational problems in the home, I recommend this one.
*** later comment ***
I wrote this review a long time ago. I thought I'd report that I am *still* using the advice found in this book. Perhaps the thing that's stayed with me best is Julie's advice on how to get started, and on how to envisage the process. This is an incredibly helpful book.
25 helpful votes
26 helpful votes
on February 26, 2016
OK but really dated and needs an update to the world of technology. Would not buy it again.
on January 6, 2013
This is by far the best Organizing book I have ever read! I used to be pretty organized, things I needed I could find and were much simpler but over the years I've collected a lot of stuff. I've tried other books and their systems and their comments on if you dont use it toss it but they never worked for me. What I absolutely love about this book is that it encourages you to focus on what works for you now, even in the smallest sense and build on that. Not throw all your stuff away (that you won't no matter who tells you to).

We recently bought a new house and i havent been able to get anything in order no matter how much time ive spent picking up and staring at a room trying to figure out what to do with it. and its been I only read the first section an then over the weekend without even realizing it I had my dining room and office area completely put together and organized without any room staring! It really felt liberating and the room is perfect now and it didn't cost me anything but this book because I had everything I needed buried right there on the desk and table.
on February 1, 2016
This book makes sense out of organizing and addresses the problems of why so many other attempts have failed. I am using it and it is working. What more can you ask for?
on December 5, 2016
Love the book , help you get your creative juices running then when they dry pick it up again. lol
on February 14, 2017
This book has been my go-to organizing book for many years. The main reason is that Julie doesn't force a single "system" on the reader. She encourages you to go with what works for YOU. Her SPACE formula is now used by many professional organizers. Even when I'm tackling a very small organizing project (like my kitchen drawers) I follow her formula and her tips. I was taught how to be "neat" but never to be truly organized and it's something I've struggled with all my life. This book finally helped me.
0Comment|Report abuse
Organizing from the Inside Out is the “cheat sheet” of organizing books. It is PACKED with Ms. Morgenstern’s insights. She offers everything from estimates about how long typical projects will take, to her observations concerning common emotional obstacles people encounter in their efforts to get organized. She is generous when providing techniques to get structured, and points to many resources for further help. This is an excellent book to read after you’ve read foundational books like Cindy Glovinsky’s “Making Peace with the Things in Your Life.” Read the foundations, read Organizing from the Inside Out, then keep Organizing from the Inside Out to thumb through whenever you are stuck. It will get you thinking again.

Lauren Williams, Owner, Casual Uncluttering LLC, Woodinville, WA, USA
on May 27, 2014
Listen up! This book is epic...as long as you are ready for a change. I grew up in a crazy, chaotic home and had never heard the concept, 'everything should have a place'. When I read this book, my entire home was cleaned an organized in a month. The process was long, but super satisfying to figure out what to keep, what to take. I had been holding onto crap--college pots and pans and random things that had been given to me over the years that I had never used but might "one day." It's a great book, as long as you're ready and dedicated to CHANGE. #justdoit