Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Ritter PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 51 reviews
on December 22, 2012
My review is not to advertise this product, but to help other people to make a right choice. I picked out this watch after I read other's reviews and I don't regret. Let me summarize my reasons:

1. Accuracy. It loses 5 sec/day. For an automatic is a very good accuracy. Seiko SNZG 15, a watch that I also like, is 15 sec/day slow. Accuracy range acceptable for this category is +/- 15sec. It doesn't have a "no hack" caliber but you can trick it. When you set the time, turn the crown, just a touch, counter clockwise, until the seconds hand stops. Wait until the reference device got with the seconds hand in the same position with your Orient stopped seconds hand. In that very moment, turn the crown clockwise and set the minutes and hours hands. This is just for accuracy maniacs!

2. Appearance. Although is a diving watch, it is elegant enough to wear it in different occasions, even like a suit accessory. Replacing the hours numbers with dots along with the metalic band, both polished and brushed contributes to this feeling.

3.Sport side. I didn't try, but the company ensures for 200m water resistance. It is quite amazing for diving lovers. Seiko SNZG15, I have mentioned before ensures for 100m. It has also a unidirectional bezel that allows setting a time referrence.

4. Night visibility. It has luminous hands, indices. I can tell you they are bright enough and the light last good hours.

5. Band. It comes with the full length in order to fit differrent hand size. This is the laborious part, because, frequently, you need to size the bracelet by removing some links. In my case, 7" wrist, I had to remove 2 links. You can do it by buying a tool kit from Amazon, what I recommend, or go to a jewler.

6. Delivery. It shipped right away and I got it in 3 days.

7. Finally. I got complete satisfaction with the ORIENT BLACK RAY watch.
review image
on August 2, 2014
I have always thought the Rolex Submariner was the most beautiful design I have ever seen - timeless and understated, yet masculine. I can not afford one, and would have a problem in wearing one because of the connotations it brings. I searched for something that would look like one but not have the stigma of a counterfeit. Reading watch forums I came across the Orient Ray - it looked gorgeous on their website. I have always worn Edifices and Eco-Drives in the past, having a mechanical watch was not very enticing. Since I have got it, the watch is amazing and has put to rest my fears. I can leave it for a day and it will still run, keeps time very accurately and it is often mistaken for a Rolex Submariner - I like telling the backstory to this sub-brand of Seiko. If you like how the watch looks I am pretty sure you will enjoy it in person. Its an excellent purchase and have no regrets - rather am a bit evangelical about it. Also note - the lume is unlike any I have seen, powerful and long lasting with an other worldly glow.
review image
on June 25, 2015
This is my fourth Orient watch and I can't say enough good things about this product. The watch is a good size, (not too large or too small) has a nice weight to it adding to the quality feel of it. You can compare this side by side with a Rolex Submariner and for the life of me I don't know why anyone would spend $5,000 or more for a Rolex when this watch looks and feels nearly identical to a Rolex for about $4900 less. All of my Orient automatic watches keep very good time and I personally prefer the mechanical movements over battery powered quartz movements. If you don't wear it for a couple of days, it only takes a few seconds to reset the date and time, give it a couple of shakes to wind it and your ready to go. If you wear it every day it will keep running forever. The lume is fantastic too. It's also nice to have both the day and the date display. No complaints here.
on September 4, 2015
I will update this at a later date when I have owned this watch longer but this is a beautiful watch. I learned my lesson recently when I bought an Invicta Pro Diver in July. The movement in that was junk and stopped working 2 weeks after I bought it. My dad owns both an Orient Ray and a Seiko SKX009 and he has nothing but good things to say about it. When I returned my Invicta I spent the extra $50 and bought this watch. It's beautiful and so far the movement is working great! The band is much more solid than the Invicta and the lume on this watch is incredible! I woke up in the middle of the night and the watch was still glowing! Really happy with my purchase so far. Hopefully in a few weeks I will have only good things to say about it like mostly everyone that owns an Orient.

I also want to add that Long Island Watch is awesome for getting my watch to me in 2 days!
on July 15, 2014
I purchased this watch as a gift for my husband. It did not disappoint. This is a very fine looking watch, and thus far it's been keeping perfect time. My husband did take it to a jeweler when he first got it, and they were the ones who initially set up the watch for him ... but the primary purpose of the jeweler visit was to have a few links taken out of the watchband -- I'm sure we could have figured out the initial set-up ourselves if need be. As other reviewers have noted, this watch looks expensive, but in an understated way. It looks good on my husband's wrist whether he's wearing shorts and a t-shirt or a suit. I'd never heard of the Orient brand before, but I'm very pleased with the overall quality of this watch.
on April 2, 2015
I have had this watch for less than a month so I am NOT going to write a review on whether it is gaining or losing any seconds because that is not that important for a watch at this price range. That being said it seems to keep time very well and I did own a Bambino and it also kept time very well. This watch has a lot of heft to it and does not feel or look cheap and I have absolutely no complaints. I would recommend this watch to anyone and I would buy another watch from this company.
on February 26, 2014
What I like about it:
- It keeps excellent time. It's more accurate than I expected at this price point (beating out a more expensive Seiko Automatic in my collection, for instance). Mine gains exactly 15 seconds per day.
- It has an excellent power reserve. It stays running off the wrist longer than any of the other auto's I've got.
- The lume is great! It's really bright, making it easy to read in the dark.
- It's great looking at arms length. It looks like a classic diver (bringing the Submariner to mind), and is the right size for me (with my 7.5" wrist). It's got the right blend of polished and brushed surfaces on the case and bracelet to *appear* elegant, but not showy.
- Finally, it's a good looking watch I can wear anywhere without the fear of losing or damaging an heirloom.

What's not so good:
- While the internals are surprisingly good, the exterior fit and finish (especially the bracelet) leaves a lot to be desired. Specifically, the safety latch on the clasp doesn't sit flush like it should. Not only does this bug me whenever I look down and notice it, it makes it possible to snag the safety on things and pull it open. Very annoying.
- Worse still, where the bracelet meets the case, the "end-links" that make the transition between the two are loose and shaky, making an audible noise when I move my arm (they're also not contoured as artfully as you'd find in a high-end diver's watch, but there's no sense comparing this to a timepiece costing 10x or more the price). I tried tweaking them with my various tools to firm up the connection, and I made it better, but they still rattle. With another go at it, I can probably settle them down. (Update: I took off the bracelet and tightened those links up by bending them slightly with my fingers. Much better. If yours rattles and you don't want to adjust it yourself, have a jeweler make this simple repair. I'm enjoying the watch much more now)
- The crystal must not be Sapphire (no real surprise at ~$150), because it's very easy to scratch (although the bracelet shows no scratches at all, after 3 months of wear).
- The uni-directional bezel WAS nearly impossible to turn at first. After three months, it's merely difficult. That's a good thing... unless the loosening trend continues indefinitely.
- Others have complained that the Day and Date don't line up squarely in the windows. I've observed this problem, but also found that if I tickle the crown/pusher *very* carefully, I can get them to line up better (and they stay lined up for me until I have to reset the watch).
- Finally, the extra screw-down pusher for advancing the day (at the 2-o'clock position) works fine, but looks... extra; unnecessary. Doubtless this was a compromise they had to make to deliver this kind of accuracy and all-stainless construction at this price point, but it makes it that little bit harder to set compared to my other single-crown autos.

Even though I wrote more about complaints than praises, I gave the watch four stars, because I do feel it delivers great value (especially in the accuracy department) for the modest investment. I would buy it either as place-holder until you can afford the diver you *really* want, or as a stunt-double for your fancier watches to be worn when theft or damage seem likely.
on August 2, 2015
The watch reached me well before the agreed upon time. It was in perfect condition. Since this was my first purchase off the Internet, I was a bit worried about the quality of the product. But when the package reached me I was amazed and happy to see this watch surpassed my expectations.
Only I wish that the manufacturers repalce the mineral glass with sapphire

I would definitely come back to shop again some other time.

Cheers
on July 4, 2014
This watch offers a lot for its price: good looks, accuracy, nice weight, and comfort. My coworkers wear watches 10-50 times the price of this watch and they all think it's a great timepiece. It runs at about +/- 15 seconds per day and I've only had to adjust it by a minute each week. My wrists are a bit on the small size, so I had to remove a few links on the band to get it to fit right, and even so it doesn't look like a hideously large watch. Overall, I love it!
on October 21, 2015
After a few years of wearing this watch, it's become my daily watch with my Tag Heur and others sitting around waiting for special occassions. Keeps excellent time, is solid, and looks great. Win win win.