Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 284 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 324 reviews
on September 18, 2015
I have owned many watches over the years and this watch is by far my favorite. Coming from a Citizen Atomic Eco Drive watch, this watch is a fair competitor. First off, if you are looking for an accurate automatic watch, look no further than the Orient Mako. Below are a few of the pros and the cons that I have found over the past few months of wearing the beautiful Mako and I hope that this review appeals to both new watch owners as well as our seasoned friends.

Pros:

1. Price: At $142.50 as of 9/18/15, you can’t beat it for a beautiful, automatic watch. For the bang for the buck, most other automatics around this price range are likely to run much faster or slower than the Mako and will have sub-par components attached to it.
2. Accuracy: Without self-regulation, my watch tends to run about 1-2 seconds fast per day. I had a Bulova dress watch that was about 3X the price and would run about 20 seconds fast per day. Finding it a pain to adjust my watch once a week, I quickly put it in its case and wear it on occasion. If you are not into self-regulating your automatic, you should look into it. I have found that while set crown down, my particular watch runs about +1 over the course of about 8 hours. Set vertically, 12 o’clock high, the watch will run -4 seconds over 8 hours. And set on its back, the watch will run +4 seconds over the course of 8 hours. Using that information, I can keep the watch +-2 seconds from atomic time throughout the day, every day.
3. Face: Although it is stated that it is black, the face has a grey/black tint to it. While at first I thought this was a con, it has grown on me. It helps to cut down reflections from the sun on sunny days. As far as the hands go, the minute and hour hands have a nice sharp point to them so you have the feeling of owning a precise watch. The red and silver second hand has a nice sweep to it and gives the watch a sporty feel to it, almost like you are watching a tachometer rise in a nice sports car. The lume on the hands is surprisingly bright. I have found that wearing it in normal conditions around the house before bed, the hands and markers will remain lit for about 5-6 hours. Of course it does fade with time, but it is still readable throughout the night.
4. Crowns: Both the date and the time crowns are polished up nicely, although I am not quite sure why there is a crown for the day, since it is set once and left alone if you wear it daily. Both screw down with ease and hold a nice tight seal.
5. Case: The case is stainless steel and is polished on the edges, but if you look closely, you will notice the top of the case around the lugs is brushed. I like this feature because if you scuff the stainless on anything, it is likely to remain unnoticeable. As far as the weight of the case and the band goes, there are many out there who state that there is “heft” to the watch. I find that to be untrue. With other watches around the same size, I have found that it is quite light and unnoticeable on the wrist. I have had a cheaper RedLine watch in the past of similar size and found that it was like having a brick attached to your arm. In comparison to the Citizen Eco Drive and the Bulova Automatic, this is relatively light.

Neutral :

1. Crystal: Personally, I am not a fan of crystal as a lot of my watches have sapphire but I do have to say that the crystal on this watch has withstood normal wear and tear. I think that Orient could have gotten away with adding a sapphire face and charging more, but there are plenty of people out there willing to mod the face for you. As far as reducing reflections, the face is awesome although because crystal protrudes from the case, light gets refracted and occasionally casts circles of light across the face.
2. Band: Excluding the clasp, it is a very nice band. I have no complaints. It is not all too heavy and it withstands scuffing with everyday use.

Cons:

1. Clasp: I love everything about the watch but the clasp. The first day of wear, the clasp had scratched to the point of almost not being able to see the Orient insignia on it. It did not fold down all the way which left the clasp protruding up on one side by about 1/8”. Although that doesn’t seem like a lot, it will begin to bother your wrist if you type or write. To overcome this issue, I simply ordered a few 22mm Zulu straps. This watch looks great in just about any color of strap you place on it.

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone that wants an accurate, affordable automatic watch. Do realize that it is your first automatic; it will not be as accurate as a quarts watch. Read other reviews and see how others love their Mako. Rating: 5 out of 5 for me.
review image
on November 17, 2015
I originally purchased this watch in April of 2010 and have worn it almost every day since then. It does most everything with me at work and at home, has been ridden pretty hard and come out no worse for the wear. Swimming, yard work, water skiing, chopping wood, working out, even went diving with me a couple of time to about 20m…It was a wonderful purchase and I’m still, 5 and a half years later, very happy with it. Other than a few busted end pins on the bracelet and one lost end piece to said bracelet (an end pin broke and the segment flew off as the bracelet hit the ground) I have no complaints what so ever! I have begun to replace the end pins (whether showing wear or not) every 6 months, just to be sure I don’t break any more…

The case, movement and the bracelet are in great shape considering how hard I am on this watch, and the crystal and bezel are still in reasonably good shape with minor wear. This piece keeps REASONABLY good time, but be aware it is not (just as most automatics) perfect. Mine runs a bit fast (obviously better than running slow) and I usually only need to reset the time every other month when I inevitably screw it up changing the date. I figure it adds less than 2 minutes in 60 days....yeah, I'll take that!

Honestly I’m considering buying another for when this watch inevitably dies, because I love the look and feel and my Orient has served me well for better than half a decade!
review image
This is a very nice watch considering the price, and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

It's substantial, but not heavy; the case and bracelet have a nice combination of brushed and polished finish (polished on sides). The bracelet is nice, but does has a little play (to be expected for the price). The clasp is a double locking fold over with 3 micro adjustments, and is stamped with the word "ORIENT" and their trademark logo. The screw down crown is stamped with the Orient logo and is used to set the time and date (no winding and non hacking). The screw down pusher at 2 o'clock is used to set the day of the week. Both the screw down crown and pusher are nicely done. The bezel rotates nicely; it's nice and clicky, lines up perfectly with the markers, and is not too hard or too easy to rotate.

The movement is an in-house Orient automatic movement that appears to be quite accurate. After wearing it for a day, and letting it sit a day, it was still ticking away and set to the correct time. I can't speak to how many seconds fast or slow it was.

The textured grip around the bezel is the only thing I really don't like about this watch. I don't like the way it feels to the touch. The texture feels rough (almost sharp) and just feels "cheap" to the touch (in my opinion). Although this is minor, and definitely not a deal breaker for a watch in this price range, I did deduct a star for that and the play in the bracelet.

UPDATE 9/22/15:
After owning and wearing this watch for a few months, it has become one of my favorites. It still looks incredible considering the amount of bumps it has been subjected to, and mineral crystal is still flawless. I wore it to a water park for 2 days, were it was subjected to hours of wave pools and water slides, and it continues to work flawlessly. This is a great go anywhere do anything watch.
on October 24, 2015
I've owned this for a year and a half now and I can personally attest to how great this watch is for the price. For 1 year, I wore this almost everyday in almost every condition imaginable. From working in a machine shop/lab, to swimming or diving. I've noticed that the automatic movement requires no adjustments for 2 weeks. Sometimes I forget to adjust or calibrate the watch for months and yet this watch is off about a minute. For a 150$ automatic watch, I find this very exceptional. The design is also worth talking about. Unlike many other companies, this watch doesn't try to copy the signature Rolex submariner. It has it's unique characteristics. The bezel is not big, making the glass face to be much bigger. This allows the numbers and date in the watch to sit further away from each other. I like the look since it doesn't look like everything is cramped in. However, I will say that the bezel is pretty hard to turn. It's stiff and you really need a good grip to turn it fully. If you don't you'll require multiple twists.

I've bumped this watch into many many surfaces and even dropped this watch into solid pavement 2-3 times, yet have one moderate sized scratch with 3 small sized ones. None of which are visible if looking at the watch more than 5 inches away. Very good especially considering the negligence of my part. The bracelet is something I expected not to like, but did anyway. Many watches I've tried in this price range have really meh bracelet that feel flimsy and lightweight. Some also rattles during intensive movements. While the orient stainless steel is far from perfect, it has a weight to it, is decently solid, and overall looks good in the eyes. I huge plus to Orient for caring about the bracelet, something many fail to do. While it looks great with the stainless steel, it also rocks exceptionally with nato bands, which is another huge plus. No matter the preference, this watch will look good in many if not all types of band, leather, nato, steel, etc. It can properly rock the sporty look or the eloquent look very well.

Absolutely impressed with Orient's Mako. You can't go wrong with this.
on May 27, 2013
My mako is built like a tanks. Although I got it free from Joey with the company, it is clearly a timepiece to be reckoned with. Indeed, mine does appear to have lost its battle with years of use, but it is still keeping excellent time; within 4-5 seconds a day! My watch looks like it's previous owner was a mover as the excessive wear all over the case and bracelet shows. Surprisingly, it is still ticking. I plan on wearing this until I can afford a new Mako. I guess now we know where all the "free" watches that Orient offers come from. No pun intended.
As nice as this dive watch is I do have one gripe about it; I wish there was only one crown as opposed to the two which give the watch a cluttered appearance. Most dive watches only have one crown and I am clueless as to the reason this has two. Common sense tells you only one crown is necessary to change the time as well as the date as is the case with most watches except this one. If any Mako owners are better informed about this than I am please post me a comment on the reason for the two crowns that are crowding the case. Based on other customers' reviews this is what discourages customers from ordering an Orient Mako.
*UPDATE*
I have since sent this in for repair and got the cracked crystal and scuffed bezel replaced. I've been wearing it every day since and has kept excellent time. Although as a handicapped man I know nothing regarding automatic watches I do know it kepps good enough time to get me to all my college classes and doctors appointments on time. I do have one gripe about it; the bezel is not solid but rather it consists of two pieces, the top lid and the actual bezel. The only reason I know is what because the black part of the bezel which is on top kept popping out and almost got lost. I sent it in and Orient merely "glued" it back on. Why couldn't Orient make their bezel one piece like the higher end brands like Seiko and Citizen as opposed to two like on the Makos? If the top part of the bezel on your Mako pops out like on mine all you need to do is super glue it back on. No need to spend to get it repaired.
on January 25, 2016
As others have said, the Mako is an outstanding value for an entry-level automatic. It's my first and after a couple weeks of regular wear, I'm very happy with the purchase. I have a handful of inexpensive watches (a Timex Weekender, an older Skagen and a GPS watch for running) so I am by no means a collector and this is a significant upgrade for me.

A few thoughts:

- The level of finish seems quite high for the price point, at least to my inexperienced eye. The bezel takes a lot of effort to rotate, but the screw-down crown and date button are easy enough to operate; visibility is great thanks to the black face and large numbers. Very luminous at night.
- I love the brushed stainless of the bracelet and case, and the bezel's slightly brighter finish (gloss black and polished steel) was a pleasant surprise out of the box. It's attractive without being overwrought.
- The watch certainly has some heft to it, but I've gotten used to it quickly, and the weight lends a feeling of quality. It's less bulky than the oversized watches that are en vogue at the moment and fits my narrower wrist very well. I had four links removed and it's a perfect fit.
- My initial accuracy check has it running about three seconds fast per day.
- A few reviewers have been unhappy with the quality of the clasp. I agree that it's not the watch's best feature and could feel a little more robust, especially with the rest of the bracelet being so solidly built, but for me it's a minor issue given the value.

Overall a great timepiece so far, and one that I would recommend to anyone looking for an automatic to wear regularly or the beginning of a decent collection. I like the fact that the movement is Japan-made and manufactured in-house by Orient, partially because my father's been wearing Seiko watches for years and I hope to get similar reliability and longevity out of this piece.
on September 20, 2014
Fantastic watch! Automatic, which means that it is powered by you just wearing it and that it's all mechanical. Looks great, and is built really well. Everyone says that the finish and quality of this watch is on par with watches that are in the $500 range, and while I have never owned a watch that expensive, I can believe it. Automatic watches are not as accurate as quartz, but this watch has a great reputation for being quite accurate. Mine is, on average, 5 sec fast per day. Also, the bracelet is great. Comfortable, well-made, and just low-key classy. Watch snobs like to say that the bracelet feels cheap, and maybe that's true compared to a much more expensive watch, but it's by far the nicest one on a watch that I've owned and the whole watch far better looking than other diver's watches in the price range, like the Invicta ones. Been wearing mine for a year and love it. UPDATE: I recently was in a bike wreck while wearing this watch. The crystal was shattered, the bezel scratched, but the watch still worked. I had the crystal replaced, and it's running as well as ever.
on May 31, 2013
I ordered this watch from Amazon in April 2012. I've owned it 14 months now and wear it 5 days a week.

The watch is good looking and, keeping in mind it's a hefty dive watch, not too large even for smaller wrists.

About a month ago I noticed the time shown was about 10 minutes fast. I reset the watch, thinking nothing of it. A little over two days later the watch was again running just under 10 minutes fast.

Although this watch is durable and handsome, I can't recommend it due to its poor timekeeping after just one year -- just past the warranty period.
on October 1, 2016
I much prefer manual and automatic watches over battery powered quartz models. I have over 20 that range in price from $80 to $8000 and I love to rotate them as the occasion dictates. There's just something very cool about having such a complicated piece of precision machinery strapped to your wrist. I really thought this was a well made Japanese automatic for the money and I loved this watch when I first purchased it. I even bought one as a gift for my brother. Sadly it has developed a serious malfunction that has resulted in the day/date display not working at all. Can't even adjust it with the stem. Very disappointed. The Seiko Sport 5 movement I purchased around the same time is still going strong......not impressed Orient.
on May 31, 2015
This is my second Orient.
The first one was a blue Mako that I bought as a "beater watch" to be worn to work daily. When that watch arrived it was so beautiful that I couldn't bring myself to wear it for work.
I recently bought this watch as the new fancy beater watch and I love it! It's beautiful (but not so beautiful...), and keeps time well. It's a good size for almost any man's wrist. It's rugged in appearance.
I really respect Orient...the more you know about them the more there is to love.

If you're in the market for an inexpensive automatic diver watch, bypass Invicta and get the Orient! You'll be glad you did! Trust me!
Btw, the blue face with blue bezel Orient Mako is a very beautiful watch. If you want an eye-catching watch get the blue.

The black steel Mako is rugged in appearance. Keeps time fairly well (as good as an automatic watch for under $200 should be expected to).
It's better looking in person than in the photo shows.

There's a reason why there are so many people love Orient watches. They do the job better than the competition.

Know that this watch is an automatic. You have to wear it for it to operate, and really you should take it off and give it a gentle wind every few days.
If you want a rugged waterproof automatic watch, for less than $15K, this one does the job very well! :)

P.S. The back of these watches (Mako) isn't glass, it's steel. You can't watch it wind, or look at the workings when it's off of your wrist.
If you want a glass-back watch, you'll have to go with Invicta...and you'll be getting a lesser watch in my opinion.
(Yes, I've owned the invicta version...the crystal popped off after about six months of ownership.) :(