Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Orient Men's FEM65001MW Orange Mako Stainless Steel Automatic Dive Watch
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

VINE VOICEon April 3, 2010
The Orient Mako has a great reputation among watch fans and it deserves to be a more widely known brand to the public at large. This watch, the "entry level" Orient, does many things well and is a wonderful introduction to the brand.

Orient is a small Japanese company that is partially owned by Seiko. They've been around for more than 50 years, and their claim to fame is that they are a mechanical watch producer that designs and makes 100% of their movements in-house. The in-house designation is significant as it means the company does more than just buy off the shelf designs but rather is directly involved in creating and tuning the mechanical heart of their product. Rolex is know for their in-house work, but even such costly brands as Omega, TAG Heuer, and Breitling have most of their movements made for them by other companies (ETA for the most part). To have a finely crafted automatic watch in this price range that has been designed and manufactured by the seller is rare to say the least. The watches are also hand made, and in Japan as well.

As mentioned this is an automatic watch. The watch cannot be hand wound so you need to shake it to start it, and then it winds itself as you move your arm during the day - no batteries needed. The timekeeping is a tad less precise than a quartz, and for this movement (Orient's 469) the manufacturer states you can normally expect to lose up to to 20 seconds slow or fast each day. (More on this later.) Two related points: if you want to keep reasonably accurate time, you need to reset your watch every week or so, and if you are utterly sedentary during the day (i.e. drive to work, sit at a desk, drive home, sit in front of the TV) the watch may not get enough winding to stay working. You hardly need to run a marathon, maybe 15 minutes of walking total throughout the day will probably keep your watch (and yourself!) functioning well. The power reserve for this movement is roughly 40 hours, which I believe is accurate based on my own tests. (This is the time the watch will take to stop after you take it off when it is fully wound up.) The watch has a day and date complication, with weekday available in Spanish and English. The date complication is not "quick adjusting" so the day and date should not be adjusted from the hours of 9 PM to 4 AM as the gears are in the process of slowly rotating both day and date dials in that time frame.

Minor annoyance for precisonists: the second hand cannot be "hacked" - that is, when you set the time by pulling the crown out, the second hand continues to turn. That means getting an exact time sync is a challenge, as you will be always be fast or slow by however many seconds the third hand is away from 12 o'clock when you push the crown in. Unless you are leading a commando team on a raid, this probably will not be a major issue, but more expensive Swiss movements like those by ETA do offer the hacking feature as do some pricier Seikos. This and the accuracy issue is the biggest negative differences between quartz ownership and owning an automatic.

As to accuracy --- Orient avoids building your hopes up as the manual tells you to expect +25 to -15 seconds of time loss of gain per day. However, over 3 weeks of testing, my Mako keeps time to within +5 seconds per day. This is phenomenal and is within the realm of COSC standards (the expensive and prestigious Swiss timekeeping standard that watches that cost twenty or more times as much as the Mako are tested to). For a watch costing less than a cell phone to meet this standard over time is pretty amazing! You may or may not get this accuracy - anecdotally, many other web reviewers seem to have encountered this level of accuracy in their tests, so I think Orient is on to something here...

As for durability --- the face of the watch is mineral crystal, not sapphire. The bracelet is solid filled links, and feels and looks costly. The watch itself is water resistant to 200 meters, and features two screw down crowns (one for time setting, one for setting the weekday.) The bezel is steel, and turns relatively easily; it is scalloped, not coin-edged (i.e. needs your thumb not your fingernail to turn). Lume is on the dial numbers, the hour and minute hands, and at the 12 o'clock position of the bezel. The lume is decent, but not as good as say the Seiko Monster series - it will last for maybe 4-6 hours of light after sustained exposure to bright light. Warranty is one year through the manufacturer. Packaging is mundane, the manual barely adequate. The watch will probably need a lube and tune up once every 3-5 years, my estimate.

The watch is attractive and understated in style, especially with its black face. Unlike other inexpensive mechanical watches in its price range (cough, Invicta) the Mako does not strive to slavishly imitate the Rolex Submariner, but instead has its own aesthetic going on. The watch case is 41 mm, and the face of the watch itself is the standard 30mm diameter. On my 7.5 inch wrist, this sizing is adequate, but if the watch were slightly bigger it would probably look nicer, at least according to current fashion. (The newer and pricier Mako II aka "Hogrider" is indeed bigger by 5 mm but for roughly 33% higher cost). The neatest thing about this (or any other good automatic) is watching the sweep of the second hand. The watch mainspring beats 6 times per second (21,600 bph), and the second hand has 6 distinct stops between each marked second on the face. This slow majestic sweep is far more elegant that the clunk-ka-chunk precise once per second movement of a quartz analog. The back of the watch is a solid screw-down design, enhancing durability but without showing the movement inside as "exhibtion" casebacks would. (This is the one point I prefer about the Invicta 8926, though arguably looking at the blah Citizen Miyota movement on the 8926 has pretty limited appeal...)

The watch itself is superbly made. Everything feels solid, from the bracelet to the crown to the bezel. There is an Orient logo on the face and on the bracelet that is not problematic due to its subtlety. This doesn't look like a Rolex, but the level of quality is immensely impressive given the price and few observers will think this is a cheap watch by just looking at it. One issue: Orient almost always ships the wrong manual with the watch. None of the watches in the manual I got looked like the actual model, and some features had to be puzzled out. You can also download the correct manual from the manufacturer's website.

As a stylish "beater", this would be a good choice, as it is sturdy, handsome, and yet inexpensive enough that if you somehow did damage it, you wouldn't be crying the same tears that you would if you mashed up your $4,000 Omega Planet Ocean. If you were actually using this for diving, the orange color is highly visible, but the watch feels a tad less sturdy than the more expensive and less accurate Seiko Orange Monster, and it also lacks the ISO Diver certification of the Seiko, which sets standards for visibility, durability, etc. This is not to say the Mako does not meet these standards, merely that it has not been officially certified as such.
The Orient Mako is a great watch, and hopefully at its low price point and high quality will help Orient establish itself firmly in the US market. Try one and see!
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2012
I've got a few other Orient watches, including the "Blue Mako". I was so impressed with the look of the face and the build quality, I decided to splurge and get the Orange Mako when I saw the price had dropped recently.

The watch arrived quickly and my first impressions were very positive - exactly what I expected. The orange face is a reddish-orange color. I wish it was more of a pure orange, but it doesn't look bad at all. Where the Blue Mako has an iridescent face, this watches face is more of a consistent, flat color. The bezel is a nice black enamel that compliments the dial nicely.

The bracelet is very nice for a watch in this price range, it's all solid stainless links, but where the bracelet joins the watches' lugs it is just a folded link, not a solid link. The folder over clasp works well and is very secure. I have a large wrist and the bracelet has plenty of length for me. Positive marks to Orient for making the bracelet long enough for a big wrist (one of my Orient's with a leather band is too short for comfort on my wrist, so I was a little worried about this watch). My other nit with the bracelet is that the links do scratch fairly easily. It's not a huge issue as the bracelet is subtly brushed, but it will scratch if you bang it on a desk or other hard surfaces. For this watch, since I already had a Mako with a stainless steel bracelet, I decided to put a NATO/G10 strap on the watch (22mm PVD James Bond Orange / Grey / Black - Nylon Nato Ballistic Military Watch Band Strap G-10 Fit's All!!). It looks very nice (though the oranges don't match exactly) and I've gotten a lot of positive compliments on the combination.

The bezel is unidirectional, but like other reviewers have written it's VERY tight. My example takes two hands to turn, but it does turn. I'm hoping that it will losen up a little with more use.

The performance of my watch has been good. I don't have it down to seconds fast/slow per day, but it's been fine. An automatic watch is never going to be as accurate as a quartz watch. So far I've not had any issues with it making me late (or early) for any appointments.

The lume on the watch is nice and bright - a green color. I haven't gone out of my way to to expose it to bright light, but it's easy enough to read in the middle of the night when I wake up. The lume overall on my Seiko Black Monster is stronger, longer, but this is no problem to see in a dark room even after 5+ hours.

For the cost this watch is very impressive. I am very happy to have it in my collection.

Pros:
* Looks really nice in person
* Large enough bracelet for good-sized wrist
* Keeps time well enough for an automatic
* Screw-down crowns for time/date & day
* 200M WR rating
* Solid links on bracelet (for all but end links)
* Good lume on numbers & hands - lume last a long time
* Orient makes all their movements in-house

Cons:
* Can't wind the watch manually, can't hack the movement.
* Bezel is extremely tight to turn
* Folded links at the ends (not solid)
* No lume on second hand
* Uses mineral crystal, could scratch easier than sapphire
* Bracelet links are pretty easy to scratch
on September 28, 2012
There are other comprehensive reviews so I will keep this short. Feel like a solid watch. The one negative is that the day and date lettering do not seem to line up properly but very minor point.

Update: The date dial has broken within a couple of weeks. Fortunately, it is within 30 days. Amazon did an exchange with no hassle. The exchange even comes with one day shipping.
on September 21, 2010
There are actually many many reviews of the Orange Mako online if you search the forums. It's a very well made watch, with all the movements produced in house in japan.

I bought this recently, and it's been a very good and reliable watch. Timekeeping is quite accurate and have only had to adjust maybe once cause I forgot to put it in the watchwinder. There are also a bunch of reviews comparing this version to the newer Mako 2... I decided to go with the original. Very nice little features, like how the band is brushed on the top, but highly polished on the sides. Easy to remove links by pushing out the pins from the side in the direction of the small arrow. Just need to have the right tools for the job.

The watch is slightly noisy when you move - but you can only really hear it if you have the watch up by your ear. The sound is of the internal weight turning to wind the watch up. BTW, you cannot manually wind this watch with the crown stem. You have to move the watch in order to wind it. Not a problem if you have a watch winder or plan on wearing this watch often. Supposed to have a 40 hour power reserve I think. Lots of information can be had by visiting Orient's USA website. Also, they have many coupons - some for as much as 50% off with additional bonuses thrown in (T-shirt, free watch) - just have to check on their website.
on February 21, 2013
Have been wearing a Luminox Titanium Dive watch for years and have owned several Seiko dive watches and two Rolexes... and this Orient is by far my favorite!

Great case, we'll designed and the best watch for the money on the market. Unbelievable that this kind of quality can be had at this price!

I have five more Orient watches on my current "to buy" list.

You just cannot go wrong with this watch!
review image
on October 20, 2015
I normally do not write reviews but I feel like I would be doing the watch, and anyone considering buying one a disservice if I did not. I was in the market for a new watch, and I wanted an automatic (because they are cool) that would be tough enough to be my daily wear and of a high enough quality that I could pass it on to my kids in 60 years. I spent hours (yes, hours) researching which would be the best watch one could buy for the lowest possible price and I was fortunate to stumble upon this hidden gem. Before I go on to write my review I think it is important to make note of a few very important things I learned that you should keep an eye out for when you want to buy a quality watch.
-the following is in no particular order-

1st -- You want the watch to have a round face. This makes it easier for watch makers/repairers to replace the crystal if need be.
2nd-- You want the watch to have a sapphire crystal because they are less prone to scratching
3rd-- You want the watch case to be made entirely out of stainless steel. (the case is the part of the watch that is not the strap)
4th-- If the watch has metal bands you want the end links (the link that connects to the watch) to be a solid piece. Not a folded piece of metal.
5th-- You want a water resistance rating of at least 10ATM which is 10 meters.
6th-- You want the watch to have a quality movement inside.

If you find a watch that meets all of these criteria, you can expect to be spending close to a thousand dollars or more. This watch nearly has all of those things at one tenth of the price. It does not have a sapphire crystal or solid end links which to me ore the least two important things. The attention to detail on this watch rivals that of Rolex. Before you write me off as a lunatic for saying that let me explain. Im not saying the watch is made out of the same caliber of materials BUT the same care and craftsmanship. The crown has an orient stamp on it. That little detail is usually only found on higher end watches. The band has a gorgeous orient logo stamp on it as well. The face of the watch is immaculate and has a nice metal logo on it.

Lastly the watches movement. As far as I can tell, there are 3 levels of movement quality in the watch world. Swiss (supposedly the best), Japanese (middle grade), and Chinese (the worst). This watch comes with an in-house Japanese movement. That means that the inner workings of the watch were made in the same factory the watch was made in, and not by some third party. This is a tremendous benefit because orient can monitor the quality of what they are putting in there watches and make sure it is all working correctly before it even leaves the factory.

As soon as I got my watch I took it to my local watchmaker to have it tested and it was running at +15 seconds a day which is well within its specifications. Orient has really become a force to be reckoned with in the quality watch world. They are making Very High End watches at a very Low End price. I would not be surprised at all if some day Orient is listed right up there with Rolex and Omega.

As for this watch not having a sapphire crystal or solid end links, they have just released an updated model called the Orient Mako USA that has all of the elements I discussed earlier and much more for only $225.

So in conclusion, this watch is amazing and you should not pass it up.
review image
on August 25, 2013
I have been accumulating moderately priced watches, some quartz movement and some self winding. Watches are the only jewelry a man can wear other than a wedding ring that don't look out of place, i.e. gold chains. I've had good luck with Orient watches so far. This is the third one I've bought.
The CEM65001M, more easily referred to as the "Orange Mako" is a diver. It says it's water resistant to 200 meters. I don't know as I never intend to go that far under water and would get it wet only when washing the car. Orient Makos are not styled like the classis Rolex Submariner. They have their own appearance. While they won't make a Rolex owner stop and look twice, these are good looking watches. The case is all steel, no see-through back, much like a Submariner. The bracelet is nicely polished machined steel. I like the orange face. One reviewer said it was not like the picture on the web but I find it is, a nice brilliant orange color. To adjust the bracelet, you either take it to a jeweler or use the watch repair kit you can get from Amazon. Taking a couple links out by yourself is not difficult.
To start the movement, you shake it. If the movement is not wound up very much, you can "hack" the movement by gently turning the stem in the direction to make the hands go backward. That way you can set the second hand. To adjust the date, you use the stem. To adjust the day, you unscrew the button guard beside the stem and push in the button until the correct day comes up. You have you have your choice of the days of the week in either English or Spanish.
The movement runs fast about 3-5 seconds a day. This has been my experience with most inexpensive self-winding watches. However, after a year or so, depending on how much it gets worn, the movement will settle down and gain less than 1 second a day. I have another Orient, a dress watch, that gives my quartz watches a run for the money. Don't worry about this at first. Trust me, it will improve.
If I had any criticism, it would be the bezel which is an elapsed time indicator. This is really stiff and hard to move at first. To cure this, make sure the stem and day button are screwed down tight. Immerse the watch in warm water with some dish washing liquid and move the bezel. It will get a bit easier. While you are rinsing it off, keep moving the bezel. After a few days, it will be much easier to twist around. I like the elapsed time bezel. I can see that I've been sitting in the dentist's office for 25 minutes before I get taken back.
I give this watch 4 stars. It's not perfect but then I didn't pay a lot for it. A Rolex is perfect and you pay about $7,000 for it too. 4 Stars and $109.60 is fine with me.
on January 31, 2014
Two years on and this watch is still running well, and keeping good time. As a teacher I need to be able to accurately assess how much time I have left in a class, and setting the watch once a week is enough to make sure that it is out by no more than a minute come Friday, which is well within the advertised accuracy limits - and better by far than the school clocks.

I also dive recreationally, and have taken this watch down below 35m with no problems whatsoever. Often watches rated to 100m resistant will start developing condensation inside the case, even if they never really leak - this watch has shown no signs of any such problem.

My only complaint is that for the truly accuracy obsessed, there is no way to hack the second hand, which means that it will seldom agree with other time pieces to the second - a minor annoyance of no real significance unless you require to-the-second precision.
on August 10, 2013
I have both this and the Orange Ray from Orient. This watch is the one to get. Why?

The Orange Ray from Orient has the Rolex Submariner look, but the Mako has the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean look. Arabic numerals at the 12, 9, and 6 O'Clock positions allow for quick "indexing" of the hour markers, look different, and clean the watch up a bit (with bar instead of dot markers for the other hours).

Best of all, this watch has a bezel that rotates without Arnold type forearms. The Orange Ray requires enormous pressure just to rotate the bezel, the Mako requires just "enough" (you don't need to do a killer wrist workout) to rotate.

The watch is very accurate, about 10 seconds a day loss, comparable to the Orient Ray, and far better than the nearly 30 seconds a day gain of my Seiko Orange Monster. Clearly Orient has regulated the movement well, before they ship.

The band is nice. As good as the Orange Ray in my opinion, but not the solid quality of say, the Seiko Orange Monster. But it is nice. The watch face itself is less orange than the Orange Ray, a bit more pumpkinish, less bright, more subdued. More akin to the Orange Seiko Solar than the Ray or Monster.

The red tipped second hand can be hard to see sometimes, too bad Orient did not swap out the hand used for the Blue and Black Mako with one for just the Orange Mako -- yellow or blue maybe? But that's a minor nitpick.

If you get this watch, you won't be sorry. It will fight for wrist time.
on July 2, 2013
This orange faced Mako is an entry level Orient and about 2/3 of the price of the first Orient that I have purchased. The other was a newer style with a blue face with polished link parts in the bracelet. This orange faced watch is more like a Rolex Submariner with a nice brushed finish except for the sides which are highly polished. The Rolex sides are brushed. I like this bracelet in its simplicity.

With this watch, you can get a honest scuba divers watch (reviewed and accepted at many of the scuba diver's websites) for the price of four dinners in my area of the country. In some places, this would not be the price of a good supper for two.

The tip of the second hand is red and the face is orange. You have to look hard to see the second hand but in reality for a watch that doesn't hack, the second hand is really not that important (except for finding how inaccurate the watch is initially).

My watch had the 2:00 o'clock stem housing (day of the week adjustment) turned out to far and it could not be screwed in with fingers only. Not a real problem, I got out my jewelers pliers (small needle nose pliers with heat shrink tubing on the needles) and gently turned the outer housing clockwise. After a 1/10 or so turn-in, I used my fingers to gently seat the housing making the watch water-tight.

The day of the week and the date of the month do not align across the bottom or top. So what? The watch did not cost $700.

I am definitely an Orient admirer. So far, the watch is running within 2 seconds of inaccuracy for three full days. Both of my Orients keep excellent time. The photo on the Amazon website for this watch showing size is incorrect. The watch is about 41 mm and excellent size for a divers watch. It is not small as shown by this photo.

If you do not own an Orient diver's watch, then this watch is an excellent candidate for entry into the brand.

See 1 answered question