Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 43 reviews
on January 19, 2015
Model Reviewed: Orient Mako XL (Black dial, Black bezel) (SEM75001B)

---------------PROS:
----solid movement that will last a long time
---High polished case. Dial markers are polished as well.
---looks and feels very high quality
---Screw down crown
--Looks great on a NATO strap...which i put on right out of the box.
--Bracelet seems great for me at this price point (but I'm a NATO fan so I won't use it too much anyway)
-Movement is made in japan! =)

--------------CONS:

-I wish the date pusher (in the 2 o'clock position) was a screw down as well like the original mako. this makes water resistance possibly lower.
-Not ISO certified
-Cased in China
-bezel movess a bit too easy for my tastes. (also there is some play with the bezel)
-Mine gains "30 seconds" a day........just not acceptable....maybe I got a bad one. =(
-There is play in the bezel, which is very disappointing to me, even at this price point.

----MAKO XL VS SEIKO SKX007
-If I had to pick between this or the seiko skx007 I'd pick the skx007....but I love them both a lot.
-Lume not even close to as good as the seiko.
-Oddly the hands have better lume than the hour markers
-Not really a true divers watch.......I wouldn't dive with this, but the seiko I would dive with AND its ISO certifited ....(if that means anything to you..lol)

-------SUMMARY:
---- love this watch a lot, orient just makes great watches that are reliable, high quality,, ect
this one really has the orient look and feel that I love.
making orient one of the best value automatics in the business for the price.
******************I give it 3 stars because of the bezel play, gaining 30+ seconds a day, and not good lume.*****************
.......other wise is a great watch and I would still recommend it if you like the style.
on April 8, 2015
This is a great automatic watch. I love the size at 46mm it is big but not overly big like some of the Invicta. I have a Pro Diver and Grand Diver by Invicta. This is one of my favorite watches to wear. I gave it 4 stars because when pulling the crown out and adjusting the watch it does NOT stop the seconds hand. Like all watches this watch does gain minutes after a few weeks. But that is to be expected. I use it with an automatic watch winder and it works great. This watch has a very distinctive look, and I like that Orient did NOT copy the Rolex Submariner look like most Dive Watches do.

The bezel is also nice and very easy to move.

Cons: I am NOT a diver so I have not used it diving. Also the illuminated hands are NOT that great, and the 60 minute mark does NOT have the illuminated dot like my other dive watches. Overall, a great watch that I would buy again.
review image review image
on July 2, 2014
Very accurate watch for it's price. I'v a Seiko that loses seconds and a Hamilton Khaki King that gains seconds, this Orient doesn't give me that. So very much in line with the time around me.

And the reserve energy seems long for me. I don't have to always put into the winder. I think I can go one day without the winder.

Seems to have this inherent issue that the front bezel does not totally align with the inner dial. But from what I read, it is a QC issue.
A trip to the service centre ought to do the trick. I read that the bezel needs to be removed and put back into a position that would be aligned with the inner dial.

Another known issue is the lume. Yes it is close to non-existing. In very dark place, you can only see it faintly. But again, it's a known issue.

Looks wise, it definately does not feel cheap. Has a good weight to it. With proper sizing done, it feels snug and doesn't make any watch strap noise.
I bought this together with 16 PCS Watch Tool Kit to size the watch myself.

I'm not a diver, but I would probably be on my G-shock instead if I ever go swimming. I wear this Orient at work.

For a basic, no frills, accurate automatic dive design watch with a good modern case size, I would recommend this watch.
on December 14, 2014
I have now had this watch for 3.5 years and generally enjoy it. In terms of function, I like the 200m water resistance (I took it diving to about 60m without any problems) and never needing to wind it or change batteries. However, the luminous markings aren't so luminous anymore (I check my cell phone at night instead of my watch), the time tends run fast by about 5 minutes every 2 weeks (necessitating adjustment), and the pins that hold the wrist band into the watch are very flimsy (the pins bent and the band detached from the watch several times during moderate exercise).

In terms of design, I like the large face and very secure clasp. However, the button that adjusts the day-of-week is too exposed and gets accidentally pushed from time to time. Finally, there is an awkward "step" between the band and where it attaches to the watch (it would be nice if the watch band flared out a bit wider so that there is a nice smooth transition from the band to the body of the watch).

Overall, I like the chunky presence of this watch on my wrist, the idea of an old-school mechanical watch that never needs winding, and the price point. I think anything better would probably be substantially more costly.
on January 21, 2015
This is not just a great watch for the money but an outstanding all around watch. I heard about Orient watches for some time and finally decided to add one to my collection. It looks great and is built very well with excellent fit and finish. The steel bracelet is really comfortable and also well built. It is hard to believe you can get an automatic watch of this quality for under $150. This watch can easily pass for a watch 5 or 6 times this price. Of course some compromises had to be made for this price point; no sapphire crystal, weak illumination and the clasp is less than perfect. However, these are nitpicks and a sapphire crystal would probably triple the price. If you are looking for an every day watch that is very affordable check out this watch, along with one of the Seiko monster watches. You cannot go wrong.
on January 30, 2015
Despite all the skepticism about the brand, the watch turned out to be extremely good. I got it about 2 weeks ago and been wearing it every day. Have to say it keeps time perfectly. Looks like a good quality watch, heavy, perfect for every day wear with any type of attire. I did notice a few minor imperfections (I like watches to look perfect and every detail on them is important to me): hour markings do not glow as well as Seiko diver watches and their surface does not look smooth, but rather has sort of sandy look (you have to look at if very close to notice) and the bracelet looks slightly cheap when you open the buckle. However, these 2 minor imperfections do not matter as much when you consider that markings bumpy surface is barely noticeable and the buckle closed when wearing the watch, so nobody can really notice. Overall, great quality for the price. I would highly recommend it for every day wear.
on October 29, 2015
I love this watch so much. Orient makes an excellent watch and this is my daily beater. I don't always want to wear my super expensive watch so it's great to have a nice watch that looks good and I know will last. Great design and size, day-date which is great. You can tell it's quality and it will last. My complaint is the lume on this watch. It's bad. I may even at some point have it relumed because it does not glow. I certainly can't use it in a movie theater and I can't even imagine diving with it in dark waters. But it is an excellent watch besides this and I know they have a new model out that has corrected the poor lume.
on August 21, 2014
Great watch, nice weight well built, timepiece.. Just be careful who you purchase from. The first one I received the case and crystal were scratched and had to be returned. The second one I recieved also had very small scratches on crystal and case but not as bad as the first one so with a little metal cleaner/polish I was able to buff out most of the case scratches but the crystal is a different story. Eventually I will upgrade to a sapphire crystal face and because the scratches are barely visible I can live with it. I guess for the price Amazon was offering you had to expect something wrong with the watch. I wish they wouldn't label it as new since it had some minor flaws.
on May 25, 2011
I'm by far not an expert or watch collector. A matter of fact this is the first watch I have worn in almost 10 years. I've always been a fan of the Diver style look and have always wanted to own one. I'm ashamed to admit but many years ago I had a fake Omega diver from the Philippines. That watch actually looked really nice but was fake and broke after about 6 months. However, I received lots of complements on the looks of the watch. I recently decided it was time to get a real watch from a real watch maker. I narrowed my choices down to the Seiko, Invicta, Bulova, and Orient. I wanted to spend around $200 for a decent watch. All the aforementioned brands had something nice to offer. However, the price point and reviews on the Orient divers made me take a deeper look. I began reading everything I could on the Orient brand, history via youtube, Internet, and Amazon. I decided to buy this watch for $134 on Amazon. I figured for $134 what's there to loose. It's been about 3 weeks since I've had this watch and I love it. The watch is beautiful and solidly built. It's actually kind of heavy but feels good on your wrist. As far as accuracy it hasn't lost any minutes and I'll see how much time is lost in the next few months. So much watch for so little money! So far so good!
on September 8, 2012
I have had this watch now for a little over 3 months - and I am pleased to report that it runs splendidly. I have an Omega Speedmaster that lost 45 seconds a day - with this watch I barely lose 6 seconds a day, which is spectacular for an automatic movement watch.

The band on it is extremely cheap and you can feel the poor quality as it sits on your wrist. It almost feels like the watches you win out of the machines in an old arcade. I quickly replaced it with a leather band from the mall which greatly increased the overall quality. The face is huge and beautiful to look at. Definitely worth the price and will be in my family for a very long time.