Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 282 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 311 reviews
on September 23, 2014
I recently decided to learn how to do origami. I purchased this kit for beginners and was not disappointed at all! It comes with three books and sheets of paper. The paper is very good quality and the books are fairly easy to follow. The first book is full of basic origami designs, the second is birds and the third is zoo animals. The second and third books are a bit advanced and I had to go to Youtube to see what some of the folds look like in real life. Once I got the folds down then the books were a lot easier to follow. The only reason that I dropped a star in the review is that I think the second and third books are more for intermediate to expert level and not beginners. If there was a way to get bird and zoo animals in a beginner format that would be wonderful.
on November 30, 2009
I bought this kit having never done origami before in my life. I wanted to learn, so I figured a beginners' kit would be the place to start. This kit comes with three books and a pack of paper. The paper is great - lots of colors, and plenty of sheets - and the "Easy Origami" book that is inside was definitely helpful for learning, although it takes some experimentation as it lacks photos of exactly what some of the folds are. The other two books that come in the kit are Origami Animals and Origami Birds; I found these designs quite challenging for a true beginner. I was only able to complete about three of the birds before I was in over my head (and the folds started getting so tiny I wasn't able to continue making them neatly); I didn't even try any of the animals once I looked over the designs.

Overall, I would say this is a good kit for beginners, I just wish that they had included books with a better curve for difficulty of designs, rather than going from "easily done by beginners" to "whoa, this is hard!"
on June 16, 2014
My daughter enjoys all things related to crafts and art, so I figured she would like this Origami kit. I gave it to her the first week that school was out - as part of a box of fun things to do for the summer. She was delighted with it right from the start, and now her desk is replete with paper birds, boats, mammals and all sorts of stuff. It was a big hit, and even better than I expected it to be. I would definitely recommend this product for other kids (or adults) who want to learn something fun or need a short, simple project to do with their kids!
on January 14, 2016
It is a little complicated even for beginners. I actually got this for my 7 year old son, but he quickly gave up. I tried to do it, and though I was able to do some of them, it is still complicated. But I am a very slow learner. So it could be just me. Certainly not for a 7 year old however!
on March 14, 2017
Great set for my daughter who's 6 years old. She wanted to start doing origami so I ordered her this one. It came with 3 books, one which was for beginners, and a bunch of paper and she loves doing it!
on September 10, 2013
This was definitely not a beginner origami kit. I purchased it for my 8 year old niece. She was not able to do any but the very simplest designs. I have done origami for years and even I was not able to follow the majority of the patterns! They are quite confusing. A few of the designs have 30 moves or more, which definitely is not beginner level. The only good thing I have to say about this product is that you get quite a good bit of paper. However, given the fact that you are almost guaranteed to not be able to complete the patterns, this ends up being a waste since a lot of the paper ends up being thrown away. Overall, not worth the money.
on April 19, 2017
I tried to like this, but the paper is just too small for beginners. Instructions are a bit unclear also.
on June 3, 2014
I bought this as a gift for my youngest sister. She's 12 years old and has trouble with some motor skills so I thought this would kind of be a cool therapy for her to start using her hands more with her mind. It comes with multiple books and some are pretty easy and have similar basic forms. Other types of animals and concepts are much harder to do though, but my sister has really tried to practice them and enjoys the challenge. I wish their form of explanations of folds was more descriptive. Sometimes I don't even understand how they got from one fold to another. It also comes with a wide variety of different paper sheets which is really nice. Overall, my sister has enjoyed the challenge this has brought to her. I'd recommend this as a gift for any child and even adults.
on August 12, 2013
While I admit that it's takes some practice reading the diagrams they are easy to complete even for a child. I do recommend reading the pages dedicated to how to read the book, I didn't and struggled until I read what it wanted wanted me to do when it use a certain symbol.
I bought this set for myself to learn origami and fell in love with the art. But the fun wasn't limited to me- My 6 year old nephew was playing with my set and we got half the way though one of the books while he was with me one day. While he needed to be walked through the first couple he soon understood the pictures (mostly) and was able to complete several by himself including a tulip and stem and a fish. The bright sheets of paper and wide range of choices were a hit for him and I.
I would recommend this for a beginner - if a 6 year old with a short attention span can do it so can you. He liked the set so much he'll be receiving one for his birthday.
Dover coloring books are some of my favorites, so when my grandson wanted to explore origami, I was pleased to discover the “Origami Fun Kit for Beginners (Dover Fun Kits)”. This kit provides everything you need to begin creating different origami shapes, birds, and animals. Three different instruction books and a wealth of origami paper – solid colors, foil paper, and tie-dye designs – give you everything you need to get started.

The “Origami for Beginners” book contains 31 different items for you to create. Step-by-step directions are easy to follow, but be sure to read the introduction first and study the different fold-symbols. The books containing animal shapes and bird shapes are definitely not for beginners. My grandson and I had difficulty deciphering the directions and decided to put the books aside until we become more proficient at creating the more simple origami shapes.

The “Origami Fun Kit for Beginners (Dover Fun Kits)” is a good value; it will help get you started in learning this ancient art. However, two of the three instruction books are not useful for beginners. It is for this reason I have not rated this fine Dover product as a five-star purchase.