Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 752 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,038 reviews
on October 18, 2016
We are counting down to the Halloween season and this is just the right book!
I have read the LT 'Jack' Daniels books by this author and thought I would give this book a try. I found the explanations for the creature or demon to be very interesting. You have a group of professionals from fields such as military, science, religion, medical, and finally linguistics. All of these characters have secrets in their pasts. Which of the characters would benefit the most if the creature learns to communicate? There is also the traditional Biblical debates in the book which I found to be reasonable when they are trying to determine the origin and purpose of the creature. This could be the difference in whether a reader enjoyed the book or not. If you do not believe there is supreme being /beings responsible for the origin of good and evil on our earth, you will find these debates tiresome or maybe comical. But, I like the story, I like the characters, and I highlighted several of the passages in the book.
Great Job Konrath/ Kilborn!
on March 18, 2017
Just a cracking good tale. Satan has been discovered-in an apparent coma, in South America and sent to a crypt in the American west. His keepers face a life sentence in a nuclear hardened shelter observing him. And, then one day he wakes up!

Is that fun, or what? Konrath always serves up the macabre with flair and he doesnt disappoint this time.

I rated this a four on the star bar as the characterization is a bit thin. I havent read Konrath in a while and dont recall if this is his strong suit or not. Too many characters for a story of moderate length and not enough development of any of them.

Basically I would say read this for the originality of the plot and quality writing.

Highly recommended.
on August 13, 2017
I'm working my way through the Kilborn collective and have to say that Origin was a decent blend of action/horror/suspense that once the intensity starts... continues on for the remainder of the story. The characters grow on you, especially Race in my opinion! It's up to you to decide whether Bub is a demon, creature, or some otherworldly entity. You'll have a hard time putting this one down once you start to read it. Looking forward to Afraid next. This book may be a bit squeamish for some but I found it entertaining and the premise intriguing. A fresh take on this type of thriller. Keeps you wondering about what Bub really is all the way through the end. I'm still wondering. :)
on February 16, 2016
1st off...Review is for the audiobook...

Ok, so I enjoy listening to audiobooks at night, to help me fall asleep. Let me tell you this...there is nothing like waking up in the middle of the night to the voice of Bub...scared the you know what out of me...lol. Anyways...This story is amazing...nothing from what I assumed it would be. Starts off a bit slow...yet in time...your hooked. I'm not sure how else to get you to listen (or read) this book! Imagine the following movies and you basically have Origin -
The Exorcist, Critters, National Treasure...
on April 26, 2017
I really enjoyed this book. It had mystery - what was this demon and where had it come from. It had romance between Sun and Andy - not overpowering lust. It had suspense - would they be able to get away before being killed by the demon or by the nuclear bomb. Mostly it had horror!! I did not expect to love this book but I did and so will you I bet!!
on March 17, 2017
Great Book. POSSIBLE SPOILER. I love the concept of the book, which is that several individuals are brought to a secret military base to investigate true evil, but I thought the true origin fell just a bit flat. I have recently discovered J.A. Konrath/Jack Kilborn and have been tearing through his books. He's a great writer and really sucks you into the story telling.
on August 16, 2013
Konrath wondered why this book seemed to perform so lackluster. I have some thoughts.
The reason it can fly even with broken wings is, it's Konrath. It has a great plot. It develops well. Believable characters the reader identifies with readily. It builds relentlessly. Konrath is one of the very few writers that can build a climax than couldn't possibly be worse…then it gets worse. Even when Konrath goobers, it's a really good goober.
Why 3 stars? I read too many other Konrath books. A 4 star is almost always a given for Konrath (this is his only 3 star I've read, IMO). His conversations between the Rabbi and the Priest. Quite good and well researched, but he has both use inferior conclusions. Would two guys supposed to be world class use such weak summations? And Konrath has both men—supposedly men of Faith—misunderstand Faith. The essence of Faith is not believing a divine fairy tale because it has God's name on it. It's much more fundamental than that. Faith is believing that God never lies, and that cles Father of Lies is the Other Guy; therefore God's Word is inerrant and infallible. Are there Jewish and Christian holy men that are that are ultimately this vapid? Sure, but they aren't world class. Nothing this insipid in Maimonides or Aquinas, I assure you. The quality of Konrath's research belies any plea of poetic license. The word is Goober.
OK, Konrath is not a creationist, he's writing a horror thriller, not a Sunday school book, so I'll give him that. But, the fulfillment of Fox Mulder's childhood dreams? Aw, geeze. Once a body reads astrophysicist Dr. Jacques Vallee's critique on the implausibility of the weird Visitors being from Out There; then reads his book Passport to Magonia; the Outer Space Visitor theory is dead. These…Things…have been right here with us, from the very beginning. But, it might be objected, he's telling a scary story, for Pete's sake, ease up. No, I'm sorry. It's like asking me to believe in a hot water balloon, that could be filled with boiling water, yet fly because all the bubbles rising to the top would somehow lift the balloon. The story has got to engender "the willing suspension of disbelief," and when it's doesn't…geeze. How do I know this? I read too many of Konrath's other books. If you can believe that stuff, the guy is good. Goober, the word is goober.
Finally, the Ending. Jethro Gibbs needs to smack him in the back of the head hard enough to make him stagger. I'm talking about the last couple paragraphs or so. Ever try to break wind silently on a crowded elevator, but it comes out a loud squealer? And everybody turns and gives you…The Look? Tolkien was a superb story teller, and he believed and practiced good endings. He invented a word, eucatastrophe, which means a potentially bad ending, but with a good outcome. For some excellent examples, read a half-dozen other Konrath books, and pay close attention to the Endings. Eucatastrophes. And then you read…this. Sorry, it's that word again…goober.
Konrath is one of my favorite writers of horror and thriller genres. Few writers can honestly, really, scare the willies out of adult readers. He can. He does. He even did in this here goober. But in this one, he kept repeatedly jerking it away from your brain. Then, in the last couple paragraphs, he whacks it in the head with a sledgehammer. Goober.
on January 31, 2017
Take the plunge into a story full of the creepy imagination of an obviously twisted mind - Konrath is a modern day version of Poe at times, but his character Bub is all that Satan desires. This book gives new meaning to the old phrase, of "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."
on April 26, 2017
This ugly creature makes the devil seem good. What a ride through terror. Very hard to put down. Can only recommend to read in the daytime because you will not sleep after reading this story. Have you ever seen a bat flying around? Yeah, keep telling yourself it is only a bat.....
on April 26, 2017
Just edge of the seat action packed goodness. Best thing I have read lately. I dunno it just was basically good action movie horror stuff. It had characters I cared about that were well shaped. No major gaffes in writing that took me out of the story. Excellent book for the price