BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 26, 2013
I bought this deck for my husband, who is learning Tarot. I am very disappointed in the quality of it. It appears to be a reproduction of a reproduction. The lines are not as neat and detailed. Some cards have details that appear to be missing (the 5 of Pentacles - the first mans arms are missing or obscured by the poor quality). Almost every card appears pixilated. I could go on with the list of problems but I think I will stop there. The only pros to this deck are the heavy card stock and the mini book that comes with it.

I will be uploading pictures of these cards (via Photo bucket since Amazon doesn't allow uploads on this item) compared side by side with my Waite/Smith deck so you can see what I am talking about.
[...]
[...]
review image review image
22 comments| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2014
This by far the best Rider Waite Tarot in existence. This is the only Rider deck that I use, it has a nice gloss and comes with the Tarot Key by Waite which is essential for a deeper understanding of the symbology involved.
on August 4, 2014
This is a fantastic reproduction of the 1910 edition of the Rider-Waite tarot deck. I have several versions of the Rider-Waite, and this is my favorite. I waffled a bit between this one and U.S. Games's Smith-Waite Centennial edition,which has that great "old" feel, but at the end of the day, I keep going back to this one. This set also includes Waite's book(let) that he wrote for this deck. It swings from obtuse to obfuscatory, but it's...pretty? Read it. Then get a different book. For those new to Tarot, my only advice is to be aware of the differences in all the editions of the Rider-Waite.

U.S. Games offers several "Rider-Waite" decks. The "Rider" deck is not quite as brightly colored, has a thinner card stock, and a "tarotee" back design (diagonally crossed black lines). The "Original Rider Waite Tarot Pack" listed here is a beautiful version of the original with bright colors and a blue "Tudor Rose" design on the back. The "Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set" includes the Centennial edition (along with a lovely book and extra material about the artist) which appears to be a copy of a well-scanned original deck, on excellent card stock, with a new back design that includes the rose and Pamela Colman Smith's initials as they appear on the cards. The "Smith-Waite Centennial Edition" is the deck only from the Commemorative set (sans book and extras). As an aside, U.S. Games also offers the Albano-Waite deck. Initially published in 1968, this groovy edition is a trippy, garishly colored version of Smith's original images. And this list is certainly not exhaustive; there are other "Rider" (publisher) or "Waite" (author/supervisor) or "Smith" (artist) decks out there from every publisher imaginable. In addition to the images themselves, many (if not most) modern decks use this deck as a basis for their own designs.

O.K., so this wasn't much of a "review" of this product specifically, but if someone intends to read tarot, he or she should own a version of the Waite deck. It is one of the cornerstones of esoteric tarot in general and a foundation for the proliferation in tarot publishing today. And if that isn't enough to sell one, it is also a pleasant example of early twentieth-century English popular illustration. Enjoy.
on May 20, 2015
The quality is good, and the cards are neatly packaged. But i prefer my other Universal Wait Smith Tarot Deck, which was of better colors, quality and feel.
I really hated the colors of this deck!! They are so dim and dark, and they didnt feel real.
when i lay out a spread with this deck, all cards look like they are all of the same dim color! that pale faint dark yellow mood is all over the spread.. not comfortable at all.
on November 16, 2012
I think that anyone who's interested in modern, intuitive tarot (as opposed to traditional, historical tarot buffs who follow the Marseilles path) MUST own a copy of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, as it's the wellspring from which all the other modern decks have come.
This is my preferred version of the deck, too. The soft, subtle colouring appeals to me much more than some of the almost-flourescent newer versions. The colours in particular remind me that this was, graphically at least, a product of it's time - the Art Nouveau period.

It's taken a long time for Pamela Colman Smith to get the recognition she deserves. She might not have been the most skilled draftsperson there ever was, and this deck was made in a very brief period of time - but in my opinion, her power was in her subtlety. Slight nuances of expression, muted tones and patterns in the fabrics and fills. In this version of the RWS deck, I can almost feel the lightness of her touch as she painted these images.

I agree with others that if you're a beginner, Waite's original booklet isn't a great deal of use - get yourself a good, thorough book like Rachel Pollack's '78 Degrees of Wisdom' in addition.

I own a couple of RWS versions and I think that in this case it's true that "the Original is still the best". I'm so glad this 'Original' reproduction set is available again.
on October 13, 2017
Nice size, quality material. I had seen other reviews on other packs that mentioned the card was too thin, but this one is perfect.
on February 28, 2013
I have seen the Rider Waite printed in a few different color schemes and what disappointed me about this particular one is some of the coloring is so dull you miss some of the symbolism in the cards (hard to see/bleeds together). A few examples of this is the 7 of Cups it's hard to determine what is in the cups, especially the central arms wide open figure. A lot of the cards with water in the background can be lost because the water blends in with the rest of the image. Some may find this particular print beautiful but I would steer any new to tarot student away from it due the difficulty of being able to see the small details in the cards that really give symbolism and meaning to them. This is a review of this print only and not Rider Waite in general. I still highly recommend the Rider Waite as a learners or a primary deck. And the 4th store was given to this print mainly because of the nice quality box it comes in as well as the beautiful print on the back of the cards.
on September 29, 2011
I am new to Tarot,so my opinion may not be as valid as someone more used to divination.

This is of course, the familiar Rider-Waite-Smith tarot deck, and as a newcomer I find it easy to understand the symbolism. The art work I find beautiful, and the colors compliment the art beautifully. Most Rider decks come with varying colors, some more radiant, and some more muted. I believe this has the perfect coloring.

The box this comes in is simple, but nice. I actually have a tarot box that I received years ago from an aunt (she never said it was for such, but it fits the cards perfectly, and I did find out she is also a diviner) Despite having the wooden box, I actually prefer the box these cards came in.

The only negative I have to say, is I do not find The Key to the Tarot to be a great stand alone book for beginners. I bought a different book that is wonderful for beginners, and I found that The Key to the Tarot, helps add depth, but alone is a bit confusing.

Anyways, a wonderful deal! If you are a newb to tarot, buy this! Along with a secondary book.
on May 22, 2015
The companion book is the size of the deck of cards, but about a quarter inch thick. Small print, vague 1910 hocus-pocus mumbo jumbo language; mostly vague and poorly researched history, not illustrated. The cards are copies of the originals (not giant); which I like. The book is a waste of time. You will need to buy another book if you are a beginner.
on March 22, 2017
Imitation of the original deck. The back side of each card is in a different print than the original.