Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on December 14, 2017
In an era when most of the Galaxy is under the control of militarized, ruthless mega-corporations, one of the few remaining free societies is the remote Freeground Space Station. But events are threatening that independence.
When a group hacks into top-secret battle simulations and cleans the clock of the military's top trainees, Freeground brass recruit them for a secret "shadow ship" assignment to gather intel, new technologies and potential allies for the battles to come.
Author Lalonde describes Origins as "backstory, scene setters, the prequel I'll never have to write" for the Spinward Fringe Series (12 books so far). I haven't read the rest of the series, so i can't speak as to how it serves that function, but on its own Origins stands as an enjoyable, well written space opera.
The characters are likable enough and their interrelationships engaging enough that one is happy to cruise into battle with them. Lalonde wrote he wanted to create an experience that would "resemble that of watching a television show or movie." In that he succeeds.
There is a dark twist at the end (semi spoiler alert!) that leaves the fate of the main character unresolved, and this may disappoint some readers (maybe subsequent books in the series provide that resolution, maybe they don't), but I applaud Lalonde's willingness to take that bit of commercial risk. Recommended.
on November 23, 2017
I probably would have happily given a five star review if not for the ending. It was well written, but heartbreaking. Enough that I don't even know if I want to go on to the next book. Based on the description it seems the next book takes things in a whole new direction. I wanted more of the First Light and crew.

So now that I've gotten that out of my system lets review a little. There is some excellent slow pace world building here and while there are occasionally flaws common to new authors the writing is actually very solid and most of the characters are fun and interesting. I was fairly disappointed in a particular story twist that was just dropped and left dangling as a loose string (Alice). The tech is fascinating and is wonderfully and reasonably diverse. No one peoples are vastly advanced in all areas, most have a few strengthened to need or environment while still having weaknesses in other areas. It's nice to see that. Often sci-fi seems to depict everyone being equally, or near equally, advanced in all areas across the board.
on November 6, 2017
I just stumbled upon this book as I was looking for something else. This is one of the first books I bought when I bought my kindle.
I loved the story and went looking for more, I was a little taken aback when when I saw this series and all related series, that's a lot of books. But the story had my interest so I plunged right in. (Lots of books didn't scare me, as I am a devoted Anne McCaffery fan.) Any way, I loved the stories and the caracters, typos don't throw me off the storyline. It is a lot of space opera, and a lot of battles, rogue ships and rogue planets, good guys and bad guys. Everything I love about scifi !
on November 7, 2017
I used to read a lot of science fiction, then I just got burned out with bad and worse books. Spinward Fringe Origins however was the perfect book for me to read, there are real characters with a great plot and subplots. WOW this was fun to read and I didn't want to put it down. I hope everyone enjoys this series as much as I do, now excuse me I have to get the next book in the series!
on November 27, 2017
Really enjoyed the book and have gone on to purchase more of the series. Nice to find an author who can surprise you. I read a lot and after awhile the stories all seem the same with just a different name. Will be looking for more books by this author
on December 14, 2017
A great start to a great series. The author has a terrifically put together universe. This book is not essential to starting the series but it really adds a lot of background that makes the other books make more sense! Do not pass up this series if you love a good sci fi read!
on November 13, 2017
Move over Kirk. There is a new Captain in town and my heart now belongs to him.
Oh,Jonas! My dashing but humble hero. You take me to the stars with your stalwart crew.
Be still my heart until I can read another Spinward Fringe! I am yours forever!
I haven't been this excited about SF in a long time!
on November 20, 2017
I Like the characters and plot. Only problem is that there Is a like too much reliance on technical mumbo jumbo. Would be better to simplify some of the technical jargon
on April 21, 2017
Fully enjoyable reading.
on April 20, 2013
I agree, there are many pats on the back and the characters have some youthful fun. I don't think its too much. I think there is so much more story that surrounds it that is interesting and full that those parts of the plots don't take away from it. They may not be completely realistic but I also didn't find them too cheesy to be annoying. They are a new crew that aren't supposed to act like a military crew as the plot dictates. I find the details of the story to be rich, and the the story is fast paced enough to keep my interest. I did find it hard to get into the book at first. There were a lot of fighters firing with firepower, repetitively, and the story/characters weren't developing quickly enough. I was concerned, but the author got over it and became much more creative. I had to get to about 10% before I was really hooked and knew I would be enjoying the book. However in this story, 10% is a small part as the book is longer than average. Overall I give 5 instead of 4 because of its length and I'm truly enjoying it as I continue to read.