Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

20,270
Orphan Train
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon February 4, 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
On the coast of Maine lives a wealthy ninety-one year old woman named Vivian Daly. Yet in her attic are trunks that reveal the secrets of her turbulent past.

It is the year 2011, and nearby in the same town of Spruce Harbor, lives a seventeen-year-old girl named Molly Ayer who has bounced from foster home to foster home, and is now in a situation involving petty theft that will require some kind of community service.

Told in beautifully evocative prose, the story unfolds in alternate perspectives, revealing what has happened to each of them, and how the parallel lines of their lives now converge to spotlight the similarities between them.

From Vivian's early childhood in Ireland, to New York City, comes her passage on the Orphan Trains in 1929. A journey that will take her to Minnesota, from one home to another, never really knowing what home feels like, as she is treated like a slave and seldom has enough of anything, much less affection or love.

What Molly sees when she meets the elderly woman is a wealthy person who could not begin to understand her or her issues. But as the two of them clean out the boxes in the attic, the stories they share with one another reveal so much more than either could have suspected.

The characters, both the primary ones and the supporting ones, brought so much color and emotion to the stories that I could feel as though I were sitting in their midst, observing and listening to them. And as I neared the end of Orphan Train: A Novel, I really could not have imagined a more beautiful or satisfying conclusion, and with it came a feeling that these characters would live on in my memories.

At one point, Molly is at Vivian's home, taking in her recent good fortune:

"Sitting in the rocker in the kitchen, looking out at the water, Molly feels oddly at peace. For the first time since she can remember, her life is beginning to make sense. What up until this moment has felt like a random, disconnected series of unhappy events she now views as necessary steps in a journey toward...enlightenment is perhaps too strong a word, but there are others, less lofty, like self-acceptance and perspective...."

It is impossible to read this story and not take away from it the knowledge that wonderfully unexpected moments can happen in a life, even in one that is full of turbulence, pain, loss, and the sense of being an outsider. And when such moments occur, it is also impossible not to celebrate. Or feel the sense of exuberance that comes with the gifts of love, acceptance, and second chances. A story with a perfect ending that I won't share here, for fear of spoiling it for the reader. Suffice it to say that you will love Vivian and Molly and will feel the joy of their unique connection. Five stars.
2424 comments| 1,110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 2, 2013
I continue to be amazed at the things I learn about the history of this country from reading books. Orphan Train is based in fact; from the mid 19th century through the first quarter of the 20th century there was no system for dealing with orphans or what we would consider foster children today. It was left to churches and charitable organizations. And for those who feel that they are best left to deal with these social issues, I suggest you research the orphan trains because their solution was to take the children into various cities and give them away to anyone who wanted a child. No background checks, no follow up, no nothing. These children were left with people in the hopes that they would be given a good life. Some were, many were nothing more than house slaves. I'll get off the soapbox now.

The book juxtaposes two lives - that of young Molly, a foster child of the current generation who lives with a family that is divided as to her presence. The "father" is pleasant to her and sees the good in Molly but the "mother" would rather she be gone and in all truth is only doing the foster thing for the money it brings into the household. The second life is that of Vivian - born Niamh, who becomes Dorothy and ultimately Vivian as she is left alone in New York after her family is killed in a fire. She is taken in by Children's Aid and sent West on an Orphan Train to hopefully find a new home. What she finds at first is mistreatment, suspicion and abuse.

While on the train she meets some other orphans one of whom will play an important role in her life. Most of the other characters, though fade into the background as the story focuses on Vivian and Molly and how the two of them reconcile their pasts which are not as different as they might think.

I sped through the first 2/3rds of this book totally enthralled with Vivian's story. Molly's life was really not as interesting or as fleshed out as Vivian's and I suppose that since the book IS titled Orphan Train it should be focused on Vivian. Once the book hit the point in the story that moved it to the present it was as if all the rich detail that made the first part so compelling went out the window. There was an OMG moment in the book and then everything was rushed and it became, at least to me, a book of what could have been.

It was as if the author had only so many pages left and had to fit in more information than allotted space. I felt cheated somehow and very disappointed. The book could have been so much more and I feel the loss of what I know I've missed.

Rating:
3.5
5150+ comments| 764 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 2, 2017
Once again Christina Baker Kline leaves me breathless and in tears.
My husband was adopted. But what different his story is from this one.
I remember his mother telling me when I first met her that she loved him from the beginning more than
If she gave natural birth to him. Something to do with "She picked him".
This book is not only a beautiful novel; but also a history lesson, an emotional tour into the delicate subject of adoption.
I also know someone close to me who have given a child up to adoption to improve their chance for a better life
And future. And it can be a very painful experience. It can also be an expression of love at its most pure and selfless form.
I have also been a foster care provider and have found out that it can be a wonderful experience and also a terrifying
Nightmare.
The characters are as usual, charismatic and realistic. This was an emotional journey for me. This is definitely a read I will not soon forget. For Vivian the journey
Is comming to an end. For me, the journey is just beginning. Ms. Baker Kline's book has given me the assurance and hope to begin that journey.
on March 31, 2016
This book was unlike anything else I'd read lately, so I really enjoyed it. It bounces back and forth between the present and the past, in a way that's easy to follow. The present is the story of a teenager in the foster system who works with an older lady to finish some community service hours. The past is the story of a girl whose family dies in a fire and is sent on an orphan train to the midwest to be adopted. I loved the ways these two stories intertwined throughout the book, and even though they are set in such different time periods/places, there are so many similarities between these two girls' lives. I had no idea the orphan train was a real thing! Though this book is fiction, it opened my eyes to a piece of history that was new to me.
on September 12, 2014
This is the kind of writing that sucks you in and makes you feel like you're actually there. Vivian's story is compelling except during the most "romantic" part of the novel, which is very predictable and formulaic. It's the only part of the novel I was at all disappointed with. The author constructs this story in such as way as to convey the impression that there are fates that control our lives and that our journeys are somehow planned out in the sense that "things happen for a reason.". She doesn't beat you over the head with the idea, but I personally found this whimsical fancy a little irritating. Yes, things happen for a reason and that reason is usually physics. It's easy to contrive a fated journey when you're making it up, but this is not a reflection of real life. I highly recommend this read as it is as engaging as all get out. Rarely am I sucked in by a work of fiction, but this did quite a number on me.
on December 3, 2017
It took me a little while to get into this story about an orphan who was placed on a train with other orphans from NYC by well meaning but ill advised persons to travel to Minnesota and parts nearby to be given to families who needed them for various reasons. I found the narrative of the character, Molly, somewhat distracting at first because I wanted to pursue Vivian’s story! However, it all came together I the end! Lovely and heartwarming story!
on April 4, 2017
The title of the book is misleading. This is not about the orphan trains, but rather about one character that had been on an orphan train. That being said, the book was an easy, quick read. The plotlines and characters were fairly predictable. There was not much character development. The story also ends abruptly, as if the author realized she had no idea what to do with the characters after a certain point. If you're looking for an in-depth novel about this less-than-stellar part of American history, this isn't it.
on December 7, 2017
I did not put this book down once I started reading! I’ve heard and read about the orphan trains, but this is by far the absolute best story I’ve read! Full of rollercoaster events and moving between the past and present days, I felt like I was at a fun park! I never felt lost, as some books leave the readers when switching between time periods. It was as natural as the plot line itself. I highly recommend this book!
on June 8, 2017
I could NOT quit reading and my heart sank when it ended--I wanted MORE! A very enjoyable read, and I love the bonds formed in this historical novel. I have had an interest in the Orphan Trains since a visit through Rapid City, SD two years ago & found later that a couple if those trains made stops in my hometown in SE Kansas & I knew (or of) some of the children who had been adopted. I highly recommend this book, it's a great read.
Nursedot in KS
on May 25, 2014
Having no idea what an "orphan train" was, I delved into this book with some curiosity and found I couldn't put it down. The story follows an unlikely pair: a 91 year old wealthy widow and a 17 year old troubled teen who is trapped in the foster care system. The riveting tale delves into the life of the foster care program in the 1920's and the orphan trains that took children from the streets of New York City and transported them to a "better life" in the state of Minnesota, and a peek at the current foster care system. Both women begin to open up to each other about their past and manage to deal with the "ghosts" that occupy their lives. Thoroughly enjoyable.