Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on February 23, 2017
I don't write a lot of reviews, but this stuff is worth a review.

Folks, Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popcorn IS all that! It's the second best popcorn I've ever eaten. Anywhere, anytime. Which is sad. Read on.

I'm a serious popcorn junkie. I eat popcorn 3-4 times a week and blow through one of these 8# jugs pretty quick. Too quick. I used to buy it in 3# jars at Target years ago, but then they stopped carrying it and those smaller jars at the supermarket were just too rich for my blood - I went back to Jolly Time.

Over the years I've sampled a lot of popcorns (hundreds of pounds), and I keep coming back to the inescapable fact that Orville Redenbacher's is simply and consistently the best. Jolly Time is OK. Trader Joe's 'Organic' is OK too (good flavor, less volume, an occasional stone). But for volume, texture and flavor it's O.R. hands down.

Which is a bummer, 'cause the stuff is expensive! Let me just climb up onto my soapbox here. I'm especially outraged that between the time I bought my first jug at Amazon last October it cost $11.49 and when I bought it again this January (TWO jugs - after going back to other brands and not being satisfied) it cost $14.88. I know the cost of corn didn't rise that much last fall, but Amazon figured out I was enough of a sucker.

I tried to resist the gouge, went back to Jolly Time, and then to Trader Joe's 'Organic.' Sadly, once you've had the best those others just won't do. I'm back, getting gouged, but willing to pay. Shame on you, Amazon!

Bottom line, it's a gourmet item. If you wants the best, you gots to pay. I do. But I'm not happy. Nevertheless, while it offends me, I find the value still justifies the price. For now. Your mileage may vary.
22 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 1, 2016
No Complaints. I make popcorn in a big pot on the stove an usually use Amish Country, which is really good popcorn and non-gmo. BUT...the Amish brand is a bit expensive (I paid $12 for 4 lbs). So, I looked on Amazon for some better deals and saw this Orville 5 lb jug. I'm so happy I decided to try it! 100% natural and non-gmo, plus it only costed $8.?? for 5 lbs! I was getting more for my money. This is now my One and Only Go-To Popcorn, and let me tell you why :)

1. Pops better than the other brand I was using (didn't have any problem with popcorn sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning at all, unlike the other brand. I don't know why this was a problem with the other, but when made exactly the same way I made the Orville, it would do that.)

2. Tastes JUST LIKE Movie popcorn!! This is the stuff they use! I'm convinced....the other brand didn't taste like movie popcorn at all (and I use butter flavored salt and real butter on it)

3. Super Fluffy! I can put the same amount in my pan of the other brand and it only pops to about 3/4 the size of my pot (with ones on the bottom burnt a little). I use Orville (same methods, same amount) and when the popping settles, I open the lid and the popcorn is at the very top! I use a nice tall stainless steel pot (I think it's 8 quart if you're wondering).
on August 6, 2016
Over my long lifetime, I've made popcorn countless times. I do not recall ever having a result like I had yestereday with Orville's. I have a container I use to hold several poppings from my hot air popper. It usually takes three batches to fill. Yesterday I couldn't fit the entire second batch in the container the kernels are just so large (huge). If I was selling popcorn at an event, I would really make a nice profit using this brand. I strongly recommend.
on August 31, 2016
I don't know if I got old kernels or if Orville changed his supplier, but this popcorn is not living up to expectations. I bought it to go with the Nordicware popcorn bowl and it just doesn't pop up fluffy, like I think it should. When purchasing the bowl, Amazon suggested this popcorn as a frequent purchase. There are quite a bit of hulls stuck to each kernel. How do they remove the hulls anyway? Well, back to the point. I used about a 1/4 of it and then bought a small jar of Pop Secret and OMG..what a difference.Every kernel popped up light and fluffy and very few hulls So, this giant jug of unused Orville is sitting in my cabinet, waiting for me to , well, I guess pop it up and toss it in the yard for all the little birdies to enjoy. The whole point was to pop corn without all the goop they add to those little microwave bags. To that end, I guess it works. I'm sure if I had children in the house, they wouldn't complain.
on November 14, 2016
Easy to pour...did note that sometimes the popped corn is better than other times, but may be the amount I'm putting in my popper. This now is an edit. Near the bottom of the container, but price has gone up nearly 3 dollars! Won't pay it. Back to looking for a better deal!
on February 2, 2018
Found an adorable Stanley cup popcorn popper for a family Christmas gift (my grandson plays hockey)....and being able to add Orville Redenbacher popcorn in this size (it's a BIG family) is like icing the cake! Orville has NEVER let us down when it comes to popcorn - microwave to the old-fashioned popper, it always pops well and is delicious.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 27, 2015
I bought this brand of popcorn because of the name. Before using O.Redenbacher I was pretty indifferent about popcorn. All the micro-wave bag popcorn was simply second-rate. Along with this I purchased the Nordic Ware microwave popper pan, and I use coconut oil that can take a high temperature heat. Was I ever surprised when it came out of the microwave! It was very white and tasted delicious, and I hadn't even added salt and melted butter yet. I keep a batch of it on the kitchen counter and take a handful about every time I pass by. That never happened until Master Redenbacher entered my home.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I randomly Googled "secret to movie popcorn" one day and discovered Flavacol was the secret ingredient. I decided to try some, along with these popcorn kernels, and the results may just make you sneak your own popcorn in bags into a movie theater. Below is my recipe for a serving for two people.

— SERVING FOR TWO —
Ingredients:
• 1/2 cup of Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn, Original, 8lbs (this item)
• 1 teaspoon of Gold Medal Flavacol Seasoning Salt, 35oz.
• 3 tablespoon Paragon Coconut Popcorn Popping Oil, gallon
• Add as much to your liking of Great Northern Movie Theater Butter Topping, gallon (pending recommendation)

Directions:
1) Turn stove to medium-high on a medium pot (with a lid available); add coconut oil and Flavacol, mix around.
2) Drop in three kernels of popcorn as testers; put the lid on with a slight opening.
3) Once the three kernels pop, the oil is ready and you can pour all the kernels in and make sure the oil coats the kernels; put the lid on with a slight opening.
4) The popcorn will start popping. Once the popping stops to about 1 every few seconds, turn off the heat and let it sit for a minute for residual popping.
5) Pour popcorn into a bowl or two and add your butter oil topping of choice. I use a Tablecraft Olive Oil Dispenser, 8 oz with butter topping because it makes it easy to pour. Feel free to add any other food items (like Hawaiian Arare Crackers; this stuff is amazing) during this point.

*** TIP ***
The suggested kernel amount is for a medium-sized pot. If you want to pop more kernels you will need a bigger pot or it will overflow.

— SUMMARY —
Making movie popcorn can get expensive for all the ingredients, but compare it to how much it cost at the theaters and you'll change your mind. These kernels have about a 99% popping rate and are pretty tasty. Recommended.
11 comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 25, 2017
Great popcorn! For years I bought another brand from Amazon but decided to try this. It's yellower, pops larger (in my air popper), isn't tough, smells better, and tastes better than what I'd been buying. Buying 8 pounds at a time is a lot of popcorn, so i transfer batches of it into another air tight container
on January 24, 2018
It arrived broken and exploded all over. Had to dispose of kernels not knowing where they’ve been. Says I’m not eligible for return. Waste of money so sad.
review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.