Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on February 23, 2017
I don't write a lot of reviews, but this stuff is worth a review.

Folks, Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popcorn IS all that! It's the second best popcorn I've ever eaten. Anywhere, anytime. Which is sad. Read on.

I'm a serious popcorn junkie. I eat popcorn 3-4 times a week and blow through one of these 8# jugs pretty quick. Too quick. I used to buy it in 3# jars at Target years ago, but then they stopped carrying it and those smaller jars at the supermarket were just too rich for my blood - I went back to Jolly Time.

Over the years I've sampled a lot of popcorns (hundreds of pounds), and I keep coming back to the inescapable fact that Orville Redenbacher's is simply and consistently the best. Jolly Time is OK. Trader Joe's 'Organic' is OK too (good flavor, less volume, an occasional stone). But for volume, texture and flavor it's O.R. hands down.

Which is a bummer, 'cause the stuff is expensive! Let me just climb up onto my soapbox here. I'm especially outraged that between the time I bought my first jug at Amazon last October it cost $11.49 and when I bought it again this January (TWO jugs - after going back to other brands and not being satisfied) it cost $14.88. I know the cost of corn didn't rise that much last fall, but Amazon figured out I was enough of a sucker.

I tried to resist the gouge, went back to Jolly Time, and then to Trader Joe's 'Organic.' Sadly, once you've had the best those others just won't do. I'm back, getting gouged, but willing to pay. Shame on you, Amazon!

Bottom line, it's a gourmet item. If you wants the best, you gots to pay. I do. But I'm not happy. Nevertheless, while it offends me, I find the value still justifies the price. For now. Your mileage may vary.
22 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Top Contributor: Cookingon November 11, 2016
Popped beautifully in my air popper. Great high fiber snack(6g) and 4g protein per serving as well. 1/2 cup of this popped filled the biggest bowl I own and fed our family of 6. A little goes a long way. Very economical and fun to pop and eat.
The blue bowl is this corn. It pops big, but a little chewy. It was overflowing. By the time I took the picture, my kids had already grabbed some. The white bowl has white corn. White is crunchy, but small. Have a huge bowl ready or an extra bowl, this makes a lot of popcorn! I used 1/2 cup to make each!
review image
on October 1, 2016
No Complaints. I make popcorn in a big pot on the stove an usually use Amish Country, which is really good popcorn and non-gmo. BUT...the Amish brand is a bit expensive (I paid $12 for 4 lbs). So, I looked on Amazon for some better deals and saw this Orville 5 lb jug. I'm so happy I decided to try it! 100% natural and non-gmo, plus it only costed $8.?? for 5 lbs! I was getting more for my money. This is now my One and Only Go-To Popcorn, and let me tell you why :)

1. Pops better than the other brand I was using (didn't have any problem with popcorn sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning at all, unlike the other brand. I don't know why this was a problem with the other, but when made exactly the same way I made the Orville, it would do that.)

2. Tastes JUST LIKE Movie popcorn!! This is the stuff they use! I'm convinced....the other brand didn't taste like movie popcorn at all (and I use butter flavored salt and real butter on it)

3. Super Fluffy! I can put the same amount in my pan of the other brand and it only pops to about 3/4 the size of my pot (with ones on the bottom burnt a little). I use Orville (same methods, same amount) and when the popping settles, I open the lid and the popcorn is at the very top! I use a nice tall stainless steel pot (I think it's 8 quart if you're wondering).
on June 22, 2016
a love this product its very yummy and delicious every time I watch my show this is what I want to eat ..everyday I eat popcorn ..my husband always buy for me this product they wll not allow to finish it ..woow love it ..I hope I can get a good a promo code from the seller so I will continue to have it in our home .and share to my family and friends who visit us .. Only one thing I love this product very affordable and yummy .. It is healthy snacks easy to full your stomach ..I don't care if I wll eat ever night .. I enjoying and love it no one can stop me even my husband .. He loves to prepare me to and he knows I wll need it at night 😊
review image
on September 24, 2016
Normally I'm a bag-in-the-microwave person but thought i'd give this a whirl. Using a 5qt stove top chili pot with a glass cover i poured in one cup of kernels that had been mixed with ~2 tbsps of Wabash Valley Farms popping oil. It took a few minutes and a bit of shaking along the way but i eventually had a very full pot of perfectly popped popcorn with not a single burnt kernel to be found.

On a side note... watching this stuff pop under the glass cover of the pot was actually a bit exciting. One pop then another pop and then all of a sudden its an utter chaos of little explosions with kernels flying everywhere :)
on August 31, 2016
I don't know if I got old kernels or if Orville changed his supplier, but this popcorn is not living up to expectations. I bought it to go with the Nordicware popcorn bowl and it just doesn't pop up fluffy, like I think it should. When purchasing the bowl, Amazon suggested this popcorn as a frequent purchase. There are quite a bit of hulls stuck to each kernel. How do they remove the hulls anyway? Well, back to the point. I used about a 1/4 of it and then bought a small jar of Pop Secret and OMG..what a difference.Every kernel popped up light and fluffy and very few hulls So, this giant jug of unused Orville is sitting in my cabinet, waiting for me to , well, I guess pop it up and toss it in the yard for all the little birdies to enjoy. The whole point was to pop corn without all the goop they add to those little microwave bags. To that end, I guess it works. I'm sure if I had children in the house, they wouldn't complain.
on August 6, 2016
Over my long lifetime, I've made popcorn countless times. I do not recall ever having a result like I had yestereday with Orville's. I have a container I use to hold several poppings from my hot air popper. It usually takes three batches to fill. Yesterday I couldn't fit the entire second batch in the container the kernels are just so large (huge). If I was selling popcorn at an event, I would really make a nice profit using this brand. I strongly recommend.
on July 17, 2016
Nice tasting all natural popcorn at a great price. Say goodbye to all of those expensive microwavable salty popcorn bags. I also found that your microwave continues to cook your popcorn even after the kernels have popped, so get rid of those artificially flavored overcooked popcorn bags. If you love hot fluffy great tasting all natural popcorn and not the supermarket pre-popped shelf bags that are loaded with fat, salt, artificial butter and preservatives, then get a hot air popcorn maker and a jug of Orville Redenbacher Popcorn Kernels. A healthy snack alternative choice after let's say having your fill of fruit if you are a health conscious person. You choose what to put on your popcorn or not. My kids love it!
on November 21, 2015
Orville Redenbacher was not a Madison Avenue invention to sell popcorn. He was a scientist dedicated to breeding the tastiest popcorn possible. This corn is very good. Air popping delivers less of a crispy crunch but is the healthiest way to cook popcorn, so if you are committed to healthy popping, you owe it to yourself to only eat the one popcorn that a scientist and popcorn lover crafted over his entire career. No one paid me to say this and I am not connected to the seller in any way. I learn things from public radio and I make sure my kids eat healthy. When Redenbacher passed away, NPR did an in depth story on his life.
on November 12, 2016
You've got to be kidding me. With less than half used, stored correctly, and a best by June 16 2017 date my popcorn refused to pop. I certainly would never purchase this again. Problem is I ordered 2 bottles and I'm afraid I got another dud with the other. The other had the same best by date. Not worth trying to get my money back but well worth it warning others from suffering the same problem. ....... lot's of smoke....Save your money....there's a lot of other popcorn out there that has a much better shelf life. Shame. Incidently it's now November 11, 2016.