Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 142 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 183 reviews
on December 18, 2012
I felt the book was light entertainment and meant for an early teen audience. I also felt it was worth the modest price I paid for the day of reading. Slight spoilers follow: however, I had a difficult time with the world the authors created and this is what gives the book 3 stars at most in my opinion. The authors didn't do a good job of fleshing out who was actually sentient in this world. Are all animals sentient, or just prairie dogs, lions, etc? And it defies logic that everyone would be ok with being hunted for food. I think that you would have either a vegetarian society or you would have war. If a lion killed my family (like Osric's), I think I would be more likely to go out and kill that lion so he didn't kill any more people than think that my parents and siblings were part of some natural process. And how could anyone be ok with the possibility that a peasant farmer may kill and eat the greatest wand maker (a prairie dog) the world knows (wouldn't he be protected)? If you can believe this premise for a world society, then the story may be a 3.5 to 4 star read for you, but it was just too "cute" for me to stomach. I also agree with another reviewer that found Osric slightly dense and that the book ended abruptly.
on November 16, 2014
Review: Osric's Wand: The Wand Maker's Debate, book 1
I really like this book. There are 2 authors but you wouldn't know it. Their writing is great, seamless & edited well.
This book is about a man named Osric's who is the newly appointed Contege; the old Contege went missing. A Contege seems to be similar to a military commander. On the first day of the book, the palace in Osric's town is destroyed by a magical bomb. Only a few of the occupants, himself included, escaped deaths door. The people who died: palace staff, guards and dignitaries from all of the other races and cities in Archana, were there to sign a treaty of peace that has been centuries in the making. Osric, who is furious & determined to find out who would want to not only sabotage the treaty but kill without remorse. Some very strange things occur along the way: Osric's is saved during that attack, by a unicorn, he is buried alive by the rubble but survives, when he's found--he's given a "Gus" wand & his first connection or bonding spell with that wand is beyond bizzare, but he believes it is an indicator that his new wand is very special and powerful. Osric, & Gus, who happens to be the best wand maker around & yet he's a prairie dog, Bridget- the maiden to the unicorns (she can sense their inner thoughts) & Kenneth-Osric's bff and self appointed guardian for Osric's welfare, set out on a dragon as transportation to investigate some of the leads and attempt to stop this conspiracy and war. What they find on their travels is astonishing, good and bad. The main affront has been to the dragons, a great injustice that makes the whole sad and furious. But who ordered this? Who's responsible? Is it possible his kingdom is involved? Osric vows to find out but now "they" know he won't give up so they are just as determined to stop him at all costs. Bridget and Osric are falling in love but are both insecure on that path. They fumble, and miscommunication to I leads to broken hearts and separation. Meanwhile, back in Archana, their are political maneuvers happening. If Osric doesn't return soon, there won't be a contege position or a military anymore besides his people are suffering.

Sent from my iPhone
on March 29, 2017
For me the story didn't grab me right away, hence four stars! By the end, I think it rated a five or more. I am now into it big time. This is an interesting and fun fantasy. Animals are one thing but talking animals with magical abilities is unbelievable. I am on to the next book. Thanks for writing so well and letting me join in the adventure.
Lynn
on June 16, 2012
"What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick" - Anonymous

what would have been a peaceful treaty signing ends in tragedy and Archana is on the brink of war. as Vigile Contege, Osric must do everything he can to avert further disaster and find out what or who was behind the heinous act.
authors Jack D. Albrecht Jr. and Ashley Delay deliver a fantasy adventure novel filled with mythical creatures, intrigue, deception and loads of magic.
there is so much to love about this magical tale. unicorns, wand-making praire dogs and dragons are just some among the many denizens that populate the world of Archana which Osric and his band of travelers meet along the way in their quest for answers.
the world- and wordbuilding are spellbinding. the characters are well-fleshed out including the non-human ones and the most endearing among them is Pebble, the youngest son of the famous wand-maker Gus. Gus himself is one character readers would both love to hate and hate to love for his intellectual airs and snobbish arrogance. later in the story, however, Gus humbles himself a few notches down when he acknowledges that even the greatest wand-maker who ever lived still has a lot to learn and then some.
Osric, the main protagonist, is our reluctant hero who discovers something about himself beyond his wildest imaginings. as the tale progresses, he matures and embraces who he is and what he is capable of.
another thing i love are the dialogs between Osric and Gus. they are well-written and their constant bickering add humor and spice throughout the book.
this novel would surely delight everyone who enjoys a wholesome read. it is suitable even for advanced middle grade readers.
i highly recommend this book and i look forward to Osric's next adventure in The High-Wizard's Hunt.
on June 3, 2016
This was a great read! It was filled with all the ideas needed to be a great fantasy read. The authors developed a new world filled with wonder, new abilities & great characters. There was humor, mystery, fun. Other reviewers have mentioned that animals talk in this book & that they hunt each other. This is part of the world & the rules that the authors have built. As a fantasy novel you have to able to immerse yourself & believe in that world. In my opinion this was well done in this book. Looking forward to reading the next volume in the series!
on May 26, 2012
Osric's Wand: The Wand-Maker's Debate is a very enjoyable fantasy tale with magic, talking beasts, wizards, and dragons. For those who have a love of stories such as The Chronicles of Narnia and Eragon, I believe Osric's Wand will not disappoint! I loved the main characters in this book, and I particularly enjoyed Gus, the talking prairie dog with attitude. This creature's sarcasm and grumpy demeanor kept me smiling throughout.

I won't give away any spoilers by detailing any specifics from the book (plus I stink at writing synopses), but what I can say is Jack D. Albrecht Jr. and Ashley Delay have created a world that has the potential for an epic fantasy series. The satisfying ending of this book hints at an exciting sequel.

For a debut novel I was very impressed. There were a few typos, but not near enough to pull me off the page and distract me from having fun reading this novel. I will definitely be getting the sequel!

Since I can't rate the book 4 1/2 stars, this one gets rounded up because it just did not feel right giving it 4 stars. :-)
on August 11, 2013
I came into this book with high expectations based off the product blurb and the myriad of 5 star reviews it was given, but I have come away disappointed. The writer does show some potential; I at least found the world itself interesting, but the rest seemed... amateurish. The characters did not feel either real nor compelling. Never once did I find myself making an emotional connection with a character, or putting myself in their shoes. They just didn't feel real to me, they were more cardboard cutouts than anything.

The plot seemed to ramble, I was over halfway through the book and yet I still had no idea where things were going, and I had half forgotten the reasons characters were doing anything. I felt no urgency, nor any reason that I should care.

This also may be a bit of a personal taste in writing, but I disliked how often the writer passively spelled out a character's thoughts and feelings. It left nothing to guess at in a situation. This probably contributed to the one dimensional nature of characters.

As other reviewers have suggested, perhaps this book is geared more to children and preteens, but I don't consider it a novel many adults would enjoy.
on August 9, 2015
the author weaves a number of contemporary (and historical) ethical questions throughout the story and within the characters, especially involving Respect for Self and Respect for Others and Animals, as well as being willing to learn new thoughts and "things", despite thinking we already know more than other people. We can learn new concepts, enhance our own talents, and help others improve as well, if we just humble ourselves and not always have to be the center of attention.
on June 4, 2012
After finishing reading Osric's Wand: The Wand-Maker's Debate, my initial impression of this book was, "WOW!" The co-authors have weaved a well written, well developed original fantasy story with an unbelievable cast of characters, and an interesting take on magic.

In the world of Arcana, magic is the very fabric of life. Every species has its own magic, and can communicate with one another through verbal speech. Obviously interspecies conflicts exist, but there is finally an everlasting peace at hand. But an act of terrorism occurs, and threat of war is again afoot. Osric is charged with finding the culprits and a way to end the threat of war.

Osric's mission takes him half way around the world, and he meets interesting characters who help him along the way. The plot is well developed with surprising twists and turns. The authors develop a unique system of magic, and the readers spend a lot of time exploring the magic of Arcana.

Osric's Wand:The Wand-Maker's Debate is a wonderful debut novel highly recommended to all fantasy readers.
on September 18, 2014
This one was a surprise - a YA-style fantasy with talking animals, all sharing a strong aversion to ending up "rotting in the ground." The first time I read a civil interaction between a hunter and his target (he thanks the prey for generously feeding his family and asks what he can do for the prey to fulfill a last request) it made me laugh with delight. It is a very fun tale and I am expecting to read through its two sequels, too.

One criticism - though it is written better than much of the unedited stuff one finds at the lower end of books, there are enough editing errors - grammar mistakes that the editor didn't catch, for example. Usage errors. But the editing was pretty good, for all that and the quality of the story-telling more than made up for what was probably quite a fast edit.

I also like that the authors give credit to the editor - not enough people understand how important it is to have a second pair of eyes go over a manuscript for smoothing and fixing little glitches. The editing here, despite some mistakes, is much better than on most books at this end of the price scale.

This is a fun tale told with a good heart so I'm giving it the full five stars. Read it in the spirit the authors intended and you'll have quite an enjoyable few hours in store.