Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 342 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 400 reviews
on June 23, 2014
Wow, the big guys must use this, thought I. That's good enough for me. This thing is awesome, easy to use, easy to clean. The booklet has a chart of steaming times for different foods that so far has been very accurate. You do have to use a tiny bit of thought in how you use the tiers and your placement of food: don't block all the steam holes by overfilling, and stuff that takes longer to cook goes in the bottom tier.

This will sound kind of goofy, but I would buy this steamer if I never used it for anything but hard-cooked eggs, and that's the truth. I've yet to meet an XL egg that peels without taking about a third of the white with it, and in way too many years of cooking I've tried all the tricks. The shell still comes off in tiny fragments, or big ones that leave craters in the egg. If I need to make a dozen perfect deviled eggs I have to cook two dozen and hope for the best. The top tier has indentations to hold eight eggs, XL eggs steam for 16 minutes, I let them cool naturally (no cold water bath or ice water plunge). Under a little running water the shells usually come off in one piece, two at most, EVERY time. When I need a dozen perfect eggs I steam a dozen eggs, no hoping involved, and because they're no longer a PITA to peel I keep hard-cooked eggs on hand all the time now.
on November 7, 2016
How did I even cook before I owned this miracle device? This thing is a game-changer!! It is super easy to use, steams a ton of food at once, and is easy to clean up. I do meal prepping (cooking all your food on one day a week) and this thing is a lifesaver. I realize steam cooking, regardless of what tool you use, is based on the same concept (hot steam cooks your food), but for whatever reason, the design of this appliance cooks the food so much more evenly than a stovetop basket steamer. I've cooked about every kind of vegetable in it and everything has been perfect. The cooking times are sometimes a little more or less than what is indicated in the manual, so there is some trial and error involved, but once you find the right time for the kind of food you are cooking, you will hit the jackpot. I also steam eggs in it -- they come out way better than hard boiling... easier to peel and more evenly cooked. I have cooked meat in it as well, although I found it hard to season the meat so I haven't used it many times for that purpose. If you can find room in your kitchen for this steamer, I highly recommend you purchase it. I use it every single week!
VINE VOICEon March 25, 2007
I was reluctant to purchase a food steamer because I have a family of very picky veggie eaters and thought this was the only use for this machine. After reading previous reviews on this product, I bought it anyway because the price was right and I decided I could at least use it as a rice cooker. My first meal I made was by placing some flavored rice mix and some cut up raw chicken in the rice bowl of the steamer and turned it on. It turned out perfectly!! This machine can be used to reheat leftovers, steam ANYTHING and make hard cooked eggs. The possibilities are endless and has now become a staple appliance in my kitchen!! A word of caution, BE CAREFUL opening the steamer after cooking, I got overly anxious and got a wicked steam burn!!

This is also very easy to clean~ I placed it in the top rack of the dishwasher, is quiet, and very durable. A MUST HAVE kitchen item!
0Comment| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2016
I have used Oster steamers for over twenty plus years. I use it almost daily only for steaming vegetables. My last one was the smaller round version which was ok but did not hold as much and took longer to reach steam temperature and total cooking time. For the small difference in cost recommend this unit over smaller one unless storage space is a priority. The steamer is very well made, easy to use and requires virtually no care. It comes with two stackable steamer trays so if you have a lot to steam it can handle it. After many uses the heating element may get some white crusting due to water quality but this is easily cleaned by putting in some white vinegar and heating it up. I would caution that when you remove the cover care is needed because you will get a burst of hot steam. This can be avoided by removing the cover toward you thereby shielding yourself from the steam. Highly recommend. I hope this review is helpful!
on March 25, 2014
My wife and I had an old "Sunbeam Food & Rice Steamer" that served us well. However, after using if for almost 20 years, the bottom of the steam basket was breaking loose. So, we decided that "Ole Steamy" had more than given us our money's worth. I did a lot of research on the internet and after considerable consideration, I decided to give this, "Oster 5711" a try. The reasons I chose it over the other ones are because it so closely resembled our old Sunbeam, except this new one has the extra steam basket, which I'm not sure we'll ever use, but it's there if we need it. Also, the addition of the water level window is a nice feature if you're doing some long term steaming. The reason I chose the mechanical timer over the electronic digital timer is because I was an electronics technician and I can tell you one thing for sure, solid state circuit boards, such as the ones used in electronic timers and steam don't get along. I don't care what they use to seal the board or how well they think they have it sealed, eventually the steam will break through and when it gets to that printed circuit board, then it's time for the trash bin. Other than these minor changes, the Oster 5711 could be and probably is made by the same company that made the old Sunbeam. Also, this steamer got good customer review and after deciding on a product, I pay very close attention to customer reviews, especially the bad ones. Since receiving our new steamer, we've only used it a couple of times and so far it has performed just as advertised and as well if not better than "Ole Steamy". How well will it hold up? Only time will tell.
on November 27, 2015
After a friend's recommendation, I bought one of the 5711's to cook small batches of tamales in. It worked GREAT for tamales. I filled the larger container, set it at the max 75 minutes and ding! Steamed and ready to eat! I've always worried about the amount of water to add to the big pots to insure a good constant steam that tamales need to cook, as a matter of fact, since the tamales couldn't be stacked so heavy like in a big pot, the masa fluffed better and bigger than I ever expected in the past.
*For tamale making, the only con would be that it's a pain to reset for each batch, as in clearing out the drip tray and the reservoir to add fresh clear water, but it was well worth it.
***CON: My only concern is that even before the first use, the heat element had a rough feel and appeared to be peeling, and when I cleaned the steamer I paid special attention to gently wipe the element without scrubbing, but the coating continued to flake and peel. I'm wondering if this is normal and if I continue to use this steamer if these flakes will end up in our food.
review image
on January 20, 2015
Very happy with this steamer (it is a replacement as my old smaller Black and Decker model which lasted forever finally stopped working).
A steamer is one item that is a must for me (and I cook a lot) , so convenient and I can walk away while cooking, when the bell rings it is done.
I was a little worried about not getting another Black and Decker because mine lasted so long, but I really needed something larger as I often cook for a lot of people. I have used this many times and works very well, size is great can easily fit in large cauliflower head (chopped up) and if not enough room in one I use 2nd tray.
I have cooked fish and chicken in it they come out great, chicken remains moist. Fish came out very good also but I had a hard time cleaning it afterwards residue stuck to sides just need to find the right cleaner so doesn't scratch sides maybe soak in soapy water.
Pros: I love the large size and 2 tray options (literally have cook entire meal in the steamer at same time just put foods that take less time to cook on top tray and remove them when done and finish cooking bottom tray).
Easy to clean other than fish oils
BPA free plastic
Cons: Water amount is always the same so seems to waste some water (Black and Decker model specified different water levels).
No specific timing directions for different foods i.e. frozen veggies verses fresh (you just have to experiment) Black and Decker model took out the guess work.
Lid seems very thin plastic may break easily if dropped.
Only time will tell if it will last as long as my Black and Decker.
I'm a steamer fanatic. Over the past 15 years, I've owned 6 steamers. I currently have 4 working steamers (including this one).

What I love about this steamer is that:
- It's compact, yet roomy enough to steam lots of vegetables and a meal for one.
- You can fill the steamer from the outside if the water reservoir gets too low.
- You have the option of two tiers for extra steaming capacity.
- The smaller steamer basket has 8 dimples in it for standing up 8 eggs for steaming.
- It's easy to clean.
- All you have to do is set the timer and the steam begins almost immediately.
- The cord on this steamer is about 2 inches longer than the other steamers I've had or have.
- Customer service is responsive as long as you can get through the automated system. My recommendation is to hit zero twice to be transferred to a live person.

One thing I don't like is that the plastic is very thin. I've had this unit less than a week and I just feel that if you are not careful it will be easy to crack the plastic compared to my other three steamers.

In addition, after following the instructions in the manual, I discovered that this steamer takes a few minutes longer to steam food compared to any other steamer I've had. At first I thought it was because I use my own Pyrex bowl to steam with. However, when I tried their plastic rice bowl, I got the same results. For instance, with three of my other steamers, I steamed steel cut oatmeal every morning for 17 minutes. However, with this steamer it takes about 19-20 minutes to get it to the same consistency I like. However, after a few days I figured out why the food was taking longer to steam.

I realized that the manual doesn't tell you that you don't have to use the drip tray when you are using the rice bowl (or your own bowl) inside the steamer basket. I called Oster on 1-800-334-0759 and spoke to Robin who confirmed that the drip tray is not needed as long as you are also using the rice bowl inside the steamer basket. I asked if they would update their documentation and she chuckled and said "probably not." This is the only steamer I had where those instructions were missing and this now explains why my food was taking long. I've since left off the drip tray when steaming my oatmeal in my own bowl inside the steamer basket and the steaming time is equivalent to the other steamers I've had/have.

In case you are wondering, the past and present 6 steamers in my collection were/are:
--> One small round Black and Decker Steamer (extinct now) which was great but only lasted about two years. This was my first steamer that I got in the mid-90's.
--> One Krups Optisteam Plus (viewable on Amazon at this link - http://www.amazon.com/Krups-652-70-OptiSteam-2-Tier-Steamer/dp/B00004SPEI but for some reason not searchable on Amazon by name). I had this since February 1999 and it was my most used steamer but I thought it was just a tad large for everyday single person use. It just broke.
--> This steamer Oster 5711 Mechanical Food Steamer; which is replacing my Krups.
--> Two Richard Simmons EST7 Steam-Heat Electronic Food Steamers which I absolutely love. But they are very large and good for steaming full meals.
--> One rice steamer, the Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker and Warmer, Premium White, which is excellent but that I don't use nearly enough. It's also a little different that these plastic steamers in function.

In summary, this Oster 5711 is an excellent steamer that I would definitely consider purchasing again despite the one con I posted.
on December 14, 2012
We like veggies at our house. We usually have some sort of vegetable at every meal, but cooking them was a bit hit and miss. I don't like boiled carrots because they get soggy, and the broccoli would get overcooked easily.

I bought this steamer on the recommendation of my daughter. It is fabulous. I put in the veggies -- broccoli, cabbage, carrots, Brussels sprouts, whatever, and set the timer. When dinner is done, so are my perfectly steamed vegetables. I can cook more than one type of vegetable at a time by just arranging them in the steamer. It is easy, and I don't have any more soggy vegetables. I haven't tried it for fish yet, but my my daughter says it works great for that, too. There is a bit of a learning curve on the timer since not everyone wants vegetables cooked to the same degree of doneness. The chart that comes with the steamer is a good place to start, and we have learned to set it for a minute or two less since we like them a bit crisp. I can hardly wait for my asparagus and snap peas in the spring. Food cooks evenly if the pieces are about the same size. For Brussels sprouts, I cut large ones in half and cook small ones whole.

It cleans in a breeze. I just rinse it out under warm running water, and once a week put it through the dishwasher (top shelf) for the parts that are in contact with the food. It started out living in my pantry but has now graduated to the counter next to the toaster oven and coffee pot. I literally use it every day.

I chose the mechanical timer rather than the electronic timer and it works great. It is pretty precise and accurate. I love this thing. It is the best small appliance I've bought in years.
on July 24, 2014
I am delighted with this steamer. Easy to use, quick to start steaming and the suggestion guide for steaming time is a good base from which to start. I especially like the fact that the food can been seen while it is steaming. As with anything that is being cooked, the times vary but after a few uses you will find the range that works best for your tastes as you would with any cooking device. Don't be afraid to experiment. Healthy and delicious. Thanks Oster.