Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,892 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,139 reviews
on October 1, 2011
I've had this blender for a month and use it every morning to make my green smoothie. It works very well, thoroughly pulverizing tough leafy greens (mainly kale) and cubes of ice into liquid along with various types of fresh and frozen fruit. The powerful 600-watt motor is noticeably more effective than the more common 450-watt motors.

The pre-programed blending modes are very nice. The Frozen Drink program reverses the blade while ramping up the speed. The blade reverse feature really helps get stubborn frozen fruit, ice and tough leafy greens down into the blades.

The glass pitcher and the rubber top seal very well, and the steel blade mechanism is mondo durable. The bottom collar and rubber seal work flawlessly to prevent leaks and reliably mate the pitcher to the base.

A few minor negatives: "7-speed" is a bit deceptive. This is a 3-speed blender (High, Med, Low) with a high and low pulse plus the two pre-programed blending modes: Food Chop and Frozen Drink. Also, this blender is loud when running on high speed. Granted it is not any louder than other blenders, but be aware it makes noise. It would be nice if the blade reverse were available outside the Frozen Drink program, i.e. with a dedicated control button.

Overall a excellent blender. You won't be sorry you bought it.

UPDATE (March 2013): Still going strong, chopping up ice and smoothies every morning. Be sure to replace the blade periodically. I recommend the ice chopper blade if you are doing smoothies or a lot of ice. It is time to replace the when it has a lot of up-and-down movement on the blade shaft. New blades are tight with no such movement.

UPDATE (October 2014): The blender still working great. Just replace those blades.

UPDATE (July 2016): Still going strong. Keep those blades changed. A reply below claims their blender does not reverse in Frozen Drink mode. Not sure if Oster changed the specs. Please see attached video.

Enjoy! :)
88 comments| 342 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2016
Before I buy anything I spend a lot of time researching the product. I knew I wanted a blender for a moderate price with a glass "pitcher". So before buying I read professional reviews, customer reviews and manufacturer reviews. Just couldn't find anything that fit my requirements. Then I looked at the blender I was replacing and realized it was an Oster and was about 30 years old. Growing up we always had an Oster. In fact I have the one that my Dad used to make his Gin Fizzes on Saturday mornings and it still works! So I went back to Amazon and searched for Oster blenders and found this one - the Reverse Crush Counterforms blender...It got/has mixed reviews but for what I am using it for it seemed to be fine. The price is more than reasonable so I took a chance. Glad I did. This is a great blender. Mind you, all I've used it for is to make smoothies but it's working really well for that. I do NOT use frozen fruit, I thaw my fruit first but it doesn't totally destroy the fruit while blending. It's hard to describe but I can taste the banana and blueberry and apples individually and can even feel tiny pieces of apple and berry in my mouth. I like that. And it's not terribly loud either which I'm sure my neighbors appreciate as I tend to make a smoothie at midnight and in San Francisco we're pretty much on top of each other. Anyway, the glass pitcher is way better than plastic which I think harbors bacteria and is bad for the environment. Take a chance and get this blender, if you don't like it you can always send it back but I don't think you will.
on December 27, 2016
I have had this blender a few months now, tried it side by side with a Nutribullet. The blender performs well, makes the smoothies almost as smooth but not quite if that's an issue for you. It looks even nicer than pictured and does a reliable and consistently great job. My only criticism is that it can have a tendency to 'walk' on the counter as the base design wise could be heavier to prevent this but overall I just put my hand on it. The program for smoothies is very convenient, great blender at a decent price!
on July 6, 2011
I bought this to make green smoothies - those addictive fruit and vegetable combinations (for those few of you who haven't heard about them yet). We have an Oster blender from the 1960s that still works great, but we were worried that aggressive daily blending might be too much for its 50 year old motor. We love our old blender's retro look and we are not ready to part with it, so we decided to buy a new blender. The Vitamix and Blendtec units are being pushed for green smoothies, but as we already have lots of food processors to do all that other work (second marriages, two full kitchens...) all we really wanted was a blender. We looked at other makes, but Oster consistently got great reviews, and as we had been so happy with our other Oster, choosing this brand was very easy.

We chose this model because it was basic, and was a very good price on Amazon. I don't like pre programmed appliances, so I was a bit put off by the "Frozen Drink" and "Food Chop" buttons. Clearly this is aimed at the margarita-and-salsa crowd. Although it was my intention to ignore the pre programmed settings and just use the manual ones, the "frozen drink" setting turned out to be just great for smoothies. It reverses direction a couple of times which pulls all those fruits and vegetables into the blades. You still need to pack it sensibly so that the blades have something to grab and liquify at the beginning but the reversing feature means you don't have to be quite as concerned. Depending on the ingredients, it sometimes needs to blend a little longer than the frozen drink setting allows, so I use the high speed setting on manual for a few seconds.

I have run the motor for a couple of minutes to see what it can do and whether the base unit became warm or started to smell like burning plastic - the signs of poor quality blenders. This has emitted neither heat nor smell as a warning that it was being used too hard. If you let it run on high for a minute or so it will completely pulverize everything, right down to the strawberry seeds. The "food chop" setting is not particularly useful because the shape of the blender jug does not allow enough movement for this to work properly. A food processor or mini-chop does a far better job. If all you want is a basic, reliable, powerful blender, this may be the unit for you. I'll admit that I was almost seduced by the Blendtec demo at Costco, but I know I would never use most of the features (grind flour? Make ice cream?), and all I really needed was a really good blender, which this is, at a fraction of the cost. This one feels very substantial, and has a glass jar.

Just changed my review to five stars. I have had it for 1.5 years now and it is still doing great.
2020 comments| 715 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2017
I have owned this blender for 4 years, and it is still chugging along. I use it about 10 times a week: I make a green smoothie every day, and I make a quart of almond milk about 3 times a week. I specifically chose this brand and model because of the glass container. Do not get suckered into buying a blender with a plastic container that advertises that it is BPA-free. There are literally dozens of chemicals in plastic, the effects of which have not been fully studied. For myself, I do not want a smoothie or almond milk which has been smashed into plastic at super high speed.
on February 3, 2016
This blender exceeds my expectations! I bought it to mix drinks, but what the heck let's try a green smoothie. Short version -- not bad at all, and it's a regular dinner now. I've lost about 5 pounds in 2 weeks, and who would believe I'm actually eating raw green leafy vegetables? My recipe follows, but I adapted it from the "carrot green juice" recipe on the product page.

Here's the reason for this review -- if you buy the blender, FOR GOODNESS' SAKE BUY A SET OF SEALING RINGS! Two weeks in, I made a fruit smoothie for lunch, which leaked quite a bit, because the blender shredded the o-ring. I have no clue what I did to mis-assemble the darn thing, but just let me say three things: 1) O-ring bits taste terrible; 2) No retail store that I've found carries them; and 3) they take days and days to get to your house when you need 'em in a hurry. If you buy a blender, any blender, get some sealing rings too, and get the real ones from the manufacturer. [Follow-up -- get the sealing rings ONLY from Oster -- $3.99 for a 2-pack. I bought some at Amazon labelled "Genuine Oster replacement part," and they were counterfeits. I don't buy replacement parts at Amazon any more.]

My green smoothie: 1 cup water; 4 ice cubes; 3 tbsp powdered hemp protein (Nutiva; my grocery store carries it, and so does Amazon); 1 tsp or so honey (because hemp protein tastes like tree bark); 1/2 of a large carrot, chopped; small chunk of fresh ginger root, peeled; 1 medium apple, cored and chopped; 1/2 cup kale leaves, lightly packed; 1 cup spinach leaves, lightly packed. Hit the "Frozen Drink" button, and watch the magic. If no one's watching, drink it straight from the pitcher. Lose weight and feel smug.

By the way, "The Smoothies Bible," Pat Crocker, is the one to get.
on April 13, 2017
If you're like me and overflow your blender with large pieces of fruits and veggies and all kinds of other stuff when making smoothies, then this is for you. The "frozen drinks" setting works best to chop up all the ingredients, then "high ice crush" setting finishes blending to a smooth consistency. I've had it for a few months and am very pleased. FYI .. I just noticed that the price is now $63 - I paid around $40. Always prudent to comparison-shop before committing to the "buy now" button...
on May 10, 2017
I hate Amazon reviews where someone gets something, uses it once, and then writes a rave review. I want to know if it is going to last. We bought this blender is 2013, and now, 4 years later, and hundreds and hundreds of smoothies (preferred breakfast of my teenagers) and it's still running just fine. I like that.
on February 19, 2016
If you blend it twice there are no pulp! It completely liquefies your smoothie making it truly smooth!!! You can put it through a sieve and there is no pulp at all! It crushes ice into snow!! This blender is amazing!!! A website said this is a really good blender but not the best but after reading the reviews of the "better" ones this one looked like a better buy and it cost way less and it is. My mom has a Ninja that she paid twice as much for and it leaves pieces. Vitamix is $450.00 and it is not this good. There is a chop setting but I have not tried that yet. From what I'm seeing so far, I think I got more than what I paid for and am very happy!

The satisfaction warranty is for 3 years and the warranty on the motor is for 10 years. It is heavy because it is All Metal and no plastic pieces to break. The blades should be replaced every so often and those are about $10.00 but to just replace that part for a quality blender that will last you many years is not too much to ask for.

Other people have had this blender and updated their review every year saying they continued to be happy with it by replacing the blade. Another woman said she bought another one in-case they stopped making it.
on July 25, 2015
Right off after 1st few smoothie blends, trying out all the vaious buttons, I was not impressed.
But now after several uses, I think this is the best blender under $200, IMHO its The Blender to own. Taking frozen strawbeeries, my Cusinart did not offer REVERSE tech that allows the blades to go back and forth, allowing the strawberries to slowly drop into the blades, with a perfect pulp.
I use the crushed ice lever on my frig to add with my smoothies (milk, cream, Evapotrated milk, protein powder, crushed ice, blends super smooth in 10 seconds, or less,,even whole cubes I assume will be crushed smooth.
The low/mid power button s are also good for allowing frozen stawbeeries to blend, w/o having to stop, stick a spoon insidem, push down the portion not blending, restart etc hassle.

this blender has one blend popwer, HIGH,,which offers plenty of high power.

UPDATE I miss my cusinart. the oster will lasta lifetime that's for sure, but the cusinart makes better margritas and smoothies with crushed uice,,The cusinart blends the ice into super tiny particles,,whereas the oster leaves lumps of ice.
Besides both are about the same price, if you get 2-5 yrs service of the cusinart, whats that like $15/yr.
Go CUSINART, This oster has lots of dysfunctional buttons..The cusinart has low/high, but performs all you need.
Sorry Mr Oster, you build to last forever, but I'm looking for super fine blended ice.

The blade is a new 6 blade technology , pureeing all your ingredients perfectly.
Like all Oster products, built lake a tank, to *last forever*.