Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by Garth Brooks Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon April 7, 2013
Color: Metallic Red|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
Executive Summary: First, superseded version: great. Second version, same model number, significantly better. Highly recommend after testing almost 250 bottles.

Note: the opener will last longer than the foil cutter; an excellent replacement is the EDGY® Wine Foil Cutter . My Review is at http://www.amazon.com/review/R8DDCJOAORNVP

[This Review covers two different versions of this opener, both with the same model number, the second a considerable improvement of the first. Read my review in chronological order, top to bottom -- the openers both got better and better with use.]

April, 2013: Initial doubts: For example, can you replace the corkscrew when the original one gets dull? I don't see how, frankly, but perhaps for thirty bucks that isn't important for you, just buy a new one.

Not so good with plastic corks -- I wish all wines meant to be drunk in the first five years after bottling had screw caps, but that just the dreams of an old guy who has poured too many expensive bottles down the drain. (I admit that I am very sensitive to TCA, and probably guys like me have no business using an electric wine bottle opener.)

But, gee, on the right kind of cork, this is a very good wine bottle opener -- only 18 cases so far, but every one was pulled out beautifully and then ejected without any change of button pushing. The little cutter thingie -- does it have a technical name -- works great and the holder on the side of the main case is a brilliant design feature.

Holds a charge well here -- we opened 18 bottles during one tasting with no loss of power.

Great product -- but can it be recycled when the cork screw gets dull? No way as far as I can tell.

Robert C. Ross
April 2013

May 24, 2013: 24 bottles, 20 corks, 4 other -- going strong.

January 4, 2014: 114 bottles, 110 corks, screw is going strong but the foil cutter is failing.

February 22, 2014: 124 bottles, 120 corks, foil cutter showing amazing life, but several of the last few corks broke -- poor corks in general in our favorite Sancerre from Balland, but the screw handled the weak corks much better in the early going. If it were possible, I would change the screw at this point, but we will soldier on to see how it does in its after normal life. Cost so far (not counting electricity, $.25 per bottle.)

June 16, 2014: 157 bottles and corks, the foil cutter continues to show amazing life. We have had better corks since February, and the screw is performing admirably. If the cork is sound -- of course out of the control of the wine lover and the manufacturer of an electric opener -- this device is worth owning. Cost is under $.20 a bottle and the device is working as well as when we first tried it.

Based on this experience, I've moved from three to five stars. A very good electric opener.

August 31, 2014 Well, it finally has given up -- it would love to keep going, still takes a good charge but the point of the screw is too dull to pierce the corks. I still haven't found a way to replace the screw or to sharpen it -- so it is time for a replacement. Total usage: 202 bottles, or about fifteen cents a bottle. I'll shop around for a replacement, hopefully with a replaceable screw, but failing that, will buy another one.

***

September 15, 2014: No luck finding an electric opener with a point that can be easily sharpened; I ordered another Oster FPSTBW8220 Electric Wine Opener, Metallic Red with the same product number: Oster FPSTBW8220. Let's see if the second can beat my 15 month record with the first one.

December 17, 2014: In use, this version -- same model number but quite different in a couple of respects -- is a significant improvement. First, it's a little bit smaller and easier to hold for people with smaller hands. Second, and really important, there is a spring around the corkscrew which prevents the screw from going in at an angle. On lousy corks, that is a real advantage -- the screw has plenty of support all around the cork. Bravo!!!

42 corks, every one perfectly extracted, even four that crumbled after being removed. That spring is very helpful. The foil cutter is starting to dull a bit and we may have to find an inexpensive add on. My guess is that the screw itself will hold its sharpness longer because it cannot hit the glass sides of the bottle. I might try the Vinara Wine Opener Foil Remover Sharp 4 Wheel Wine Foil Cutter with Magnets, (Black), which is inexpensive but perhaps too cheaply made based on the wide range of reviews.

January 18, 2015: Boy, that spring is a dramatic improvement to this opener -- bravo to the engineers!

31 more corks since December 17, 73 altogether and not a single malfunction, including five crumbly corks on my close friend's favorite Sancerre -- Balland at balland.com/en/ .

July 1, 2015: 90 more corks, 163 altogether and not a single malfunction. We have moved from Sancerre to Pinot noirs from Oregon and France as our house wine because of some problems with heart burn; the reds have much better corks. It is a joy to use this opener.

Robert C. Ross
revised July 1, 2015

Addendum:

A very crisp, minerally Sancerre from that part of the Sancerre region where the chalk layers come close to the surface; this is the same structure as the white cliffs of Dover in England and runs east through Sancerre to the wonderful Champagne region in France. There are three distinct regions in Sancerre, and the ones from this area where the chalk is nearer the surface are really superb.

"Sancerre is a small wine district in central France, famous for its crisp, aromatic white wines made from Sauvignon Blanc. It is also known for its high-quality goat cheeses, which are an excellent match for the local wine. The vineyards here surround the eponymous town, which sits atop a bean-shaped hill overlooking the river Loire (see Loire Valley). The classic Sancerre wine is white, bracingly acidic, and has pungent aromas of gooseberries, grass, nettles, and a hint of stony minerality. Richer, riper examples - particularly those from warmer, west-facing sites with chalky soils - often show fruitier notes of passion fruit and lemon peel. Sancerre is typically less 'obvious' than the most famous New World styles of Sauvignon Blanc; less grassy than those from Marlborough and less overtly citrussy than those from Casablanca."

Much as we love Balland Sancerre, they really scrimp on their corks and despite contacting their importer twice, the bad cork rate holds steady at about 15%. This opener with the spring in the housing handles them with aplomb
22 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 9, 2017
Item arrived on time, however it never worked for me. We tried many different wine bottles and not once did it come all the way up or even half way up. It looked to be fine but must of been defective unit based on other positive reviews.
Amazon made the return very easy - only reason im giving this 2 stars.
on April 26, 2016
I am not as impressed with this wine opener as the positive reviews originally led me to believe. Maybe I am just an idiot but I feel like I have to make sure to put it in exactly the right way (right in the center) and then hold the bottle at the right angle to have the cork completely leave the bottle. Half the time the cork gets stuck midway through to coming out and I can pull it out with my hands but that kind of defeats the purpose of a fancy electric wine opener right? I may amend my review if I get better at using this. Regardless, it looks pretty on my bar!
on March 18, 2015
I have used this wine opener for approximately 2 months. I prefer it to the manual style corkscrews I've used because it removes even the trickiest of corks without breaking them. This product is also extremely easy to use once you get used to it and seems great for people who have arthritis or other conditions in their hands that make it difficult to use a corkscrew. On the down side, every time I have opened a bottle with this electric opener, I have found tiny flecks of cork in my wine. Additionally, the opener will not charge unless it's put in the cradle in a specific position. If you decide to buy this product, I suggest you watch a video demonstrating its use. The video makes the process much more clear than the product's directions do.
on June 21, 2017
This electric wine opener makes opening bottles easy. The only problem is artificial corks sometimes get stuck, with no easy way to unstick.
on November 28, 2017
My mother and her friends couldn't figure out how to use this! (Without reading instructions) Good product but could be more user friendly.
on May 1, 2017
Great little opener that keeps a charge. Way easier than a traditional corkscrew, it's worked every time for us.
on June 11, 2017
OMG, this is the coolest wine bottle opener! You just hold it on the top of the bottle, press the button, and you're done! It's that easy and it's fun.
on October 30, 2017
No more hastle opening wine bottle with this purchase. So easy to use and works every time.
on September 20, 2016
There is truly nothing better than an electric wine opener. This takes all the elbow grease and guess work out of opening a bottle. In fact, it's SO easy it feels like the cork never leaves the bottle. My only complaint is the life of the battery. I purchased this as a gift, but I have had the same model for a few years and it doesn't seem to be holding a charge very long anymore so I've deducted a star for that.