Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Oster Rechargeable and Cordless Wine Opener with Chiller
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on January 9, 2007
I was surprised as to how well this item actually worked when we opened and started using it. I purchased this as a 'filler' gift for my wife for Christmas. Knowing that it was a gadjety gift I did not have high expecations. We used this for fun and found out how easy it is to use and how cleanly it removes the cork. It opens many bottles on one charge, although we have not yet tried to prove the box statement correct that it opens 30 bottles on one charge.

Good for a person who struggles with conventional wine openers and breaking corks.

The bonus wine chiller is stylish and functional.
11 comment| 234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
We actually originally bought just the wine opener at a department store. As is usual with Amazon, this online price is waaay better than what we paid for the wine opener ALONE...I was told at a dinner party that Amazon had the wine opener for less than what I paid so we went online to order several of these as gifts and found we could get the wine chiller too for less!

Not only do these two wine lovers love the opener, but every time we use it in front of someone they fall in love and want one so it's the perfect gift.

So...we ordered a few with the wine chiller and tried out the wine chiller as well and are equally as impressed! We had a dinner party and ran low on white wine. A fast chill provided by the wine chiller kept the dinner party flowing smoothly.

We had a $150 dollar wine opener that didn't work nearly as impressive and easily as this one did. In fact, a wine opener just like this is still in wine catalogs for over $100. It may even be the same one...that's the first place we saw it.

As for how it works...place it on the bottle, push the button, ZIP...it uncorks it for you.

TO REMOVE THE CORK: (totally easy) you just push the button in reverse and it pops it right out for you to remove it! Anyone who didn't know this trick may not have read that part of the instructions as I could see that trying to remove it otherwise would be difficult. but it's a cinch if you push that reverse button...even easier than removing it from a manual opener!

CONCLUSION: I love to drink wine but hate opening it and have broken enough corks in my day to realize I shouldn't. This is uncorkage 101 at it's finest whether you are a pro opener or as clumsy as me...looks impressive, is a major conversation piece once you use it, works in seconds with no brainpower needed, and the battery charge lasts so long that we even took it on a cruise and uncorked our wine during the whole trip perfectly and still came home and used it for a few weeks without having to recharge!

The wine chiller works just as well as the ones costing hundreds more. We are a lover of Oster and Amazon for this bargain set for our gift giving!! My parents, who have everything, are as hooked as we are on this and now gift it themselves to others.

And, more importantly, we've had it for a year now and it's as good as new. Some more expensive wine openers we've had had more fragile pieces that didn't hold up.

While it's the perfect gift, you'll want to keep it for yourself if you don't yet have one.
88 comments| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2011
I don't know what I can say that others positive reviewers haven't said except that I too have used this corkscrew without fail many times on all different types of corks. I love it, my wife loves it, heck even the dog loves it and he doesn't have thumbs. I don't know what else to say, "it works for me". We keep it plugged in on the counter all the time. We don't even mind the glowing light.

But just in case someone wants to know more about this product and doesn't want to read the hundreds of older positive reviews here's my recent one.

How it works: Step 1 - Select a bottle of your favorite wine. White, red, rose, whatever, the corkscrew does not care. Step 2 - Look at the top of the bottle carefully. Make sure the bottle isn't a screw off cap. If it is, skip Steps 3 thru 5 and go right to step 6. Step 3 - Use the included (and this is important) "manually operated" foil cutter (works better than the other two I have) to remove the foil. And in case you've never removed the foil before, I know it can be a little tricky, but with the bottle sitting on your counter top or some other smooth hard surface (but not your expensive glass table top) place the foil cutter onto the bottle as it's intended, apply a little pressure by squeezing the foil cutter between your thumb and forefinger and, now here's the tricky part, SPIN THE BOTTLE, not the foil cutter and I guarantee it will work every time. Step 4 - Place the corkscrew on top of the bottle. Try not to get so hung up on if you you have it dead center on the cork, but do try to make sure that the corkscrew isn't leaning over one way or the other, and as straight up and down inline with the bottle as possible. If you have already had too much wine and your vision or judgment is impaired get some help or let someone else do it. Again, I recommend leaving the bottle on the same flat surface so you aren't misled in case you are starting to lean one way or the other. Step 5 - With mild downward pressure, press the button that removes the cork. When the corkscrew motor stops running it's finished and the cork should be completely removed from the neck of the bottle. Press the other part of the button to remove the cork form the corkscrew. Step 6 - Get your glass and enjoy your cork-particle-less wine.

I was a little apprehensive my first bottle but after two or three you too will be a pro and wonder why you ever doubted something so simple could make your life so easy. I've used and still own some pretty cool corkscrews including the rabbit type and they all worked as intended. The difference between them and this little gadget is my wife can open wine bottles now too and while that may sound ridicules to some people it wasn't to me. My wife is as intelligent as the next person but she lacks the physical strength to use those other types. Independence is a major building block in any relationship. And hey, I don't mind being served a glass of wine unexpectedly from time to time either. This tool is so simple and works so well that with practice and determination, you could use it with one hand. Imagine what that means to physically challenged persons. I'm just sayin'.........

I highly recommend this tool and it works as others have stated, without question. The chiller is very sleek and works as intended too. I'm a stainless steel freak so both are appreciated in my house. If you are a traditionalist you may not want the set. I keep the chiller in the refrigerator and move it to the freezer hours before using it. It won't keep your wine as cold as the refrigerator but on a warm night it will keep it cooler than not using anything. I recommend the set though because separately, they would cost more.

Please drink responsibly, save some for me.
Rob
on November 7, 2007
I first saw this wine opener at a friend's party and was so amazed by it that I have purchased more than 5 for friends, clients and family. It really does open 30 bottles on one charge and very quickly. What more could one ask for at a party, large or small?
on November 6, 2014
This is so easy to use.... I love it and it looks great on top of my wine rack
review image
on December 7, 2007
I received this as a gift last Christmas. I have used it consistently now and it never fails. It is almost too easy. The trick is to hold the bottle so that it does not move, preferably supported by the counter, and lightly press down with the opener. Once you get the trick it is like slicing a piece of cake. No messed up cork screws just a smooth opener. It takes up very little room on the counter and once charged works for quite a few openings.
on November 12, 2015
Lasted exactly 11 months before the cork screw broke. Used the wine chiller exactly ZERO times.
Nothing extraordinary about cork that broke it. Using a standard cork screw, it came right out. Never used it for more than one bottle at a time before placing it back in the charger. Not sure if it will be replaced with another electric one.
review image
on January 18, 2009
Have had one of these for a couple years now and think it is the best wine opener. Doesn't need to be charged that often.
on December 10, 2013
The plastic casing of the wine opener separates at the seam when opening a bottle. You have to keep the bucket in the freezer to get it cold, there is no room for ice in it. Who has that kind of space in their freezer.
on March 13, 2014
So where to start, this looks great and seems simple. The issue here is sure its something that should work, but doesn't. You put it on top of the cork after you take the foil off the bottle. You still have to put your back into it holding the bottle and the opener to pull the cork out. Now the best part is when you try to remove the cork using the back button it gets jammed in the space and takes forever to get it off the corkscrew. I have found it easier to use a manual cork screw.