Customer Reviews: Oster SH12 12-Inch Skillet with Hinged Lid, Black
4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fall24 fall24 fall24  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

on November 28, 2014
I should have returned this skillet after the first use. I am so disappointed in it. The biggest problem is the temperature control. It just about doesn't exist. The light on the control indicating that the set temperature has been reached never goes out. Yesterday I had the control set to warm and still burned what I was cooking. The hinged lid seemed like a great idea but it does not fit properly and allows steam to escape very quickly. On the plus side, I do like the easy clean up. This will probably end up being donated to some thrift store. It's just taking up space in my cabinet. It's more trouble than it's worth.
on November 3, 2013
Have not used it too often, as of yet. But, it has worked very well. seems to cook evenly. I thought the hinge for the lid might be a problem, but it also works well. Would have liked the lid to be a little taller, but hasn't really been an issue. Recommend it!! Didn't give it a 5, since don't know long term use..
on March 22, 2013
I love this electric skillet and use it all the time to pan grill chicken tenders, pork loin chops and make breakfast pancakes.
It is so much easier to use than one of the indoor "grills" and so easy to clean. My only dislike is the burner element seems
to be only 1 round meat doesn't brown as quick or as much if it's not right on the circle....but I have learned how
to move it around to get it only evenly browned. In summer I use our outside gas grill, but this is my grill for chicken and pork in the winter months/bad weather.
on August 28, 2015
When i see the mail man outside of my house i was very excited lol yeah just like little kids! I went very fast outside and bring the box inside, opened right away.

Amazing electric skillet. You can cook whatever you want to eat and your food doesnt stay in the pan just like other pans! Best purchased i ever had. I love the glass lid because you can see your food without having to lift the lid, pretty amazing skillet but the bad part is the that lid was a little bit off, when i opened the lid, the whole lid was moving, so you guys need to tight the lid more! In my opinion, i dont know if other people have the same thing. But is a great quality skillet!
on June 11, 2014
This is probably the 6th skillet we have bought with the hinged lid.
If only they could make the non-stick surface last longer and the heating more even we wouldn't go through so many.
I've bought other brands and swapped the handles and lid to retain the hinged lid but nobody makes a pan that holds up for more than a couple years when used daily.
As usual the heating is un-even and on this one the control setting is off on the low side, meaning the pan temp is 25-30 degrees higher than the setting, usually the opposite happens with the pan temp being lower.
I love the hinged lid though, no more dripping all over the counter when you stir or serve your food!
Being right handed though, I always switch the handles so the lid opens to the left.
on December 16, 2012
I had one of the oldest electric skillets around and I only used it once a year. With this one I use it more often and like the way it cooks without much oil or butter to grease it. The hinged lid is great because you don't have to take if off to stir the food. The size is perfect and holds a lot of food.
on September 18, 2010
I recently needed to replace an old electric skillet of mine.

This Oster looked on first inspection to fit the bill.

However, the cord is VERY short. So short that I was unable to use it on my kitchen island. (outlet is on the side)

I moved the skillet to my countertop and plugged it into the wall outlet. But then the hinged lid bumped into the bottom of my cabinets.

Unfortunately, I threw out the packaging and receipt and consequently had to just give away a brand-new appliance. :(

I ended up buying a Hamilton Beach 38540 16-inch Step Up Skillet, Blackand couldn't be happier. It was bigger and more expensive, and didn't have a hinged lid, yet it does have a heavier and longer cord and also has the clipped lid that allows for pouring off liquids. I love it.

So, I suppose it's a happy ending after all!
on November 27, 2011
I bought this skillet after my last one finally gave out after 15 years. This one is not nearly as heavy, the cord is very short, and it does not heat evenly. Making pancakes leaves one side almost burned and the other side not quite done. I also do not like the teflon coating on it. It doesn't clean up well, even the nonstick spray (Pam) sticks and sometimes burns a little even at 350. Save your money and buy one that is heavier and a better quality.
on October 1, 2012
I wanted a small electric pan to cook a few foods on! This works great for a couple of burgers and rolls! We use it outside to eliminate messy grease and smoke in the is easy to clean and cooks quickly! Great value for the price, love it!
I would certainly recommend it!
on February 16, 2012
This is a basic aluminum electric fry pan with a non-stick coating. It's sturdy and works the way it should. The hinged lid is convenient as you don't have to find a place to set it down when you want the lid open for a moment, yet the lid is easy to remove when it's not needed. The only fault I've found is that the cord is only 26" long and limits where I can use the pan.