Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop now HTL17_gno

on September 29, 2017
An alternative take on the Anne Boleyn story with great emphasis on the scurrility, scandal and cynicism of Henry VIII's court and the intelligent if relentlessly ambitious Anne. Her sister Mary, the narrator, comes across as passive and compliant but more likeable. Not quite sure how this novel came to be such a success. The writing is often sloppy, there is endless repetition of the book's main themes and an unnerving misuse of 'I'and 'me': surely the Tudor court would have known the difference? Its faults notwithstanding it is a good yarn, a possible interpretation of a tumultuous time for England and many historical details, if not imagined, are interesting. Poor cousin to Mantel's superb version.
on September 23, 2016
I love anything by Phillipa Gregory! I love the way she makes History breathe. I know it is Historical fiction and she did phenomenal amounts of research before she "fleshed it out", though she makes the characters so life like. It is very easy to disappear into this book and feel as if you are watching all of the excitement at English court. Gotta get 'em all! I have 5 in this series.
on February 4, 2017
I really enjoyed the story of Mary Boleyn, "other Boleyn girl," The author presents the Boleyns' story with a wealth of detail and it seems to be well researched. I learned a great deal about the reign of King Henry VIII and his court and was sad to learn how women (and men) were used as political pawns. The elite of that era had many privileges and were fortunate to live extremely well compared to the "common folk", but it came with the price of their personal liberty and ability to forge their own destinies. The story of how the Boleyn family, especially Mary and her more famous sister, Ann, both prospered and suffered is well woth reading. .
on October 11, 2016
I have read the Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory once before, but this time I read it with new eyes. First off, I love anything by Phillipa Gregory because she is a true historian (from costumes to the weather and geography) and marvel at her work. As an author of historical novels, I can see she has done her homework and in-depth characterization, Henry VIII would have his own page in the DSM-V today. It's hard to imagine that any woman (now or then) would want to be associated with him, but of course, then, women did what they were told to do. Too bad that he destroyed both Boleyn sisters and rewrote history. I do believe that the Inquisition took off because of him.
on September 13, 2016
This is truly one of my favorite books. It is the one that got me so interested in the Tudor history and I can't tell you how many times I have read it. Originally I had a paperback copy and I read that until it fell apart which is when I got the Ebook. I love the words that she uses to describe all of the scenery and makes you feel like you are there. You can almost personally feel the jealousy, hatred, love and horror that Mary feels towards Anne sometimes. From her stealing her son to the sadness she feels when her sister and brother are beheaded. It is the ultimate story of what people will do to succeed and to survive. Give this books a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.
on July 18, 2017
I've read "Other Boleyn Girl" before, but after seeing "The Tudors" and other shows, this is the one that sets the standard! Unforgettable character studies wrapped in intrigue and passion and a story you can't put down!
on July 20, 2016
I had previously read this book several years ago and recently decided that I would like to own a copy in my library. I have always been fascinated by the history of the English throne, the story of the kings, queens, etc. A few years ago, the movie came out with Eric Bana and the book received a lot of attention, however and as always, the book is exponentially better than any movie could ever be. This is a wonderful tale of a king an d his quest to have an heir to the throne and is consistently met with disappointment when he is unable to have sons, but daughters instead. This book is full of mystery, betrayal, love and passion. It is a wonderful read and highly recommended.
on August 1, 2017
This story was excellently presented through engaging characters. I enjoyed how the first person account relayed such a fascinating and dark turning point in history. The new future of England would impact so many.
on March 15, 2015
I enjoyed reading this well-crafted story. It's historical fiction, not a biography. Some reviewers take issue with the book for historical inaccuracies, which doesn't alter the fact that the author sweeps you up into a fantastic story which still fascinates people today. If you're looking for an historical analysis, buy a history book and hope that the author is readable; and, I'm still willing to bet that a lot of people will criticize that history book. Buy this book if you want to immerse yourself into a story that makes you understand what a horrible idea "absolute power" is, and how ruthless "ambition" can make you. It's quite ironic that Henry VIII wanted a male heir at any cost, and what a cost it was! Henry did provide an heir that is arguably the greatest monarch that England ever produced, Elizabeth I. A female. I bet Henry is still tossing in his grave over that.
on April 25, 2017
Seriously one of the best books I've ever read (and, I've read a lot). I pretty much love anything that Philippa Gregory has written. If only history had been this much fun when we were in school!