- Size (LWH): 7 inches, 5 inches, 1 inches
OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPod touch 4G - Purple
This item at this price, sold by Amazon.com, is currently reserved exclusively for Prime members.Try Prime for free
Prime free trial and invitee customers: We will automatically apply an Amazon.com Gift Card to your Gift Card Balance in the amount equal to the Prime exclusive discount after you become a paid Prime member. If you cancel your paid Prime membership or return the qualifying smartphone within the first 3 months of your paid Prime membership, we may void your Gift Card or charge you in the amount of the Gift Card. Terms and Conditions apply.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Three layers of protection
- Complete interaction of the devices functions
- Built-in screen Protector
- Fits iPod touch 4G
- Slim-fit, 3-layer design provides unmatched protection against bumps, shocks & drops
- Patented thin membrane covers touchscreen, while still allowing full usability
- Allows user to sync & charge device through case via convenient silicone plate
- Not intended for protection against water
Top Customer Reviews
I loved the Otterbox I got for my wife's Blackberry, which would have been toast by now without its protection, so I decided to give this a try to protect my new iPod. Purchased directly from Otterbox (used 10% off coupon). Extremely fast delivery (2 days).
- AWESOME protection. This thing is made to take a beating more than any other case I've seen
- Nice screen cover. Anti-glare, but doesn't have too much sparkling/diffraction effect. Also easy to wipe down. Can't comment on durability yet, but seems good so far. No problems at all using the interface through the screen.
- Buttons are still easy to use (volume requires some force to press, but nothing bad)
- Very good grip - much easier to hold than the plain iPod without a case (though the Belkin I had was also very good in this regard, as are most silicone cases)
- Looks nice, very clean appearance
- The silicone outside fits nice and tightly over the hard inner shell
- Pretty bulky - turns your nifty thin iPod touch into the size of an iPod classic. Still, not too bad for the level of protection it provides
- Raised edges around the screen make it harder to use the interface, especially for some games and trying to type when in vertical/portrait orientation. I even fail to unlock it with the slide gesture fairly often (but then again, I have large fingers)
- Some uncovered parts, including the Apple logo on the back.Read more ›
As others have mentioned, the sync port and headphone dock flaps on the bottom are more difficult to get to stay in, and flop out easier, which is frustrating enough to almost give this 4 stars instead of 5, but that would be unfair to other people looking to compare this great case to other lesser cases. The 2G/3G version of this case completely covered the iPod and stayed covered unless you deliberately opened the port flaps. This case has 4 unprotected holes: for both cameras (front and back), for light sensor, and for the speaker (next to the ports). Not sure how I feel about that. Will probably let more dust/dirt in, and the new hard plastic case is much harder to take off than the previous one for cleaning.
On the plus side, the new protective screen exhibits no oilslicking like the old one did (see talcum powder workarounds for that on the old one), but the new one has already picked up a few light fingernail marks from my relatives playing angry birds on it.
The pad for the power button does make it easier to press, but the volume pads require substantially more force.
I've had it now for a bit under a week, and it's still a wonderful case, like the previous gen version, with the above caveats. 4 stars comparatively, 5 stars compared to other cases.Read more ›
For those of you who have never seen one, the case consists of two layers. The first is a two piece hard shell that snaps around the Ipod. Be sure to get it to snap down on all sides. The top has a built in screen protector, I was worried about how this would affect the feel of the Ipod but it does not seem to be an issue for my kids. It does have just a tiny bit more "drag" (the coefficient of sliding friction is a little higher for my fellow geeks) than the glass surface of the Ipod, but they quickly got used to that difference.
The second part is a silicone skin that fits around the hard shell. If the skin does not appear to be fitting correctly then you do not have the hard shell snapped down fully. The two flaps on the bottom fit into the jack and the charging slot, these are the weakest part of the design as far as I am concerned. It takes a little finesse to get them to stay correctly as the silicone "plug" part that fits in needs to be put in at sort of an angle.
The silicone skin actually makes operating the volume and on/off buttons easier, as they stick up more, although slightly more force is needed to operate them. The case defiantly adds a little bulk to the Ipod, but this is not a bad thing as it is much easier to hold. The extra width though, means that a lot of docking products will not work with the case on. You can, however, plug in the charging cable that comes with the Ipod without removing the case.
From a physics point of view the case design makes sense.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Durable... Bought for my husband who loves it. I'm not the biggest fan, as I feel the unbuffed edge seam a bit. My husband says it's how it should be, but don't think so. Read morePublished 27 days ago by AMP
This case was expensive, but it has held up to abuse that most cases wouldn't have. (think teething child). Read morePublished 1 month ago by billy bigguns
Nothing better than an Otterbox. I dropped my device many times and it never got a scratch with the protection of an otterbox.Published 2 months ago by Michael
Definitely a good brand that makes good high quality cases. More expensive but the quality is well worth it. Especially when it comes to protecting your iPhone. Thank you!Published 2 months ago by Angie
Personally I prefer the griffin heavy duty survivor cases for my iPod touchPublished 2 months ago by Drew
Thing holds up like a champ and can sustain lots of abuse. Protects ipod very well.Published 2 months ago by Jason T. Miller
Otterbox is my favorite brand of protection for my electronics but for some reason, this particular Otterbox didn't hold up as well as my previous Otterboxes have. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Amanda P.