OtterBox Defender Series for Original iPad (Black)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Highly protective case in black for the Apple iPad first generation (NOT COMPATIBLE with the iPad 2)
- Innovative three layer design protects your smartphone from bumps, drops, scratches and dust
- Silicone skin wraps around it all to absorb shock; thermal-formed sheet covers your screen and keys
- Built-in stand for viewing convenience; snap-off access for optional iPad dock
- Not tested or recommended for water protection; backed by 1-year warranty
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare to similar items
This item OtterBox Defender Series for Original iPad (Black)
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||—||Amazon.com||Orzly Store||LH ENTERPRISES||SMF Cellular||Soldanza Wholesale|
|Compatible Devices||ipad||apple-ipad-4, apple-ipad-3, apple-ipad-2||ipad||apple-ipad-air-2, apple-ipad-4, apple-ipad-3||Tablet||Tablet|
|Compatible Phone Models||—||Apple iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4||Apple iPad 1||Apple iPad Air (iPad 5)||Ipad Air||ipad2/3/5|
|Enclosure Material||Silicone||Plastic||—||Synthetic Rubber||Hard||Polycarbonate|
Drop-proof your magical, new must-have gadget with the OtterBox Defender Series for Apple iPad! This cutting-edge case incorporates three layers of hardcore protection plus some advanced features. Stowing your iPad away for the night or for your commute? Simply remove the back polycarbonate cover and snap it over the face for ultimate touch screen protection. The built-in stand will come in handy while trying to watch a movie or video, and creates a comfortable browsing experience. When using your iPad on a flat surface, the silicone grip pads on the bottom will hold your device securely in place. We also designed this case to accommodate the optional iPad dock accessory! Take your iPad everywhere you go knowing that it is safe from the occasional drop, bump and/or scratch.
Drop-proof your magical Apple iPad with this OtterBox Defender Series case. This cutting-edge case incorporates three layers of hardcore protection plus some advanced features. Stowing your iPad away for the night or for your commute? Simply remove the back polycarbonate cover and snap it over the face for ultimate touch screen protection.
The built-in stand will come in handy while trying to watch a movie or video, and creates a comfortable browsing experience. When using your iPad on a flat surface, the silicone grip pads on the bottom will hold your device securely in place. We also designed this case to accommodate the optional iPad dock accessory. Take your iPad everywhere you go knowing that it is safe from the occasional drop, bump and/or scratch.
Three Layers of Protection
- Layer 1: Self-adhering clear protective film
- Layer 2: Hi-impact polycarbonate shell
- Layer 3: Durable silicone skin
- Complete interaction of the iPad's functions
- Built-in stand for viewing convenience
- Bottom silicone grip pads keep your iPad in place
- Silicone plugs provide coverage for all ports
- Snap-off access for optional iPad dock
- Weight with shield: 20.7 ounces
- Weight without shield: 13.6 ounces
This case provides added protection against bump, shock, drop and dust intrusion. Case is not protective against water.See all Product description
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. Made of Heavy Plastic and Silicone. Suede gets stained, leather gets worn, and elastic snaps... but Otterbox has none of these materials. The silicone is rubbery and confortable in your hands. It gives you a good grip, and alongside the heavy plastic, it gives your iPad serious protection. IT IS NOT SUPER HEAVY LIKE SOME REVIEWERS SAY!
2. Comes with Screen Protector. This can cost obscene amounts of money when added to another cover's purchase price; instead, it is a part of the Otterbox package. I've seen reviews saying the company of Otterbox will replace a screen protector if you screw up its installation, too, so don't worry that there is only one. It's not hard to install, though. Just make sure you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Memorize them before you start them, and don't let a man do it and assume he's read the directions!
3. Comes With Heavy Plastic Cover. This is great because you DON'T NEED TO BUY A TRAVEL CASE to carry your iPad in. The Defender's cover will protect it inside a backpack or other bag just fine! It is also good to use when storing, so that your screen is in no danger of shattering by falling against something at the wrong angle.
4. Style. It has it.
5. Built-In Stand. It really works, is very sturdy, and you can do a vertical position too if you are careful.
6. Removable Back Thingy. It's great if you have a dock. If you don't, though, don't worry. THE BACK COVER IS NOT HARD TO REMOVE. Just practice pushing it off with the Otterbox facedown until you have the hang of it. You can even charge the iPad while it is standing, with the cord coming off the side.
7. Rubbery Bottom. Set this thing down on a hard surface, and it won't move around.
8. Price. Very worth it to protect a $500+ item. Plus, it saves you money on buying screen protectors, covers, cases, stands, and even a dock! Not to mention this case is $30 cheaper to buy on Amazon than at the Otterbox site itself.
9. Ease of Installation. Just read, reread, and follow the directions; be careful, and you will be fine. Honest. As for taking the case off, after assembling it I feel that disassembly will not be as complicated as so many people think. Plus, you don't want a case that's easy to disassemble, do you? If it fell wrong, it would just fall apart!
Additionally, if you are worried about having your iPad stand at more angles, I'd suggest purchasing a BookGem adjustable stand. It works great with the iPad even with the cover on, and is cheap and versatile. You can look them up on Amazon and eBay. The BookGem and iPad were made for each other!
I love this case! The Otterbox Defender is definitely the way to go. Take it from me, an average, close-to-broke, twenty-year old chick who's all but lost in this maze of reviews... you will love this buy!
I take my reviews seriously and in no way fabricate any claims that I make. I hope the information I have given helps you in some way. [...] This helps the legitimacy of reviews. It is important that I mention that I have received this item for a discount in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. The sellers ask only that I give my honest opinion and neither require nor reward positive feedback, nor punish negative feedback. I received no financial compensation for this review. Please note that if this review is labeled “verified purchase,” the item came from Amazon stock and you can be assured that what I received is representative of what you will receive when you order from this listing. I hope you found this review helpful. Thank you!!
I traded in one ipad and know all too well how fragile the aluminum backing is, with this case on I actually feel secure carrying around the iPad in public. I tote it around in a satchel to job sites and don't worry about bumps or scratches anymore. The snap on screen cover and stand piece is made out of very durable plastic with a rough texture, while the rest is made from abs plastic that is then covered by a nice feeling silicone skin. The texture of the skin is almost like a velvet, as my girlfriend described it.
Would the case prevent damage from a fall? Yes, definitely.
You're looking at no damage vs major deforming and marring of the aluminum with even small bangs or drops. I would say that the case also adds structural rigidity, which most likely will help prevent any screen damage from torsion in a fall.
Also, people have had issue with removing the panel for charging. My case came with a little circular clear plastic sticker on on the protruding part of the pressure latch which most likely is in place to help ease of removal. It was a cheap fix, but from the consumers end, it has worked well... The hatch is both secure when in place yet still very easy to remove with a normal degree of pressure.
All in all this case gets a 5 out of 5 stars from me. I couldn't see protecting my new toy in anything else.