Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Color: Green|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,447 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,541 reviews
on November 30, 2016
My son wanted this Otterbox IPod case for a very long time. I purchased this one for him as a gift. The price was right so I added it to his box of Christmas goodies. As soon as he receives it, I will update my review.
UPDATE: 12/28/16 - It fits his IPod perfectly. All the buttons and cutouts match perfectly and it the tempered glass screen protector he has on the IPod does not affect the way the case fits or how it functions with two screen protectors on it. The flexible rubberized covers for the charging ports open and close easily. The textured rubberized case makes it easy to hold with minimal slipping to avoid dropping the device. Overall, this case was a great purchase and my son really likes it.
All of my product reviews are based on my own or my families’ personal experiences and are honest and fair. I appreciate you taking the time to read my review and please select the appropriate button if you found this review helpful or not and leave any comments which may help me write a better review for consumers such as yourself.
review image review image
on May 19, 2014
This is thin and light. Our son has dropped his ipod several times and it is completely safe! I only let him take this to school because of the case.
on January 8, 2017
My 6 year old daughter got an iPod for Christmas, and I wanted the most protective case possible. This is it! It's very heavy duty, and includes a built in screen protector and wrist strap that attaches to the side. I can let her take the iPod out of the house with confidence. Don't cheap out and buy a rubber case that doesn't protect against drops. Pay a little more and get this.
review image
on February 26, 2013
===REVIEW EDIT/UPDATE HISTORY===
2/26/13 - Watermark Fix
4/08/13 - Quality Issues Update
6/20/13 - Review Organization Update

Updates to this review can be found at the very end. I intend to update my review regularly in an effort to help others make the best decision.

===DESIGN & FUNCTION===
After opening the packaging, to my surprise, the Otterbox felt a lot cheaper and lighter then I expected. In fact, I was rather disappointed with the seemingly cheap material.
However, after I installed my iPod, the case felt much better, and not quite so flimsy. The silicon felt nice to touch and fortunately was not a lint/dust magnet. The plastic looked much better when the case was fully applied as well.
The case feels very durable and true to the Otterbox slogan, it very much "inspires confidence."
The design is also nice, although those who love the iTouch's thin design may disgree with me. I feel that it adds some welcome bulk to the iTouch, making it feel much more like an iPhone 5. The added bulk gives a sense of strength and durability, and I definitely feel like the case can fully protect my iPod when dropped or crushed.
Even better, the Otterbox covers up the Apple Loop button on the back of the iPod touch, something most cases don't offer. I don't have much use for the loop, and it's annoying to me how everyone who sees it wants to give it a press. Now since it's covered up nicely.
I chose the Coal version, and coupled with my black iTouch, makes it seem like a stealth plane. Love it.

===WORD OF CAUTION:===
Always install in a dust-free room!
After I installed mine, I noticed dust and lint particles trapped under the screen protector. These particles are really annoying. I ended up removing the case several times to clean it. Which brings me to my next point... it is extremely difficult to remove the case. It took me near a solid 5-8 minutes struggling to remove the case with the iPod in it. The silicon can be easily removed, but the hard plastic shell underneath with the safety locks is very hard to pry open. The safety clips make it quite a struggle to remove the case, which is also a good thing, as you know the case is built very well and will definitely protect your iPod when the case makes impact with the ground. However, this does prevent a hassle when you actually want to remove the case to, say, clean the iPod.
If you ever need to remove the case, I'd recommend you be careful and do it over something soft, like a couch or bed, so the iPod doesn't fly out and make a suicide jump towards the ground.

===THE "WATERMARK" (PROBLEMS/CONS)===
You may also experience the infamous watermark (rainbow-effect issue), like I did. A lot of people don't actually know this term, so I'll explain it here.
Watermarking is not actually moisture or water in the case, but is actually light refracted as it passes through the transparent built-in screen protector. The result is a rainbow "blob" that looks unsightly on the screen. The effect can be seen whether the screen is on or off and is especially noticeable when the screen is off or white. I already have a TechArmor screen protector on my iPod in an attempt to mitigate the watermark effect, but to no avail. Those who are very picky with screen quality and those who are OCD may be very annoyed with this issue.
However, I've found a fix. All you need to do is spray the built in screen protector with some eye glasses cleaning solution and wipe it down with an oil-free (meaning it must be clean) microfiber cloth. Then immediately apply the screen protector and the problem should resolve itself. You can also try washing the screen protector with soap and water, which I've found to also work.

===CONCLUSION===
The Otterbox is still one of the best choices for ultimate protection of your device. It is unmatched in this regard, even when compared to the Griffin Survivor case or cheaper knockoffs (such as the ones made by i-Blason).
However, the Otterbox does suffer from a few minor ergonomic issues and that troublesome watermark, which may make some think twice before purchasing this case. I however, would definitely recommend this case to you, especially if you love to keep your electronics in pristine shape.

===UPDATES===

(4/8/13)
After less than 2 months of living with the Otterbox, I am generally pleased with its performance. I have dropped my iPod several times on hard floors, and my iPod suffered not even a scratch. In fact, my iPod looks exactly like when I first opened it.
However, I do have a few complaints.
First off, the silicon coverings over the Power On/Off and volume buttons can be easily "scratched." The black silicon coverings are now full of white marks from my nails pushing down on them from everyday use. Before I go any further, I'd like to note the reason I've grown to use my nails to push down on the buttons is because the Otterbox button coverings are quite thick and don't sit directly against the iPod's buttons, and simply pushing them down with your finger often doesn't register a response. In case you're put off by the thick coverings, I'm going to add that it feels quite normal, and you definitely will barely notice it. Now I'm just a normal guy with generally clean, clipped nails, and I don't do anything ridiculous with the buttons, just press them normally as anyone else would. Thus, I'm a little disappointed to see signs of wear on the button coverings already.
Secondly, I've come to realize that despite being advertised as "dust-proof," the Defender is actually quite prone to dust if you are in a high-dust area. If you're in a dusty environment, gunk may easily drift through the small openings in the partially covered headphone jack and lightning connector ports, and it will slowly build up behind the screen protector. You will eventually get to the point when a cleaning is necessary. You can easily mitigate this by simply popping out the built-in screen protector and add something like an InvisibileShield to the iPod itself. I've seen a few reviewers here that have already done this, though I haven't done it yet - not sure if it is necessary for me.

~~~~

I still firmly believe I made a good decision in buying this case. While it may not have showstopper looks, it protects my iTouch akin to a suit of armor, and at the end of the day, that's what a case is for.

Thanks for reading!
If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a comment. I'll be happy to help if you have any questions.
1515 comments| 263 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2017
Although I love my iPod Touch, I am not much of a fan of the super thin trend as I find it hard to hold onto the thinner phones (and this Touch). After dropping the Touch half a dozen times, I thought that a case would be a good way to both protect the Touch and make it easier to hold. Since I like the Otterbox on my Note 5 so much, I thought I'd try it for the Touch. This is another great product.

On the plus side, the dual case system is really, really solid, with great fit and finish, and superb attention to detail. All of the cutouts are positioned exactly right, the buttons are just a tiny bit harder to push (which is a plus as it prevents accidental presses). I also liked the screen protector built into the inner half of the case system. It provides decent protection from scratches, and still provides good touch and feel with the screen. Most importantly for me, this makes the iPod much easier to hold, with a nice, slightly rubbery feel. I haven't dropped the iPod once wince I got it, but I know it will provide great protection if I do drop it again.

The only real negative I can find with the case is that it seems to allow a bit more dust between the screen protector and the Touch screen, although it isn't horrible.. I'd buy Otterbox for any device I own, and on balance, I think this was the perfect case for my iPod Touch.
on March 10, 2015
I like the case a lot but i have one complaint, there is just a tiny bit of space between the iPod screen, and the protector screen, which makes it slightly less responsive. I would not recommend using a touch pen with this case as it won't be very responsive, even when using a high quality one, but its ok with just your fingers.
Over all its a good case and very protective, also its has a loop to put around your wrist, (I have it hanging out of my pocket as it makes it easier to pull out) the loop is fully removable which is nice, and the case looks good, and is grippy to the feel.
Also this case is slightly overpriced as 30$ is too expensive, i would say it should be 20$-25$.
Good Case
review image
on July 10, 2016
My iPod has been dropped many times but this OtterBox case has protected it so well. It has a tight fit on it when you're trying to close the white plastic, but the gray rubber layer seals in nicely.

A big plus for me is the built-in screen protector that's attached to the white plastic. I already had a screen protector, but an extra layer never hurts. Now, I can't ever imagine buying a case without one already built in. I also like that it comes with a lanyard so you can prevent it from falling out of your hand. That's like.. protection before it even needs protection ;).

The areas left open are... a tiny hole near the power button, the camera holes (front and rear), and the speaker on the bottom. The charging and headphone ports are closed only because there are flaps that you can open when you need to. The circle in the back that outlines the Apple logo is protected by a transparent layer of plastic.

I've never had a problem with inserting headphones.

I bought this a few years ago and it's held up well. The rubber is starting to wear out just a little bit (but it's hardly worth mentioning compared to how much the iPod has been used and the case has been tested), and so one of my bottom corners just barely a little loose now. Keep in mind it's constantly being used by a toddler who will sometimes drop it, or get sticky finger smudges on it. I just pick it up or wipe it off, worry-free.

I don't even think twice about my iPod when it falls.
Nothing beats this case.
review image review image
on January 17, 2017
This is my third OtterBox Defender case and it is great. I am confident that this case will last as long and protect my iPod just as well as the other two cases did and one of those if now seven years old!
Some of my friends try to mock the styling of the case but it is a case of function over style and guess what? Half of the time those friends a using phones or iPods with smashed screens and when they don't have a smashed screen, they cannot get the charger cable to work because the connector is full of fluff.
The only better way to protect your device is to leave it in the original box in a drawer.
on March 29, 2014
This case is amazing! I dropped my iPod down cement stairs by accident with this case on it. Nor the case or iPod was damaged
I was going to order this case from eBay, but then I started reading about all the fake cases being sold by people from China. When I went to eBay, they even have people selling colors of this case that the company doesn't offer on its website. That's a big enough reason to buy the case at Amazon.

The case is well constructed, but the instructions won't help you. It's better to go to YouTube and follow the video that shows how to put your iPod Touch (5G) into the case. The video is easy to follow and far better than the instructions that come with the unit.

Everything lines up well and the unit is well-constructed.

However, there are two small problems. First, the covers for the lightning charger port and the earphone port seem like they will break off after you bend them to open and close them during the course of a few months.

Second, the screen cover has a minor design flaw. When you put your iPod Touch into the case and then seal the case shut, there are these small rainbows that develop where the screen cover semi-adheres to the touchscreen. This is not a problem with the screen having oil from fingerprints or anything else on it because I was very careful not to touch the screen when I transferred the unit from its Apple packaging into the OtterBox case. Other reviewers have also commented about this problem. As long as you are looking directly at the screen, it's not a problem. But if you look at the screen from a slightly off-center position, then the rainbows become noticeable and annoying.

One thing I wish is that OtterBox offered this model without the screen protector. Yes, that makes it a little more susceptible to water damage, but you'll find that there is a little bit of a lag in the touchscreen sensitivity when you have to touch the OtterBox's screen protector.

One really nice thing about this case is that it comes with a lanyard. It's pretty useful to have it, especially if you are buying it for a little kid or someone who is a bit clumsy.