Otterbox APL4-iPAD1-20-C4OTR iPad Commuter Series Case
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Slick protective case in black for the Apple iPad
- Combines rugged elements from the Defender Series with the thin silicone skin from the Impact Series
- One-piece custom molded polycarbonate shell; durable silicone mid-layer; self-adhering clear protective film
- Access to all buttons and features; silicone plugs provide coverage for ports
- Backed by 1-year warranty; not tested or recommended for water protection
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare to similar items
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||—||Amazon.com||SMF Cellular||HDE||Berry's Deals||AxiaMarka|
|Compatible Devices||ipad||apple-ipad-air-2, apple-ipad-4, apple-ipad-3||Tablet||ipad||apple-ipad-air||ipad|
|Compatible Phone Models||—||Apple iPad Air (iPad 5)||Ipad Air||—||Apple iPad Air (iPad 5)||—|
|Enclosure Material||Silicone||Synthetic Rubber||Hard||Other||Synthetic Rubber||Polycarbonate|
Ipad Commuter case
The slim and attractive OtterBox Commuter Series for Apple iPad offers protection from everyday mishaps. Enjoy full access to all buttons, ports and features, along with snap-off access for your optional iPad dock. Also included with the case is a self-adhering protective film for your touch screen to safeguard against unsightly scratches and dings. This innovative OtterBox case will increase your peace of mind while keeping your iPad as fabulous as the day you bought it.
The Commuter case provides added protection against bump and shock with its three layers of protection:
- Layer 1: Self-adhering clear protective film (cleaning cloth and installation card included)
- Layer 2: Durable silicone mid-layer
- Layer 3: One piece custom molded polycarbonate shell
Features & Specifications
- Access to all buttons and ports via silicone plugs
- Exposed silicone corners dissipate impact away from your device with added bump and shock protection
- Sleek, stylish design
- Access to all buttons and ports via silicone plugs
- Clear membrane protects Apple logo
- Removable dock door (dock not included)
- Weight: 7.2 ounces
What's in the Box
Commuter case, self-adhering clear protective film, microfiber cleaning cloth, and installation card.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. Made of Heavy Plastic and Silicone. Suede gets stained, leather gets worn, and elastic snaps... but Otterbox has none of these materials. The silicone is rubbery and confortable in your hands. It gives you a good grip, and alongside the heavy plastic, it gives your iPad serious protection. IT IS NOT SUPER HEAVY LIKE SOME REVIEWERS SAY!
2. Comes with Screen Protector. This can cost obscene amounts of money when added to another cover's purchase price; instead, it is a part of the Otterbox package. I've seen reviews saying the company of Otterbox will replace a screen protector if you screw up its installation, too, so don't worry that there is only one. It's not hard to install, though. Just make sure you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Memorize them before you start them, and don't let a man do it and assume he's read the directions!
3. Comes With Heavy Plastic Cover. This is great because you DON'T NEED TO BUY A TRAVEL CASE to carry your iPad in. The Defender's cover will protect it inside a backpack or other bag just fine! It is also good to use when storing, so that your screen is in no danger of shattering by falling against something at the wrong angle.
4. Style. It has it.
5. Built-In Stand. It really works, is very sturdy, and you can do a vertical position too if you are careful.
6. Removable Back Thingy. It's great if you have a dock. If you don't, though, don't worry. THE BACK COVER IS NOT HARD TO REMOVE. Just practice pushing it off with the Otterbox facedown until you have the hang of it. You can even charge the iPad while it is standing, with the cord coming off the side.
7. Rubbery Bottom. Set this thing down on a hard surface, and it won't move around.
8. Price. Very worth it to protect a $500+ item. Plus, it saves you money on buying screen protectors, covers, cases, stands, and even a dock! Not to mention this case is $30 cheaper to buy on Amazon than at the Otterbox site itself.
9. Ease of Installation. Just read, reread, and follow the directions; be careful, and you will be fine. Honest. As for taking the case off, after assembling it I feel that disassembly will not be as complicated as so many people think. Plus, you don't want a case that's easy to disassemble, do you? If it fell wrong, it would just fall apart!
Additionally, if you are worried about having your iPad stand at more angles, I'd suggest purchasing a BookGem adjustable stand. It works great with the iPad even with the cover on, and is cheap and versatile. You can look them up on Amazon and eBay. The BookGem and iPad were made for each other!
I love this case! The Otterbox Defender is definitely the way to go. Take it from me, an average, close-to-broke, twenty-year old chick who's all but lost in this maze of reviews... you will love this buy!
I take my reviews seriously and in no way fabricate any claims that I make. I hope the information I have given helps you in some way. [...] This helps the legitimacy of reviews. It is important that I mention that I have received this item for a discount in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. The sellers ask only that I give my honest opinion and neither require nor reward positive feedback, nor punish negative feedback. I received no financial compensation for this review. Please note that if this review is labeled “verified purchase,” the item came from Amazon stock and you can be assured that what I received is representative of what you will receive when you order from this listing. I hope you found this review helpful. Thank you!!
I traded in one ipad and know all too well how fragile the aluminum backing is, with this case on I actually feel secure carrying around the iPad in public. I tote it around in a satchel to job sites and don't worry about bumps or scratches anymore. The snap on screen cover and stand piece is made out of very durable plastic with a rough texture, while the rest is made from abs plastic that is then covered by a nice feeling silicone skin. The texture of the skin is almost like a velvet, as my girlfriend described it.
Would the case prevent damage from a fall? Yes, definitely.
You're looking at no damage vs major deforming and marring of the aluminum with even small bangs or drops. I would say that the case also adds structural rigidity, which most likely will help prevent any screen damage from torsion in a fall.
Also, people have had issue with removing the panel for charging. My case came with a little circular clear plastic sticker on on the protruding part of the pressure latch which most likely is in place to help ease of removal. It was a cheap fix, but from the consumers end, it has worked well... The hatch is both secure when in place yet still very easy to remove with a normal degree of pressure.
All in all this case gets a 5 out of 5 stars from me. I couldn't see protecting my new toy in anything else.