Otterbox APL4-iPAD1-20-C4OTR iPad Commuter Series Case
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Slick protective case in black for the Apple iPad
- Combines rugged elements from the Defender Series with the thin silicone skin from the Impact Series
- One-piece custom molded polycarbonate shell; durable silicone mid-layer; self-adhering clear protective film
- Access to all buttons and features; silicone plugs provide coverage for ports
- Backed by 1-year warranty; not tested or recommended for water protection
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare to similar items
This item Otterbox APL4-iPAD1-20-C4OTR iPad Commuter Series Case
iPad 1 Case, Bastex Folio Synthetic Leather Case Cover with Built-in Stand for Apple iPad 1 1st Generation - Black
OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air - Retail Packaging - Black
G-HUB® - iPad 1 Tablet Case - Protectve Silicone Gel Soft Cover Case for 1st Generation iPad – Black
Gumdrop Cases Droptech for Apple iPad Air Rugged Tablet Case Shock Absorbing Cover Black/Orange A1474, A1475, A1476
Lifeproof Nuud Case for iPad Air (1901-02) - 1st Generation Only
|Shipping||—||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Available from these sellers||Fenix Select||Amazon.com||Orzly Store||Gumdrop Cases||SMF Cellular|
|Compatible Devices||ipad||ipad||apple-ipad-air-2, apple-ipad-4, apple-ipad-3||ipad||Tablet, Tablet||Tablet|
|Compatible Phone Models||—||Apple iPad||Apple iPad Air (iPad 5)||Apple iPad 1||Apple iPad 5||Ipad Air|
|Enclosure Material||Silicone||—||Synthetic Rubber||—||Rubber||Hard|
Ipad Commuter case
The slim and attractive OtterBox Commuter Series for Apple iPad offers protection from everyday mishaps. Enjoy full access to all buttons, ports and features, along with snap-off access for your optional iPad dock. Also included with the case is a self-adhering protective film for your touch screen to safeguard against unsightly scratches and dings. This innovative OtterBox case will increase your peace of mind while keeping your iPad as fabulous as the day you bought it.
The Commuter case provides added protection against bump and shock with its three layers of protection:
- Layer 1: Self-adhering clear protective film (cleaning cloth and installation card included)
- Layer 2: Durable silicone mid-layer
- Layer 3: One piece custom molded polycarbonate shell
Features & Specifications
- Access to all buttons and ports via silicone plugs
- Exposed silicone corners dissipate impact away from your device with added bump and shock protection
- Sleek, stylish design
- Access to all buttons and ports via silicone plugs
- Clear membrane protects Apple logo
- Removable dock door (dock not included)
- Weight: 7.2 ounces
What's in the Box
Commuter case, self-adhering clear protective film, microfiber cleaning cloth, and installation card.
Top customer reviews
1. The sound goes straight out the back. Maybe I'm spoiled by my 'Otterbox Reflex Series Hybrid Case for iPad 2', which has a port/duct to redirect sound forwards instead of out the back of the iPad. This makes a big difference in the car why my daughter is trying to listen to a movie and I'm listening to music. Headphones will solve this, but a port would have been a simple feature to add.
2. My previous 'iPad Commuter Series Case ' seemed like a better design. It still was a 2 layer case, but the hard plastic was on the outside (soft case on inside). With the Defender, the soft case is on the outside. My daughter is always fidgeting with it and pulling it out of the tabs where it fits into the hard plastic. My younger daughter is teething and likes chew on the outside of this case. I would have much preferred to be able to get the Commuter series case in this color, but it's only available in black.
Being thrown down an entire flight of concrete steps. (more than once)
Being thrown out of the shopping cart at ikea. (and at other stores)
Being dropped out of our van onto pavement. (multiple times)
Being spilled on multiple times with multiple different types of liquids.
Being thrown from the top bunk of a triple bunk bed onto the hardwood floor. (more than a handful of times)
Being used as a weapon to hit a sibling with. (do I need to specify that this has happened more than once?)
Being run over my a kids bike. (again, many times)
Being peed on by accident. (Lesson learned- Don't let your night time potty training child go to bed with the iPad.)
Being thrown up on during a car trip. (But it sure cleans up easily!)
Being sat on. (x1000000000000000000000000)
Being stepped on. (x5000000000000000000000)
And a million other times it has been dropped or otherwise.
I finally have to purchase a new one because this last time they threw the iPad, they FINALLY cracked the case. I have had this case for over 9 months now. I am so glad to have this product and recommend it to anyone. But, especially mothers who want to keep their sanity with an expensive gadget and young children in the household.
IMHO it is stylish, rugged and offers excellent hard and soft shell protection at the same time for a somewhat affordable price. Yes, it's heavy especially if you use your ipad as an e-reader a lot as I do in bed. The added weight is almost a deal breaker for me after an hour of reading. In addition, compared to rubber full body skins, this thing is slick on the back and also hard to hold in bed when e-reading. Other than the weight/slickness when e-reading in bed, I have very few negative comments.
Yes, the sliding door to access charging is a little bit of a pain and it would have been nice to simply add a rubber door like other Otter products but that would have made it impossible to put the ipad on any cradle or dock so that's a trade off I will take and a positive in my book. Maybe a sliding door with a smaller rubber port hole as well would be a nice solution for the next model.
If you "commute" in any way shape or form (that includes walking around the house/office or chasing your kids when they take your ipad)with your ipad then this is an excellent option for protection. I can't offer any thoughts on the included screen protection as I had a Zagg screen protector professionally installed on my screen a week after I bought it (worth the extra money and lack of aggravation IMHO). This case does work well with the Zagg product.
All in all, the commuter series is pretty darn good protection with a few minuses but honestly these products are generally about dealing with compromises and in this "case" the compromises are few and the protection is excellent.
The case adds a nice heft to the iPad, but not too much, which makes it easier to grip on either side for extended periods of time, as I tend to do. All of the buttons are covered, but still work with ease, as they did prior to inserting into the case.
When not in use, there is a hard plastic cover for the screen that snaps on easily...and when removed, converts to a nice easel stand for upright use and comfortable viewing of Netflix or something. When used as a stand, it has rubber nubs that keep it from scooting across the counter when pressing the screen.
I am sure I will leave it in the case at all times. There is a white slide panel on the back, that needs to be removed to charge and access the port, which easily slides right back in without struggle.
The aqua colored rubber is formulated just right, as it gives the case the right amount of grip and anti-skid, but is not so sticky that hair and lint will build up. Any that does attract, wipes off easily.
I like the aqua color because it will make my iPad easily visible both at home and away. I won't have to look for it if I should set it down and forget what room I left it in. I would also be less likely to leave it on an airport seat or at some other place I may choose to take it, unless they have aqua seats and tables too.
I was not sure what I was getting, I really like it, and I hope this helps someone else too!