Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 175 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 188 reviews
on March 1, 2011
I purchased this case after having 'issues' with my OtterBox Defender Case. In my opinion, the OtterBox Commuter Case is better than the Defender case for the following reasons:

1. The Defender case is a very protective case. However, it is very bulky. The Commuter is very smooth and sleek. The buttons on the case are very responsive, and the outer plastic cover looks awesome.

2. The built-in screen protector on the Defender case reduces the clarity of the iPod Touch screen. The screen protector that comes with the Commuter maintains the great resolution of the iPod Touch.

3. The flaps on the bottom of the Defender case are very unattractive and made my iPod look sloppy whenever the USB charging cord or headphones were connected. The flaps on the bottom of the Commuter case are sturdier, and actually stay in place most of the time.

4. The large size of the Defender case causes it not to fit in my external speaker system. However, the Commuter case is smaller and thinner, and can be docked in my speaker system.

5. Last but not least, the two color design of the Commuter case makes it more attractive than the Defender.

Overall, if you are willing to accept slightly less protection, the Otterbox Commuter case is a better case than the Defender.
33 comments| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2016
I really liked the unique design for this case because it kept my iPod from looking too bulking. I did have trouble putting the case on, had issues with the silicone not wanting to be squeezed inside on one of the bottom corners. And after time, even though I never dropped my iPod, the red polycarbonate in that corner just snapped off one morning and this was in less than 1 year which was very disappointing.
on March 17, 2012
This is the most amazing iPod case in the world. I swear by it, and I'm about to order a second one.

I flipped my SUV in a violent wreck two days ago. It stopped completely upside-down. Luckily no one was seriously injured, although my vehicle is now totaled.

Long story short, this case was on my iPod touch when it was thrown from my vehicle during the crash. It landed about 20 feet away from my SUV, on the pavement.

My iPod survived! There is a small crack in the plastic corner of the case itself, but otherwise, everything's good! my iPod works perfectly, just as it did before the crash.

If that's not enough of a testimony for ya, I don't know what is. I love this case.

I will put up pics of the minimal damage.
review image review image review image
on March 17, 2012
I had quite the debacle with iPod touch cases. I have the 4th gen. At first I used the Griffin Survivor caseSurvivor Extreme Duty Case and Belt Clip for iPod Touch 4G which worked well less one thing... the headphone port in the case was too deep to allow any L-Shaped phone plugs. This was a problem for me and my nice headphones, so I returned the case to get the Tracker, also by Griffin. This product did not fit the device well. The screen left constant bubbles due to incomplete contact (and don't blame me! I tried 2 of these cases and had the case put on IN BEST BUY to make sure I wasn't screwing up). So I returned that case and then came here to look at otterboxes.

So now we're here. I got this case about a month ago and so far so good. Important to note, unlike the Griffin Cases earlier mentioned, this case DOES NOT have a built in screen protector. The package includes a separate plastic protector that you must install yourself, it isn't hard. The case itself feels great, its already survived plenty of falls, the screen protector doesn't scratch easily, the silicone forms a nice seal against dirt and water (though it is NOT WATERPROOF :P ) and also provides a nice cushion for shock protection, and lastly the hard plastic keeps it all in place. The ports are plenty accessible (Though I don't know if you can dock it on an iHome while encased) and the buttons are entirely functional through the case.

I didn't give 5 stars because it has a separate screen protector which could allow water and dirt to get underneath the case, and the foolish hole in the back to see the Apple logo allows the same. The ports' covers also tend to slip and hang.

My whole case struggle was a debacle, hopefully this summary helped. This is one of the best cases on the market.
on January 17, 2012
For Christmas I purchased an iPod touch for each of my girls. Since they are 11 & 14, the iPods needed some good protection. I've always been impressed with Otterbox products. In this instance, however, the Commuter case for the iPod touch is really not that great. I installed both cases on their devices, and the first thing I noted was how flimsy the hard plastic portion was, and how poorly designed the port covers were at the bottom of the case. I was used to the Defender series cases, so I thought that the flimsiness was just due to the Commuter being a thinner case.

Within three days, the paper thin hard plastic strip along the bottom of the case (where the silly plug covers are), broke right off on my 14 year old's case. I thought "well, things happen." Maybe this is just an isolated manufacturer's defect. Amazon was awesome as always and replaced the case. Five days later I noticed that my 11 year old's case was also broken in the exact same spot. I asked her what happened and she wasn't even aware it was broken.

I just ordered the replacement case for my 11 year old. If either of these cases suffer from the same substandard craftsmanship, I'll be returning both cases and ordering the Speck cases.
on June 13, 2012
Personally I'm not a big fan of cases. They change the shape, size, and feel of the original product. As active as I was with my Zune (yea I owned one) I dropped it often. I've also seen a slew of people with cracked iPhone and iPod screens and thought, "Well why the hell would I want that to happen to me?" So after spending 400$ for an iPod and being as active as I am (running, Gym, e.t.c.) I decided to spring for a case. I wanted something that protected, but wasn't overzealous. So I decided upon this one. It's durable enough that you have peace of mind if you dropped it, but it's not so large you feel like you're running around with a brick either. The silicone is ribbed for "grip" and it functions as such without being ridiculous. The included screen protector was easy to apply and doesn't interfere with the functions of the iPod whatsoever. All in all, with it's broad choice of colors and features, I would strongly recommend this to anyone who wants protection and peace of mind without the brick-like size of most cases.
on January 17, 2013
I really like my case for my iPod. When I got it and first used it, things went really well except for occasional dirt building up around the edges. Then my iPod crashed and I had to trade it out, so the OtterBox case was switched to go on my new iPod. Now the silicone insert it is loose on the front and bubbles out on the bottom to create an annoying touch. No amount of repositioning changes it. Dirt also is attracted to the silicone, and has to be cleaned regularly. The cover does it's job, but I wish I could have left it on myiPad and not taken it off. If you're looking for a great protective case, this is it. If you're looking for a case that you can change out occasionally and remain the same, you may want to keep looking.

During the summer: Case is cracked after dropping it. Sad to see an OtterBox case that can't seem to hold up, but at least my iPod is not damaged.
on January 1, 2012
The case is firm and secure feeling. I like the rubber and hard plastic set up.

However, I am pretty annoyed with the protective port covers. One flap covers the dock connector, while another covers the headphone port. Neither stays on very well. in fact the headphoen port never stays put. The headphone cover has a little rubber plug, which is supposed to fit into the headphone port and keep it free from dust and keep the flap secure. It never goes in right, and unless I spend time trying to wedge the plug in, it just hangs out and gets in the way. This also makes the dock flap lay weirdly and both of them never lay flat and even.

The cut out for the Apple logo is dumb, it's unprotected, collects grease and scratches. All of this saftey compromised to show off that precious Apple logo.

Another thing is the plastic, while it indeed feels sturdy and rigid, it's got a feel and texture that reminds me of cheap plastic. I'm not sure how to describe it other than that feeling you get when you compare one type of plastic to another. It's just got a cheap feel to it.
on April 20, 2013
I knew I wanted a case for my son's iPod, but I didn't want something so bulky that he couldn't dock - a problem with traditional OtterBoxes. This seemed like a happy medium. I also go a Skinomi sceen protector which I hightly recommend. I get them for everthing that needs a protector. I did cut off the tab for the bottom, so much easier and the thin plastic strip that holds the outside cover on around the charger broke, but OtterBox replaced it right away. That piece has again since broken, but it really doesn't effect the case. Even with that shortcoming I still give it a 5 star rating because I don't think for the size you can beat it for protection. My 10 yr old has dropped this several times.
on August 6, 2011
After over a month of heavy use with this case, I am convinced that this is the one of the best cases I have ever owned for any device for several reasons:

1) The case is in three parts- a screen protector, a silicone case, and a plastic piece that snaps over the silicone. This not only provides an outstanding amount of protection but is also one of the best looking cases I have ever seen.

2) The silicone comes off the screen just enough so that if dropped screen down the screen will never hit the floor.

3) The screen protector is great and I could hardly notice that the protector was on, although it seemed a little difficult to apply.

My ipod has been dropped several times but I have never had a problem. Although this case is a little pricey, it was worth every penny in protection and style. I would recommend this case to anyone who owns an ipod touch and is looking for the best in looks and protection.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.