Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on November 17, 2012
This book is a beautifully crafted set of questions designed to tweak memories of ordinary things, the stuff of which our daily lives are made. We hesitate to think of our own histories as interesting if we are not famous. But if you ask your children, they will say that how Mom and Dad met or what Grandma Jane's first house looked like are very interesting to them.

A word of warning: If you are a worshipper at the Church of Oprah Winfrey and buy this book because of Amazon's mistaken description of the author on the book's Amazon page, you will be disappointed. This book is compiled by Bob Greene and his sister D.G. Fulford. The Bob Greene who wrote this book is the Chicago-based former journalist and current contributor to CNN and NOT the Bob Greene who became famous as Oprah Winfrey's personal trainer. Hey Amazon!! You need to change that!
on April 16, 2015
VERY useful book which sets you on a path of leaving a written (or taped) legacy for your family and other loved ones. It's full of all kinds of ideas - you can pick and choose what works for you and go from there. It includes all varieties of information that you probably never thought about! This project is something to get started on early and work on steadily - we never know how much time we have no matter our age. Definitely worth having available for when you're ready to get started!
on August 31, 2007
Not only is this a thoughtfully written and organized book, but this is also a handy little book. It's small size easily fits into a backpack or overnight bag. I put the book and a really good gel pen and a pad of paper into a gallon-sized Ziplock-type baggie so that I can write anytime, anywhere. I always take it with me to the beach and often take it with me on overnight trips, too, finishing one question per trip. I randomly open the book, choose an appropriate question, close the book and start writing whatever comes to mind about the subject.
It is surprising how the questions in the book really make one think back. One time I took my 18-year-old son to the beach with me. I showed him the book, we each chose a question and wrote for over an hour, sitting amongst the grasses in the sun and wind. I discovered he was definitely not too young to write down his history! Yes, I hand-write the entries and then transcribe them later with a word processor. A workbook or journal would be too space-restricting for me, and no way can I do a question per day!
I'm okay with not answering all the questions in the book. It is nice to know that even if I don't get very far in the book, my three children and my siblings will know me a lot better than if I never answered one. If I had no children, I would write anyway because you just never know who would be touched by your life. This is a must-have book for anyone wanting to pass some history down because it makes it so much easier to do. This book made it easy enough for me, the single mom with two jobs, to start a personal history!
on November 13, 2009
Using this book as a guide, I'm creating a journal for my children by interviewing their 84 year old great grandmother(who has a great memory and has survived WWII), all four of their grandparents, myself and my husband. This is the kind of project everyone aspires to do but never does then regrets not doing so when it's too late. I've had so much fun learning so many interesting things about my family members. My husband and I have been married almost 10 years and I've learned so many new things about him from these questions. We have fun going down memory lane and sharing our childhood memories together.

I plan on giving some of these journals to my nieces and nephews when they are older so they can read them and take comfort in these memories when their family members are gone. My children have spent brief times with their great grandmother but with this information that i've accumulated, they will have a more intimate knowledge of the extraordinary life she's lived and learn from it.

This project takes a lot of time but i'm having so much fun learning new things, it doesn't feel like work.
on November 29, 2017
I was expecting more of a journal where things could be filled in but this more of a list of questions to ask and document elsewhere.
on December 31, 2014
I have written my life story using this book. It is broken down by chapters of different times in your life. I like how it asks you questions and all you have to do is answer them. I have bought several over the years for family and friends. My last one I gave away was to a friend at work. Her father had just passed away and I told her to use it to get her mother's story before it was too late.
on July 13, 2013
Then this is the book for you. I have kept a journal for decades. Stories and people who have impacted my life.
Stories about my young life I want to give to my children and their children's children. My history, their history.

But here I found so many questions in this book that I had not thought of. Some I used, some I did not. But most stimulated unthought of memories that I want to include.

It gives you a format, in a way, of ideas unthought of.

Family history, so often not passed on, is a priceless gift, so often lost.

Painfully, when you lose a family member, you so wish you could pick up the phone and ask them these unasked questions.

If you are on this journey or want to make it yours this is the book to you, an invaluable tool.
on December 2, 2009
This book helped me get started on a project I had been thinking about for a long time but didn't know how to organize. I had my grandchildren in mind when I started, but after I had written 20 pages, I sent a draft to my children, in essence to see whether they were interested enough for me to continue the project. They were thrilled to get it and requested that I provide even more information on some subjects. I had no idea how much they didn't know about my early life and how interested they were in what I thought was just "ordinary stuff." I have purchased this book for several friends.
on March 22, 2018
I got this for my aunt. I hope she fills it out. The one I got for my mum was only partially finished before she passed.
on June 5, 2017
I order this book for all the people in my life who want to write their life stories. I have used it to begin my story. There are topics with many questions to think about, which helps to get you started on a trip down memory lane.