Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on May 5, 2017
The book itself has fairly short sentences and does for the most part only present a vague introduction to the subject of evolution. It is by no means the only thing a child should learn on the subject.
It tells about how "we" have changed a lot over a long period of time (millions of years in the third pair of pages).
It's fairly basic and describes what each level of our evolution added to make what we are now as humans.
That's almost the entirety of the book.
The last few pages go into depth. I know that those pages will be a little too much for my 5-year old, but it's great to use over time with this book.
Those last pages explain in detail what is meant in the book when it talks about what we inherited from these distant ancestors.
They also give us a timeline to show it all to scale.
Generally those last pages are probably something you might want to go into when the concept is a little bit more familiar, but having them around is a great thing nonetheless.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
8 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 18, 2016
The title is misleading, as the presentation is largely a linear presentation of human ancestors. All the same, this may be the best book on the subject for young children.
9 people found this helpful
on February 12, 2010
I was looking for a book that would help my son (5 yrs) better understand what I believe about science and evolution as oposed to what his father believes (the classic Christian creation story). I needed something more than just telling him that I don't believe god created people and that's that. So I went searching. And this was my first hit, my first purchase, and I am SO happy with it.

We just received our package yesterday and my son and I sat and read the book. He loved it. Like another reviewer said, it is very hard for him to grasp millions of years, but I found that just explaining to him in terms of a "long time ago" a "long, long time ago" and a "long, long, long time ago" helped him get the basic idea. He asked questions, and made observations, and was fascinated by the pictures.

This book is just the start in educated him on science, but it is a good one. I've recommended it to all my similarly perplexed friends for their children.
98 people found this helpful
on January 1, 2017
I love this book, my kids always have so many questions about life evolved and it's hard to describe in ways their minds can absorb. This book really pulls it down to an easier to grasp concept. They love this book, and i could see the dots connecting as we read it. And the beautiful illustration doesn't hurt, either!
3 people found this helpful
on February 27, 2018
A classmate of our kindergartner told him that people came from apes. Where is a parent to begin? This book helped. It was a little lighter on the hard science than we would have liked, but it's beautifully illustrated. For our purposes (recognizing maybe we shouldn't attempt to teach a 5 yo evolution), I could have used some pictures that were a little more basic and showed step-by-step adaptations. There's a lot of good information at the end of the book, but it's all in little snippets on a couple of pages. We were able to use some of that, but it was a little tough.
on August 8, 2015
This book is very useful for children in this time where creationnists are more and more agressive. Young people have to become really conscient of the difference between kowledge and belief. It is very well illustred. What I also like are the explanations for parents and teachers at the end of the book.
6 people found this helpful
on March 30, 2017
Nice little story for young kids to start getting to know the word around them w/o falling on myth or fantasy
2 people found this helpful
on April 26, 2012
I have two daughters ages 2 and 4. They both love this book. My daughter had been asking me where people came from and I had a really really hard time putting it into ANY terms that she could at all understand (I have a BS in Biology with a minor in biological anthropology which is basically the study of primates and human evolution SO I had a heck of a time filtering the information and putting it into appropriate terms for a 4 year old). So I started looking for story books to help me out. I found this on Amazon so I decided to give it a try. The first time I read it my 4yo looked at me and said "that's the truth, isn't it mommy?" and I said "yep. It sure is".

This really is a great book, the illustrations are great and it simplifies things in a way little kids can kind of get. They don't have a concept of "millions" of years, or really any time period of longer than a millisecond (amiright?) so it's still tricky, but this book gets close.

I agree with a previous reviewer that this book is very limited in the ages of children who will be interested in it. There is very little scientific information in it and as a result kids over the age of 5 or 6 will have zero interest in this. It is for the preschool audience.
13 people found this helpful
on March 22, 2016
Bought this to help me explain evolution to my young daughter. Worked great, and it's one of our favorite books now. She's still making up her mind about creation vs evolution... But she loves this book!
2 people found this helpful
on October 25, 2015
This is certainly not a book that introduces the principles of evolution with any depth or discussion of processes. That said, it is perfect for helping younger readers understand the connection between diverse organisms with little obvious commonality.
4 people found this helpful