Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon ballerss3 ballerss3  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 48 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 58 reviews
on November 27, 2012
What a delightful and engaging story of the history of Britain! Perfect for elementary aged children and even older. My children beg to have this book read to them. Marshall definitely makes the key characters in British history come alive with her tales. The adults and children both have enjoyed this book in my house.

I was compelled to especially review this edition by Phoenix Press. This is the edition you want! Full color illustrations and very high quality. The pages are nice, thick and glossy. Even after our many readings in this book the binding is still very tight and no pages are bent. I've looked around at other editions, and this one is definitely my favorite.
on December 29, 2014
We have been reading through this history book for several years and love it, but our version was a pretty poor paperback reprint. I love this version of it! The color pictures make an immeasurable difference and the text is wonderfully clear (as in we experienced several pages in our old version where the text was so blurred we couldn't read it). So glad this is available in this format now!
on September 17, 2009
Just so you know, in the Yesterday's Classics edition, the illustrations are not in color. I thought it wouldn't matter, but after I received the book I saw the illustrations in color online and they are sooo much more lovely! I'm returning this one for an edition with color illustrations (the one from Phoenix Press).

Aside from this, the YC edition is fine -- nice font size, easy to read.
on July 16, 2014
This book is an excellent historical work about Britain and it is written for young children. It starts in the fog of ancient myths and ends with the Boer War. If a person wishes to get a very simple, very readable, and very enjoyable book about British history, than this is the scroll to buy.
on May 29, 2014
Simplistic, but a fair overview of English/British history for someone in a hurry; I used it to check basic background while reading a novel about King Edward II, and it was effective for that. The book was obviously written for children.
on March 28, 2014
While the story itself is good, I bought it to read with my son. The print is entirely too small. It is poorly printed. It should have been done in larger print. I realize that would make it a thicker book, but the way it is done is not at all useful for younger readers, and if you are following the book list, this is recommended for younger readers. I was really frustrated because although I had it in electronic format, I try to limit my child's reading to books. I didn't send it back, but I wish I had.
on March 11, 2012
Very good purchase. It is a must for our homeschool and buying it on the Kindle was very cost effective. I am not sure if the hard copy of the book has pictures, but the kindle version does not. I love reading it to my kids on the go and not having to pack another item. Very happy, but will probably eventually buy the book, just because there is nothing better then the real thing!!!
on February 22, 2013
This is a history of Great Britain written for a young audience, but full of fascinating details and stories. My young boys (9, 7, 5) love to listen as I read a chapter a day to them. The writing is excellent, with language that challenges but doesn't overwhelm them. Some of the legends and accounts are familiar to us, others are new, but all are helping us put other historical periods and events (as well as much familiar literature) in context.
on January 7, 2015
We really enjoy this book and use it for part of our history curriculum for homeschool. The problem is- there are some major grammar, punctuation and other print issues that were a serious oversight on the part of the publisher. When your 8-year old calls out the terrible grammar, you've got a pretty bad problem.
on February 25, 2016
I'm reviewing the quality of the blue, hardcover printing of Our Island Story. It's absolutely beautiful, well-bound, and worth the price. For some books (we homeschool several children), I don't mind a cheap, maybe low quality paperback, but for such a lengthy, timeless book, I'm glad we invested in this high-quality edition. Further, the illustrations are in color and lovely.