Check out Santa's new ride Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Our Man in Havana
Format: Paperback|Change

on July 31, 2017
I'd not read any Graham Greene and wanted to acquaint myself. It's interesting, beautifully written, a little odd. But I do recommend it and shall read more of this author. I do remember seeing the movie and liking it...it's a bit comical too.
on July 30, 2014
Graham Greene describes Our Man in Havana as an 'entertainment' and it certainly is! I'm rereading some of the Greene classics and this is first of his lighter novels that I've read. I loved it! It's hard to believe that this was written in 1958, it's so contemporary, it talks today's issues, the characters are alive. You don't have to look far to see a Milly but Wormwold is certainly one of a kind. I recommend the novel, it's short, punchy and funny, the scenes at the lunch involving the little dog are priceless.
on August 24, 2015
Entertaining book. The ending seemed a bit contrived to please the audience. I prefer Greene's other novels with a more serious intent. The writing is great and quite entertaining and hilarious at times.
on April 5, 2013
What a wonderful literate man. His use of language is remarkable. This is a very gentle "entertainment" but the story is hardly the point. To hear Greene's description of dark quiet bar or a walk through the market looking for a lottery ticket is just fascinating. I was very impressed. His politics are wonderfully liberal and he believes that one should love a person and not a country. So do I after fighting in a war and trying to find someone worthy of a vote. His satirical view of intelligence work is something I found to be true in my own life. All around wonderful.
on September 24, 2016
This is an engrossing story. Particularly interesting after my visit to Havana snd Cuba. Interesting story about character and religion. Lots of simple action as the main character travels around the country hiding out from the government.
on August 29, 2017
Very funny/sarcastic story. Loved it!
on June 23, 2015
An excellent book. I found the old-fashioned styling and outdated themes to be a welcome reprieve from the achievements of modern literature. I highly recommend a reading of this book for anyone wishing to rediscover a more casual form of storytelling or taking a break from more serious or professional reading.
on August 15, 2015
Greene ranks among the best.
on January 14, 2005
Ironic, in my book, is usually a code word for not quite funny. But when applied to "Our Man in Havana", the term conveys Graham Greene's knack for plausibly refuting our expectations, with his sinister characters sweet, his innocent characters inadvertently deadly, and his espionage professionals inept. Greene achieves all this with the lightest touch, making his story of a failing vacuum cleaner merchant and his inventions for the British Secret Service an amusing and plausible romp through pre-Castro Cuba.

Greene's style, by the way, is so quick and light that the characters begin to resonate only after the book's completion, when, at least, this reader began to consider this rich tapestry of characters and their interaction. Lots of fun.
on October 26, 2015
Graham Greene. This book was required reading for my Spies and Hackers class. Apart from the main premise being completely unrealistic (IMO) it was still very interesting to read about Cuba before the Castro's turned it.