Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 23 reviews
on April 2, 2013
This book was written with such powerful and raw emotions, it was hard to put down at times. Esther shared every detail of her illness, which at times, had to be very difficult to do. It showed the toll that it takes, not only on her, but also on her caretaker, her husband Bob (who by the way..never complained.)

This is a also a book about true love, which never wavers during this difficult period.

If you have ever had a serious illness, and want to see the strength and will to pull through, then you should read this book. Even if you have never been seriously ill, it will help you understand those around you who have.
on May 15, 2013
Esther Hougham was the picture of heath, an elegant equestrian, a vegetarian, and a person who exercised regularly. Then one day it just happened. She began to bruise. Esther's honest, well-written account takes you through her experience. As a physician, I was interested in her interactions with the medical profession. It was both positive and negative. This book should be required reading in medical schools. I see unfortunate trends in the patient-physician relationship. With corporate medicine, the doctor increasingly is the servant of the corporation's business interests and not his patient, with increasing specialization more holistic medicine is lost, with electronic medical records the doctor is relating to a keyboard and not his patient. If medicine is to be effective the focus on the patient cannot be lost and I believe Esther's account might help refocus on that human being behind the diagnosis.
HOWARD LANHAM, M.D.
on June 17, 2016
This was a me me me story...don't waste your time. Esther at every turn had to let you know that she was rich, how many friends she has, what a good husband she has and so on, I'm sure you can follow where I'm going with this. I'll leave the rest to you, as to whether or not you purchase the book. I'm not unsympathetic to her plight I had a child die of cancer, but I don't believe things were quite what she made out.
on January 20, 2013
Out of Nowhere is an honest account of what it is like to go through a major life threatening illness. For me it was a reminder of how brutal and 'non-personal' the medical experience can be and also a reminder that although the illness may be 'conquered' in hospital, the battle continues once a patient returns home and tries to return to normalcy.

A worthwhile read for anyone with someone close to them going through a major illness.
on November 21, 2013
The author is struck down with aplastic anemia, seemingly coming out of nowhere. She will die without a bone marrow transplant, which she receives from her brother. It is successful, and six years later she writes her story.
Beyond these facts, however, lies the incredible story of what she goes through, the incredible support from her husband, and the extreme good fortune of survival. A book well worth reading. Surely an impetus for celebrating good health.
on May 14, 2015
This story brought tears to my eyes due to the illness she was going through, which she described in detail about how she felt both physically and emotionally. I am so glad that her husband Bob stood by her side and helped take great care of her. Her mom, brother Pat and his wife Linda were also good support for her. She was able to move on with her life and enjoyed it.
on April 9, 2015
I highly recommend this book. It's well written and I like her writing style. Her story kept me interested. It was wonderful that her brother was a donor match.She has a wonderful husband who helped her through this awful illness that came "out of nowhere". I wonder if she still craves those submarine sandwiches? :)
on April 3, 2015
I had never heard of a plastic anemia as its very rare. So happy Esther survived this condition an is doing so well. She truly is inspiring and so is the love an support of her husband and family. She was very fortunate her brother was a match for being a donor. I don't want to give too much away.....
on January 18, 2013
I am glad that the author survived her rare disease and the bond now that she has with her brother. Nothing like a transplant to make you closer. How generous of her to donate the funds of the book for research. I hope the book will be an inspiration for many people with any life threatening disease or illness.
on March 31, 2015
This woman's true account of a horrible disease really engaged me. I gave it four rather than five stars because as an amateur writer the author could have used a little help in expressing herself. All I all, the book was well worth the time and money spent.