Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 559 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 599 reviews
on February 16, 2016
First hat sent out had a permanent crease in the back foam brim. Tried it outside and the front brim is too short to offer much rain protection, probably about half that of a baseball cap. When the wind blew the inner liner separated from the outer shell. Looked like I was wearing a yammika with a hat on top.
Sent it back and ordered a new one.
Got the second one and while it didn't have a bad crease, it still was crushed to the point that the brim was wonky. Also where the hat meets the brim there was a lot of material puckering on one side. That means too much material which means that someone is flying through their job sewing those together and quality control is bare minimum. Outdoor Research needs to do an updated hat and make the prices the same. No reason the camo version is 40 bux more, or a different color $20. Just silly.
on January 18, 2017
This hat works only if there is no breeze or wind at all. The flaps are so light that any wind just flips them up and they offer no protection. The hat will keep the very top of your head dry, but everything else (your face, your ears, the back of your neck) will get wet. A baseball cap would probably do just as well. In fact, the baseball cap would at least keep your forehead dry, which this hat does not do. I'd recommend this only if you live where the wind never blows at all. The hat sure doesn't work in San Francisco.
on February 14, 2016
Living and working in the Pacific Northwest means that you are going to get wet... sometimes a lot.
I tried rain jackets with hoods but they either blow off of your head in the slightest breeze or block your vision, and your face still ends up wet and your hair gets all matted.
If you have to be in the rain for more than just a couple of minutes and don't feel like being all wet than this is the hat for you.
The Pros-
1. It stays on your head. For light breezes you won't even need the chinstrap and can flip it behind you so it lays on your back out of the way.
2. The brim is nice and wide so that your face, ears, neck and much of your shoulders stay dry. If you talk on the phone, your phone stays dry. If you wear glasses they stay dry too.
3. The hat is very light weight so you can wear it and not end up with severe "hat head hair".
4. Unlike most of my hoods and hoodies, it doesn't block my vision at all.
5. The hat looks stylish and goes well with my spurs and six shooter. It is called the Seattle Sombrero after all.

The Cons-
1. You have to remember to bring it with you.
on December 28, 2014
I recently spent an entire day on a gun range in a cold rain, dealing with water droplets on my shooting glasses and the glasses fogging up due to conditions. It was a miserable day, and somewhere in the middle of it I decided that I would find a good waterproof hat to protect me better from the elements before ever spending another day like that. I took a chance on this hat, and I am glad I did. This hat has a wide brim, to protect your eyes and face better in the rain, and it also keeps the rain from rolling right off down the back of your neck. The Gore-Tex fabric it is made of will breathe, which makes this a decent option even in warmer weather when it can be used to protect your head and face from the sun. The strap is a nice addition, also. On the interior of the hat there is an adjustable band. I have a larger head, and have a hard time getting hats to fit right, but the larger size fit just fine and there is an adjustable strap inside the headband to help fit the hat to your head. The fabric and stitching on the hat are well-done. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a serious hat to protect them from the sun and rain.
on August 31, 2015
It keeps the Pacific Northwest rain off my head. Coupled with a good long raincoat this hat is a must for walking the dog on wet, windy winter mornings. It isn't exactly stylish but that isn't a concern for me.
It folds into a very small package and rebounds for the folding with no problems. I'd absolutely bring it on camping or hiking trips.
on May 7, 2015
Well made and has many good features but at 2-3/4" the brim is way too small for a rain hat except in a drizzle maybe. I don't know what it is like in Seattle but along the Atlantic coast in Florida the rain sometimes comes in sideways ... and the design of this sombrero simply does not measure up to the local need. Too bad as it is extremely well made and has a bunch of GREAT features including looking good. But it needs to BE good not just LOOK good. Given the above deficiencies this hat is WAY overpriced (IMO) for my needs. I have since purchased a Dutch Harbor Gear Men's Sou'Wester Hat also on Amazon - see my review - that (unlike this sombrero) has a very large brim designed for serious rain like the kind we get here in the sub tropics of south east Florida. I kept this sombrero in my car for those dashes to the store in a surprise shower. It bothers me every time I see it because it is such an expensive option (but I look good in it : )
on December 17, 2014
Great hat for avoiding the sun and rain. Surprisingly breathable and it wrinkles quickly. The large Velcro tabs allow for a few different looks and they all look pretty good. On the down side its a little bulky and looks a bit too serious for walking around town.
review image
on September 16, 2016
Great rainhat year-round; I also use it as a sunhat for hiking in spring and fall weather (too hot for me for hiking in summer). I love the broad brim. Would buy it again.
on April 8, 2015
I've used Tilly's for years and like the brand, but this Outdoor Research Sombrero is more comfortable and sits even easier. Brim is just the right width to keep sun out of the eyes. I've already become fond of wearing the brim up on the sides like an outback hat when under tree cover. This model will probably be best in cooler temps (under 70F), though I've not yet had a chance to actually try it in warm weather.
on January 11, 2017
Perfect fit and functionality for a Pacific Northwest birder. I gave this Gortex Sombrero to a loved avid birder. The draw string for windy birding expeditions, adjustable brim, and color were a great hit. Shipping and packing were excellent. Super gift.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.