Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Vant PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 224 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 240 reviews
on April 25, 2014
I own the Columbia Sun Goddess Booney Hat, which I LOVE and was looking for something equally awesome but a bit prettier. Both hats are easily 4-1/2 to 5 star hats and you can't go wrong with either. So, if you are deciding between the two or looking for a way to compare this hat to another hat, I hope this review helps with the nit picky details.
(I purchased "pool" which is exactly the pretty shade of aqua in the picture.)
Size: The OR Oasis runs a bit larger than most Medium hats. This is ok because the drawstring can easily be cinched for perfect fit and the slight extra room makes it easier to accommodate a tucked in ear or ponytail. But for a hat that comes in so many sizes, I expected a closer fit. I measured my head before purchasing and looked up the size chart, and it said I should get medium. I also wear medium in official MLB caps.
The (Sun Goddess) Booney is a one size and fits like a typical medium.

Sun coverage: the OR Oasis has an extra 3/4 inch all around the brim over the Booney hat and is UPF 50 vs. UPF 40. However, my blinding white Irish heritage skin seems adequately protected by the Booney hat, so the UPF difference is negligible. I suspect the difference is solely due to the Booney hat being a much thinner material on the cap of the hat, so if you have no hair or thin hair, you may notice a difference. The larger brim on the OR Oasis obviously shades a slightly greater area, which would put it ahead of the Booney if UPF was your only concern.

Style: the OR Oasis is hands down prettier. The toggles are much more minimilistic, the fabric has a finer look and the slightly wider brim & stiffer brim, I personally think looks more balanced and polished. What I didn't see in the pictures were the pretty tone on tone flowers on the underside of the brim. Don't get me wrong, they are both techie style hats but the OR pulls off the look with a touch more grace. If you are very petite, the OR hat just might feel a bit overly large but it still wins on style points.

Wind: both hats perform equally well in the wind but I feel the wind a teensy touch more with the OR Oasis hat.

Visibility: You notice the OR oasis much more in your view. I'm constantly reminded I am wearing a hat when I open my eyes. It doesn't really impact your visibility, I just feel like my brain keeps reminding me I'm wearing a hat.

Hot weather: the Booney hat is super breathable and light as a feather. I forget this hat is on. The OR Oasis is also very light but not as much as the Columbia Booney. It's probably lighter than any other hat you can find except the Booney.

Travel: the brims on both hats have a nice soft yet stiff foam to keep the brim from flapping in your face. The brim on the OR hat is stiffer, it would pack flat but take up a giant oval footprint. I would be afraid to fold the OR hat. The brim on the Columbia hat is slightly more flexible: I can fold it and easily reshape it making it easy to compact into a purse.

So why keep both? Here's where I'll wear each hat:
OR Oasis: at the pool or beach. At sporting events. For day trips where I know I will spend the most of the day outside. For light yard work & fussing in the garden. As my general go-to sun shade hat.

Columbia Booney: for travel - especially travel to hot climates, for day trips where I am more likely to be taking the hat on and off. When I'm doing yard work that will make me hot & sweaty (like mowing in the summer or doing heavy digging/moving dirt. When I'm wearing something that clashes like crazy with the pool blue - which will be hard because it brings out the blue in my eyes. (My Booney hat is sandstone, or whatever name they call something that should be sandstone).

I might pull out either hat for hiking (day trips only) depending on my mood.
11 comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2015
Took this hat with me to the Mediterranean for several weeks. It went everywhere with me. I walked through ancient ruins, went to the beach and did general sightseeing with this hat. It was great. It fit perfectly and was very lightweight. It is made out of something indestructible because I sat on it, stuffed it into my suitcase and purse, sweated in it and it still looks new. It is not even dirty. I burn easily and must wear a hat. It protected my face and neck and head very well. I did not burn at all. It also allows your head to breathe so you don't get too hot. It has a place to adjust the tightness of the hat as well as a neck strap. It did not blow off my head and I only had to hold on to it a couple of times when I was on a boat and it was very windy. Wonderful hat for traveling. I'm very glad I purchased it.
VINE VOICEon August 20, 2010
Overall, this is a nice hat. It has several pros, like the different sizes, different colors, nice material, very lightweight, and the detachable chin strap. However, the brim looks very sturdy on the pictures, but it is actually very floppy. I can't stand floppy hats. Also, the fabric of the inner layer of the brim seemed to be bigger than the outer layer, so the inner layer bunched up everywhere. Maybe I just had a "lemon", but I was disappointed by this hat and returned it. If you are looking for a great sunhat, check out the field hat by Sunday Afternoons. It's awesome.
22 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2013
This hat replaced the same model I used extensively for kayaking and hiking for over 15 years and finally had to replace because the Florida sun eventually weakened the fabric. I took the old hat apart to check out the construction, and was impressed with the attention to details inside. I will even reuse the foam stiffener inside the rim for padding small areas in my A-liner. The new hat is made even better with the seaming around the rim, and the kind of fabric. The rim does not flip up as much as the old hat. The only thing I might change is to add a small strap that connects the rim in front of the strap with the main strap, in a triangle; this will result in even more resistance to the rim flipping up in a strong wind.
on May 2, 2017
I wear this hat daily as I walk for exercise. I wanted one that had a nice brim to keep the sun off my face. The underside of the brim is black so nothing reflects on my face, which I like. I start out with the chin strap up in the hat itself, but it gets windy here in West Texas so I often dump out the chin strap to keep the hat from blowing off my head. I have received compliments on the hat. The brim is a nice size -- not so small it doesn't keep your face out of the sun, and not so large that the wind flaps it all the time.
on July 23, 2016
A Nice hat, but, the draw string to hold the hat down is lame. The draw string is simply a slide bead with no lock. So you can cinch up bead and then the hat will blow off with a little wind. A "cheap" straw hat for a third of the price has locking draw string. If the draw string was fixed where you could lock it, it would be a much better hat. If you constantly need to grab your hat because it's blowing off your head...you get the point. I thought all hats with a draw string came with standard locking bead...not this hat. I will add, for people with larger heads, this hat is nice comfortable fit. A perfect hat for indoors with no wind.
on March 3, 2014
I love this hat. The underside is dark, helping shield my eyes from the brightness of the sun. The underside is sort of a graphite color, with little flowers toward the back. Definitely a woman's hat. The hat is adjustable around the head, which is handy. The chin strap is nice in the wind. I thought the medium was a little small and I reordered and got a large. One thing...I ordered the medium from Campmor, not from Amazon, so when I sent it back, I had to pay return shipping. The large size hat came from Amazon. Ordering from Amazon comes with free shipping and free returns, but not from outside sellers like Campmor. I called Amazon to ask about this, and they were nice enough to give me a $10 credit on my account. I really appreciated that.
on November 9, 2015
I did my research for a hiking hat and this came up and several other customer reviews as being outstanding. I def agree. It fits as expected, the string keeps it in place. I wore it last October 2015 to a trip to Grand Canyon, it was 101 degrees and this hat keep me cool. It got wet while hiking and dried real fast. Love the color also!
review image
on August 22, 2015
I bought this hat to wear on a three-day stay at the Western Southern Tennis Tournament in Mason, Ohio. It performed beautifully through sunny, rainy, and sometimes very windy weather. Good thing for the chin strap because you would not want the hat to blow off while sitting up high in the stadium seats. I noticed other tennis enthusiasts had similar OR hats, but I was very pleased with mine and glad I purchased it online. And it's a good thing the hat can be put into a washing machine because it did get a little dirty after three days of wear. The best feature of the hat is that the back extends down far enough to cover the neck and keep it from being burned by the sun. The adjustable chin strap and the toggle at the back allow you to get a fit exactly to your head size that is comfortable and stylish at the same time.
on August 20, 2014
This is a great hat. I have a big head and a lot of hair, and have troubles finding hats that don't feel like they're squeezing my brains. This one is great (I referred to the sizing chart on their website in order to purchase one that fits just right - check it out) and I love that it's so breathable. Perfect for hot days with the kids and the beach!

The brim is nice and stiff and doesn't flop down in my eyes. The material is nice and lightweight, and the adjustable chin strap is handy when it's windy out. The brim is nice and large, and gives me lots of coverage over my face and the back of my neck.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.