Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 53 reviews
on July 2, 2013
I am super happy with this product! This speaker is small, very portable, very lightweight with a very long battery life.

BATTERY LIFE:
The battery lasts forever. I'm not joking. I took it on a camping trip and tried to use it constantly in Bluetooth mode to see when it would die but it lasted long past the 3 day camping trip before running out of juice.

SOUND:
Rich bass, good mid range, and clear treble for a full sound. I separated sound quality from loudness as they are two different things.

LOUDNESS:
If you use this in the bathroom it will be plenty loud and you won't need to crank up the volume to the limit. If you use this at the pool near to your group of friends it will perform handsomely. The speaker should not be expected to drown out a large group of loud people talking and laughing, screaming children, or any other excessive ambient noise. In other words if I have people over and I want to have music going in one room and have people in the next room also hear it I would choose to use my stereo. But that isn't what it is designed to do.

BLUETOOTH AND OTHER NEGATIVE BLUETOOTH RELATED COMMENTS:
Some people make negative comments about product functionality assuming their complaints are valid but they are ignorant and don't understand Bluetooth limitations. PEOPLE SHOULD THINK OF BLUETOOTH AS A WAY TO WORK ON A REASONABLE LEASH WITHOUT PHYSICAL CABLES RATHER THAN A FEATURE THAT LETS YOU HAVE COMPLETE MOBILITY FROM A FIXED UNIT. Just think about Bluetooth phone headsets. You don't keep your phone at home inside if you are on the phone with your Bluetooth earpiece you keep your phone nearby like in your pocket on handbag.

Bluetooth requires a continuous uninterrupted signal. If you start playing music and you keep you phone in your pocket then walk far enough away the connection may be dropped. When you get back to the unit you will have to re pair the connection. This may be frustrating but the solution is simple. Leave your phone near the unit. Don't buy this device if you expect on keeping your personal device far away from it at all times. Remember this was designed to accompany backpackers, bikers within a few feet of the device not to leave your phone in the house while you listen to music at your pool. Buy a phone protector like an otter box if that is your issue...

If your aren't happy with your Bluetooth functionality it could due to a combination of factors. The most likely culprit is the strength of your personal devices transmitter (phone, iPod), then the conditions of use (obstructions, distance, battery levels), and lastly (and less likely the problem) the boombox.

WISHLIST:
This company could make a killing on a less portable yet rugged home device. There isn't anything out there that is as rugged, battery powered, and really loud. This company has delivered the product they set out to make and did it well. Now they should expand the product line. I would recommend them increasing the size/weight, expand and double the speakers, increase the wattage (likely requiring more than double the batteries), and put a handle on it so that it could be carried easily. Something that one could take to a bonfire party and supply tunes for a whole crowd. I figure it would double the cost too but the sound is so good and the unit is so rugged that I would trust this company to make a good quality product meeting my wishes.
on May 17, 2013
sound is clear and plenty loud. lack of headspace isn't nearly as concerning as some people made it out to be, definitely doesn't outweigh the good. dropped it in the dirt and mud dozens of times, took it kayaking, mountainbiking and backpacking and it never skipped a beat. charges quick and holds a charge VERY well. no problems jamming a solid 12 hour work day on a single charge.
on October 2, 2013
This is a great speaker, and has incredible sound for its size and shape. The bass especially is surprising in something so small. Easy to pair with multiple devices, and charges very quick.

Downside is sand gets stuck in the speaker holes and the cover over the plugs is very difficult to snap in place.

Definitely recommend it as a high quality outdoor speaker.
on August 15, 2013
I love music and I really enjoy quality, full range sound. I also love mountain biking.

I really enjoy listening to music when I ride...until the day my earbuds caught on a tree branch as I rode by. That was the end of those 'buds. I suppose I had it coming, riding with earbuds can dangerous since you can't hear others around you.

I was really glad to have come across the Turtle Shell! I was skeptical at first, but I read lots of reviews and they were all consistent. I just got mine and wow! I am quite thrilled.

I own many portable speakers, including the Jambox (the small one). The Turtle Shell absolutely delivers. It has identical specs to the Jambox as far as I can tell. But in my opinion, it sounds better. The bass output (rated down to 60 Hz!) is quite good for something of this size. It has very nice tonal balance and plays loudly without distortion. This is not a $10k audio system, of course. But for what it is...a rugged and super portable speaker...it is EXCELLENT!

It's a big plus that it has volume/track controls also. It comes with a nice storage bag too. The speakerphone is excellent and I use it daily for conference calls when in the office at home. .

Like another reviewer, I wish the USB charging cable was "standard".
I purchased the bike clamp and it works, but it could be better; like the same reviewer I am a little baffled at the strange way the "Turtle Claw" clamp (standard camera tripod threads) "crushes" the woofer grille when you tighten it down. I found if you remove the "nut" from the turtle claw's threaded post and use the clamp without the nut you don't have the crush problem.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the Turtle Shell and it has been great to have music on my off road rides!
on April 6, 2013
I'm not any audiophile, but with that said this very portable blue tooth boom box has volume, great tone and clarity. This will be in my backpack for overnights, daypack for day trips to bring music to help set a mood in beautiful natural settings. I look forward to days on my boat fishing using my ipod touch linked via bluetooth boom box.
on March 5, 2014
I was surprised by just how loud this speaker can get while still keeping a good quality of sound! This little guy can take quite a beating. I bought this speaker for my brother, who wanted something that he could use in the shower, as well as outside in the rain and dirt. This speaker is perfect for that! Get one while you can!
on January 21, 2014
By far one of the best companies I've ever purchased from, I had a small problem with my first turtle and they replaced it no problems and even gave me the newest upgraded version, I will continue to make purchases with this company for years to come!!!
on March 5, 2013
This is one cool little speaker. It is crazy simple and very easy to operate. It is weather resistant and is even better than the website describes. I use this little gem to stream my sattelite radio to while I sit in my hot tub--I highy recommend this device!
on July 7, 2013
Solid build with good sound including the low end. This is excellent in a quiet room but does not have enough power to overcome a noisy environment.

This is my first Bluetooth wireless speaker to play with so don't put too much weight on my opinion. it has met every expectation I had when I ordered the product and I would buy it again.
on May 15, 2013
Just recieved it in the mail. I have 2 other portable speakers. The jbl flip and cyfi wireless bicycle speaker. The jbl flip beats the turtle in loudness and clarity . Loudness ,by my opinion, 15 percent difference. The turtle beats the flip in bass and battery life (havent tested batterry yet, but in theory). My jbl will last at about 4.5hrs on the loudest setting on consistent play. My cyfi is a great size for my bike. Its light, water resistant and will last about 3.5 to 4hrs. The cyfi is not as loud as the turtle. the turtle is 30 percent louder t my cyfi in my opinion. The turtle is going to be clunky when I attach it to my bike.....but its going to be the loudest weather resistant bike speaker out there. I havent tested the clamp yet but looks good for my odd shape handle bars and may even work with my gopro.

After riding with this speaker. The attachment part to the bike is awful. Its like a chicken neck. Picture it being jerked when hitting a bump. Ive found the jbl charge is much louder and fits in my bottle cage. Really great

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.