Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Outing Yourself: How to Come Out as Lesbian or Gay to Your Family, Friends and Coworkers
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on April 28, 2000
When I began coming out, I ended up with two copies of this book--the first two people I came out to gave me copies of this book, and both were straight. If you are straight and someone gay comes out to you early on in their coming-out process and you want to show them that you support them--this is a great book to give. And if you are gay and want helpful, level-headed advice about how and when to come out--this is a great book to get before you begin. Some key things I hadn't realized in coming out that this book touches on, for instance, is that the order you come out to your straight friends matters. Who knew? It's chock full of little tidbits of things you probably never thought about--and viewpoints on things you probably have thought about. All in all, this should be the first title in your gay or lesbian library. I can't tell you how much it helped me.
on February 18, 2002
I recently accepted to myself that yes, I am Gay. My family and most of my friends do not know about me being gay. Many of whom I already think they suspect me of being gay but do not say anything.
I used to be confused about myself and thought that I am bi-sexual. But now I know that it is not the true me. Sure I like to be with girls and hangout but sexually I prefer to be with another man. That being said I will give my thoughts on this wonderful book.
This is the first book that I bought about coming out. This book not only breaks down steps in how to come out but it gives real life examples from other people's coming out stories.
The pace of the book is set at your pace. You continue through the chapters as you progress in your coming out.
Not only does this book answer questions that you might have it also answers questions that your friends and family might have and how to deal with them.
I can say this book is very helpful in understanding not only yourself, but your family, friends, and the gay community.
This book is not only for you, but for everyone in your life.
Though I am not out of the closet to those very close to me, I have made steps in coming out thanks to this book.
I hope you enjoy this book as much as I have.
on August 22, 2000
I found this book to be a veritable Bible of Coming out. When the best time to do it is, how to establish a network of friends as a new "family", etc. But my one caveat for anyone dealing with their own sexuality would be to take all the advice you can stomach, and then formulate your own strategy for coming out. This book, while extremely valuable, is NOT a book of rules - merely suggestions. All of the books on this topic I have read seem to all have the same errored thought process - that just because you are gay, that you have to become an activist. It is important that you come to terms with your sexuality and share or don't share it with your loved ones and coworkers, but I think this book's approach of "coming out every day" may be quite intimidating for any person struggling to come out. You don't have to join GLAAD or march in any parades.
on April 4, 2004
I like the way this book deals with homophobia, with patience and understanding, instead of anger. I wish I'd had this book earlier, before coming out to some of my friends, I wouldn't have taken their rejection so personally.
on July 12, 2002
This book is terrific, for anyone coming out, already out, or considering coming out in the near future. If you're already out, it shows you what you can still do, how to be sure your friends and family don't fall into that trap of ignoring that you're gay after you've told them, etc. If you're in the process, the next step is clearly enumerated for you. It will help you avoid mistakes, things you'd never think of, which will make it easier on you and your family/friends. And if you're planning on coming out, this book will give you hope, and a goal. It will help you to know when you are ready, and what to make sure you have as a security net.
Outing Yourself is a much needed friend, always helpful, always personal and readable. I read it within three days of buying it, and I'm sure I'll refer back to it often.
on January 8, 2004
I found this book extremely helpful...it gave me some good points about who to come out to first and when to come out. I am very much still in the closet but reading this book has helped me to understand how much my life will change once I do come out to more people and especially when I come out to my parents!
on October 12, 1999
If you are pondering coming out, this is the book to have. I have just begun this process, and this book has changed my life profoundly. I cannot recommend it highly enough, it's like having a wise and reassuring friend who you can come back to again and again. I refer to it every day.
on April 5, 2006
This book is excellent. I wish I had found it 10 years earlier - it could have saved me a lot of agony. It explains the various levels and stages of coming out rather than making it seem like one huge thing you have to do all at once. It breaks it down into sections like acknowleding to yourself that you are gay and becoming more comfortable with that as well as coming out to friends, family, co-workers, the world at large, etc. I think most gay people will see themself in this book probably several times over. By the time I read it, I had already worked my way through several of the steps on my own but it was nice to realize that others went through similar stages and that I had made more progress than I had thought. What I loved most about this book is that you can read just the sections that concern you or the whole book but that it helps you to progress at your own pace through the various stages. It reminds you that everyone's time scale is different and that you should only move on to another step when you feel ready to do so. There are practical suggestions and stories of other people's experiences. I would recommend this book to anyone who is gay whether they are just realizing that they are or even if they figure they are already out. I highly recommend this book.
on June 11, 1998
Outing Yourself was such a great resource for me in my coming out. I gave it to four friends and each found it to be equally important to them. Every one of us held on to it--sometimes literally, particularly when the going got rough-- and went back to it when we needed support. I still do so. That's because it breaks the process down into steps and none of us is never fully finished. We're always dealing with these issues. And Signorile understands that rather simplifying it. I don't know what I'd have done without the book.
on March 12, 1999
I've never been much for touchy-feely self help style books. I loved Signorile's straightforward, just-the-facts presentation of what you should think about before coming out to friends, family, co-workers, etc. It was particularly helpful that he pointed out some of the ways parents typically react and what kinds of things I should think about before coming out... It was definitely a comforting addition to my support group of friends.