Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Outlaw Platoon: Heroes, Renegades, Infidels, and the Brotherhood of War in Afghanistan
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

on March 17, 2012
As a member of Outlaw Platoon, I can not stress enough the importance of this book to our nation's forgotten infantry soldiers. Outlaw Platoon is an honest and compelling account of life and death in the trenches and does true justice to our combat experience.

As you read this post, there are thousands of men on battlefields around the world killing and suffering for the preservation of American ideals. As a civilized society and beneficiaries of our nation's might, we must meet their sacrifices with unwavering support. It is not enough for us to adhere a yellow ribbon to our cars, to shake a soldier's hand, or even to send care packages to the front. More than anything, these men need our understanding. They need to know that we are aware of their plight, that we are invested in their success, and that we are willing to help shoulder the burdens of combat, just by listening and caring.

Outlaw Platoon is a window into the world of America's infantry warriors. In the book, Sean puts you on the ground in Afghanistan, straps 100 pounds of gear on your back, and injects you into the fight. However, he also introduces you to the human side of the war, highlighting the exceptional diversity of the platoon and the strength that it generates, as well as the horrifying realities of life for Afghani civilians.

Not only is Outlaw Platoon a thrilling, emotionally-charged read, it is a tool for healing the wounded souls of our discarded patriots and reuniting the American people with the guardians of our way of life. It is our undeniable duty as Americans to share the load of our foreign wars, and by simply reading Outlaw Platoon with a compassionate heart, we are doing our part for the men we put in harm's way.
2828 comments| 441 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2012
Having experienced war, I can say that Outlaw Platoon is the closest to reality of all the war books I have read. It took guts to put down what actually happens and how it affects the mind and the body. I could almost feel and smell the fear, anxiety, love and hatred one experiences when their life is on the line. The bond these men formed in the midst of a deadly environment, so brutal, goes far beyond that of a mother and child. It is with us forever.

This book should be mandatory reading for every politician. Maybe, just maybe they will not be so quick to send our troops into "fog of war."
on February 28, 2012
This book is fantastic. It is so well written you feel like you know the men in the story personally and you are right there experiencing what they go through. You don't need to be a huge military buff to read it either. The book exposes war and the bond it forges between the men who fight in it. It evokes so many emotions highs and lows---on top of that it is a real page turner. I finished the book in a few days, I couldn't put it down. It is a story of an amazing group of men and I'm so glad their story has been told! Read this book, I promise you won't regret it!
11 comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2012
You will feel like you are fighting along side the men of outlaw platoon in the this wonderfully written book about the war in Afghanistan. The author, Sean Parnell, takes you through his tour in country with wit, sadness, humor, and raw emotion. You will feel it all, as if it is happening to you. It is a great read about some great men. It is a book unlike any other of its kind. I have recommended this book to many and will continue to do so. Don't take my word for it though, buy the book and see for yourself. It is well worth it.
77 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2012
From the first sentence I was mesmerized by Outlaw Platoon's story. I'm a woman and I don't think I've ever read a military book, but I saw Sean Parnell on Fox and thought it looked like an interesting story. I couldn't put it down. I finished it days ago and I can't stop thinking about the men of Outlaw Platoon. There's a lot of action in the book, but the heart of the story is about the men and the relationships formed while at war. A beautiful telling of hope, integrity, courage, trust, selfless love, and total dedication.
I've always loved and appreciated our military, but Outlaw Platoon pushes my feelings of gratitude to a whole new level.
A must read!
Thank you Outlaw Platoon for your service and your sacrifice. And without giving the story away, may God bless the elderly gentleman that risked everything to protect our beloved military.
on March 24, 2012
Like the author, I am an infantryman who served in Afghanistan, although under much calmer and safer circumstances. This book is the real deal. The author describes the nature of the country perfectly. This is a great description of how the world is at the platoon level in Afghanistan at that time in the war.
If you are thinking of purchasing a book like this, you are probably looking for an interesting story, full of blood, guts, and heroism. It is there, in spades. If you have served with soldiers, you know there are several types of this genre. There are the antiseptic stories that describe weapons and tactics in great detail. There are the ones where the author goes on about me, me, me, all the way through. The very best stories show the love and respect the author had for his comrades. He talks about them more than himself and obsesses on making sure you can see his fellow soldiers as real people. Those are the very best ones. This is one of those.

I should also mention that some credit goes to the coauthor, John Bruning. He was the coauthor for the superb "House to House", with David Bellavia, and wrote a great book on Iraq titled "The Devil's Sandbox." I had never paid much attention to who the coauthor was before; this is the exception to that rule. Five stars.
on March 20, 2013
In some places, I felt like I was there, in the action. Some readers will love it, but I couldn't finish it. Having served in the army, in active combat I just couldn't accept some of what the author says, he is just too much of a hero, almost a superhero. In an ambush, while their humvees were under intense fire from rifles, machine guns, RPGs and even a sniper, he disembarks his Humvee and runs through the enemy fire, in a road with no cover, getting holes in his trouser legs, but doesn't get hit. Amazing as that was, his entire platoon, then also disembarks from their vehicles and runs after him up a hill, in the road and none of them get shot. He likes to call them his men and personalizes it a little too much for my taste - it gets soppy.

He repeatedly alludes to how much his troops love and respect him and how he loves his troops. This is one of the parts that eventually made me stop reading:
"Just before we'd left Fort Drum, the platoon had gathered for one last night out on the town. Long after midnight, the liquor had made me relaxed and loud. I was happier than I had ever been, surrounded by men I'd come to care so much about. Then I'd made a snarky comment to a woman who had insulted one of my men. She'd reported it to her boyfriend, a townie with a chip on his shoulder. He and four of his buddies had ambushed me in the bar's bathroom. As they'd grabbed me and carried me outside, I'd laughed and said, "You picked the wrong night to do this." They'd dragged me into the parking lot, ready to go to work on me. Before they could throw a punch, my entire platoon had poured through the front doors, pounced on the townies, and turned them into bleeding, bellowing wrecks."

This is his tone. He sounds like he was either living in a dream world then, or making it up now. In the real army, people don't all get along, bullets hit people and if you make a "snarky comment" to a woman in a pub when you are drunk, her husband will beat you up.

I initially rated this book with three stars, but I thought about it and decided to change it to two.
1313 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2012
I left my e-reader at home on a recent trip to Central America. I stopped at the airport bookstore and quickly looked for a "guy" book. The cover and title seemed to fit the bill. And am I glad I picked this one. I found the book gritty, exciting, moving, and informative. It's very well written and tells a heroic story that I will not soon forget.
on April 5, 2012
I have read many military history books over the years. Some are obviously self-serving enhanced versions of what really happened in combat. This book has none of that crap. This is one of the finest examples of military writing I have ever seen. It's an accurate, detailed, moving account of modern American Soldiers in combat. All Americans should be proud that our Armed Forces have men like Sean Parnell and the Outlaw Platoon fighting for us. Every military historian, amateur and professional, should not only read this book, but find a place of Honor on their bookshelf for it. Thank you, Sean, and thank you, Outlaw Platoon, for the magnificent job you did in Afghanistan.
on March 24, 2012
When a book engages the reader in such highs and lows as "Outlaw Platoon" does over the daily activity of our brave soldiers fighting in Afghanistan, you can't help but feel their pain, their sense of pride in their mission, and how we as Americans take for granted our freedom. The men of "Outlaw Platoon"
formed a tight and devoted bond between themselves. This book gives a human face to the long, and grueling struggle America has faced since 9/11 over guarding America's freedom. Not only did these brave soldiers carry the physical wounds and scars while they were there, the memories of war as told in this book will remain with them for a lifetime. If you are expecting to read a feel-good book, this book isn't for you. But, if you have what it takes to read about what went on behind the scenes during the war in Afghanistan, which can be rather graphic, then find out what it takes for men like Sean Parnell to lead, comfort, and demonstrate a love of country and pride in the men who served with him.