Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop now TG18PP_gno

The Outpost (Jamison Valley Book 4)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(3 star). See all 172 reviews
on November 30, 2017
I feel just awful about this, but I could NOT get into this one. Sabrina & Beau are both great characters, the writing is solid, and I loved bits & pieces of the story. But ... I kept stopping & starting & had to skip around a bit, and this was just not the story for me. I loved books 1 & 3 in this series, and am looking forward to book 5, though!

It seemed like there was a lot and nothing going on at once, and I think that's where my struggle began. Sabrina & Beau build a really engaging friendship, and they're attracted to each other, but the things holding them back never really rang true to me.

What I LOVED about the story, tho, were the scenes when these two are talking. Their dialogue with each other and the epilogue get two thumbs up. : )
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 20, 2017
If it hadn’t been for the prologue drawing me into this story, I might have quit reading it. The first half of The Outpost seemed long, slow, and at time torturous. I didn’t connect with the characters and had to force myself to keep going because I was sure it would get better (and I wanted to know why she’d left ‘him’ if the months spent with him were so life-altering. I am glad I stuck it out, the last half of the book did redeem the first, although the rough start did affect my rating.

The Outpost is the Fourth in Devney Perry’s Jamison Valley series, although it can be read as a stand-alone. I haven’t read any of the books in the series, and I never felt lost in this book. There are a couple of characters I’d like to know more about, so I will likely pick up the previous books and read the series in its entirety, though. It is told in dual POV, Sabrina and Beau’s, but more of the book is told from Sabrina’s viewpoint than Beau’s

While I did feel empathetic toward Sabrina, I had a hard time connecting with her. It was definitely a ‘me’ thing, as I don’t think she was poorly written. It just seemed to me like a lot of who she was, in the beginning, was so superficial I think I wrote her off from that point forward. There were times she seemed too wrapped up in what her life used to look like to understand where her life was heading in the present. All in all, Sabrina was just a character I found difficult to relate to.

Beau was very much the opposite, and I desperately wish we would have had more scenes in his POV. He was such a quintessential ‘good guy’ and seemed to be a straight shooter; I think it would have been easier for me to connect with the book if I were in his head more often.

The Outpost did keep me on my toes for a good portion of the novel. There was a constant looming threat in the background and other moments of suspense thrown in to keep things interesting. Most of the on page happened in the final half of the book which helped me to enjoy the overall experience. I loved the glimpse of the other couples and tertiary characters; those scenes made me feel like I need to go back and read their stories too.

My wish for this book is just that the beginning of the book be more attention-grabbing. It started with a few big bangs and then fizzled for several chapters, that huge change in pace - while important for the character - was not great for the pacing of the novel. I also would have liked Sabrina to have been a more sympathetic character. While I did feel sympathy for her situation, I didn’t feel it for her as a whole.

Devney Perry is a new to me author. I’ve had several friends suggest her books since The Coppersmith Farmhouse was released, I just hadn’t taken the time to read them. After reading The Outpost, despite the slow beginning, I do see myself checking out her backlist. Her writing was good, and I enjoyed the journey she took me on. The fact she made me feel so much for secondary characters shows how good she is at drawing in her readers.