Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10 reviews
on October 10, 2013
For past few years, I have been looking for that perfect book; a book I can share with college freshmen, which will help them through that difficult first semester. That book needs to cover the importance of academics, choosing a life path, owning your faith, and everything in between. It needs to provide sound research from experts yet be relevant to a recent high school graduate. It needs to see education as true companion and not an enemy.

This is a very tall order. Perhaps I am dreaming too big and expect too much. So unfortunately The Outrageous Idea of Academic Faithfulness by Donald Opitz and Derek Melleby is not the book I wanted it to be, which is why my review is not glowing.
I don't have any outstanding issues with the book, just a few small things that made the book underwhelming.

First, I did not really understand the book's structure; the was no unifying theme that helped the chapters flow together.

Second, it's hard not to get a feeling of anti-intellectualism, but let me explain before you rip my head off. I do not think the authors believe knowledge is evil or that we should downplay the importance of education. The authors obviously support higher education and the idea that all truth is God's truth. However, the book does seem to imply that anything you learn (especially from a non-Christian source) needs to be vetted by Scripture first. With this attitude, all new information gets classified as evil until Christian community approves it. Now, I know the authors would probably disagree with that statement, but that is how I felt when I read the first half of the book.

Again, I know those are two weak arguments against the book. Once again, perhaps my expectations for the book were so high that I was doomed from the start.

It is a solid book. The authors are respected in the field of Christian higher education. I am just not sure how to use this book.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2013
What an awesome resource this book is. Not just for the student heading off for college, but for parents to be able to be aware of what their kids will face out in the college world and the choices they must make. Great for a graduation gift!
on May 24, 2013
I have been giving this book to high school graduates for years and many come back to tell me it spoke to things they had never really given much thought to. Great stuff!
on June 16, 2015
I got what I expected on time. Couldn't ask for more.
on July 14, 2013
I am recommending this book to all of my students. This is a great companion to Thriving at College by Alex Chediak.
on May 8, 2009
I had no idea this book would be so engaging! Read it if you are looking for a refreshing challenge; an encouragement that your faith should--and CAN--impact every area of your life.
on September 1, 2011
The book arrived in the condition it was listed to be in and within the set dates. I don't have anything to complain about.
on February 21, 2013
This was one of the most boring books I have ever read. It was not compelling at all and constantly stated things I already knew. Duh, I know that if I don't do homework, I'll get bad grades! There's not too much that I really remember from this book, because I stopped reading it out of frustration. Save yourself and find a better book.