- Hardcover: 256 pages
- Publisher: Hachette Books (June 12, 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0316415731
- ISBN-13: 978-0316415736
- Product Dimensions: 5.9 x 1 x 8.5 inches
- Shipping Weight: 11.2 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 41 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #74,558 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Outside the Jukebox: How I Turned My Vintage Music Obsession into My Dream Gig Hardcover – June 12, 2018
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
"Candid, hilarious, and wildly fun, Outside the Jukebox is the book I wish I'd had when I was getting my start in theatre."
―Kristin Chenoweth, Broadway and television star
"Bradlee found tremendous success by going his own way, and he turned his passion into a creative movement....I am learning from this read!"
―Mick Fleetwood, cofounder of Fleetwood Mac
"Bradlee's story is a crash course on how to launch a monster career in entertainment."
―Chris Silbermann, managing director, ICM Partners
"Scott Bradlee may just be the most creative musician turned entrepreneur I've had the honor to work with. Read this book and you will be inspired to chase your dreams the way he has."
―John Burk, president, Concord Records
"Outside the Jukebox will be of interest to up-and-coming musicians and Internet performers, not least because of his description of the traits and habits that helped Bradlee flourish....Here's hoping that Bradlee's hunger for success and his love of music keep him producing joyous, winning work for many years to come."―The Weekly Standard
"With an uncanny ability to tap into the cultural zeitgeist time and again, Scott Bradlee has given rise to a whole new crop of mega-talented singers and musicians, blending pop and jazz in a completely novel way....Outside the Jukebox takes us inside his unique method."
―Dave Koz, jazz saxophonist and host of Sirius-XM's The Dave Koz Lounge
"Fans of Postmodern Jukebox will certainly enjoy this, but anyone who is ready, as Bradlee says, to 'go out and make art' will appreciate his optimistic tone as well...Outside the Jukebox is a feel-good memoir with an inside look at Postmodern Jukebox founder Scott Bradlee's unconventional approach to a career."―Shelf Awareness (starred review)
"[An] entertaining memoir...Anyone eager to know more about the man behind the music will want to pick this up."―Publishers Weekly
About the Author
Scott Bradlee is a pianist and musical arranger. His musical collective, Postmodern Jukebox, is best known for its viral "pop music in a time machine" covers and has performed in over 400 live shows in five different continents.
Try the Kindle edition and experience these great reading features:
Read reviews that mention
Showing 1-6 of 41 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Throughout the book you see Scott evolve as a person, from non-traditional high school kid to the encouraging leader he is today. Scott shares insights and lessons learned...many of which were learned the hard way. Nevertheless, despite many challenges and setbacks, Scott exhibits incredible tenacity and commitment to overcome obstacles and attain his goal: the creation of an outstanding community of musicians who encourage and support each other while delivering incredible renditions of popular music.
I could recommend this book for:
1) Teachers. All educators have experienced the student who doesn’t fit the traditional mold. Scott provides insight into the potential within those students.
2) People with highly creative minds. The creative process and need for balance and recharge are all explored as well as interacting with a variety of personality types.
3) Leaders. Any organizational leader could benefit from Scott’s eventual perspective wherein a leader encourages her/his team to grow and develop their unique skills and strengths, making them stronger individuals and more valuable contributors to the group.
4) Fans of PMJ and all the unique personalities that highlight the group. C’mon, this book should be required reading for anyone who appreciates the creative approach to music that is Scott Bradley’s Postmodern Jukebox.
For all the artistic and business parables found in Outside The Jukebox, at its core is a story about finding your voice, perserving, and not losing sight of yourself. Everything old is new again.
P.S. I love that he’s managed by 1/2 of the guys who sang “Crazy For This Girl.”