- Paperback: 336 pages
- Publisher: Ten Speed Press; 52854th edition (August 1, 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1580089275
- ISBN-13: 978-1580089272
- Product Dimensions: 7 x 0.6 x 10 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 16 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #904,948 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Outsmarting the SAT Paperback – August 1, 2008
All Books, All the Time
Read author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more at the Amazon Book Review. Read it now
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
From the Publisher
* Elizabeth and her students know that guesswork and shortcuts won't lead to top SAT scores, so she explains the nuts and bolts of each type of question on the test and then cements the instruction by leading students through a broad array of sample problems with clear, handwritten solution explanations.
* Elizabeth takes the SAT annually and has an aggregate score in the 99th percentile, so she knows first-hand what the stress of test day feels like and how her innovative strategies propel scores into the upper echelon.
* Elizabeth's students consistently report that they did well on the SAT because they felt prepared, in control, and, most importantly, confident in their knowledge and abilities.
From the Back Cover
"Elizabeth's personality jumps right off the page as she helps students score at the top of their potential."
--Judi Robinovitz, president of Score at the Top Learning Centers and contributor to the College Board's original SAT prep material
"Elizabeth King brilliantly coaches students to raise their SAT scores 200 to 300 points. I am excited to use her book as part of our tutoring curriculum to ensure the best results."
--Nikki Geula, president of Arete Educational Consulting, Inc.
"I just wanted to thank you for all of your help; I got my [SAT] scores back, and I got a 2300!"
--Anonymous student, class of 2008
Outsmarting the SAT is the next best thing to having a private session with Elizabeth King, one of the country's top SAT coaches. King's tried-and-true innovative strategies are proven to help high schoolers boost their SAT scores higher than they thought possible.
Designed for students of all levels--from those who simply need to brush up on sentence completion skills to dire cases who need a crash course on algebraic functions or a school year's worth of geometry--King's down-to-earth coaching approach tackles test material in concise, easy-to-follow lessons that prepare any student to master the SAT.
Featuring a broad range of practice problems and handwritten, clear solution explanations, Outsmarting the SAT teaches students everything they need to know to do their best on the test.
Top customer reviews
I gave this book two stars because if you're a novice SAT test taker, then this book will be of some use. However, if you've been preparing for this exam, this book will not offer new insight. Just buy the College Board book as it includes practice tests.
Also, does anyone else find it frustrating that only 80 or so pages out of the 320 pages are dedicated to both the Verbal AND Writing sections? The rest is ALL math. So much of the Writing portion was left out. I really should've taken a look at this book at the bookstore before purchasing it on Amazon. Now it's too late for me to return it. Sigh.
Ms. King's explanations are thoughtful and concise, with the encouraging, conversational tone of an expert tutor. She never talks down to the reader, or succumbs to the belittling misconception that students need to be entertained with fluff to trick them into learning. I also appreciate the fact that her process of working out math problems is all handwritten, just like it would be if we were working on them together at my kitchen table.
I've been working with the book for only a few weeks, and I have yet to retake the test, but already I understand many concepts better than I did after a year of Algebra II in high school. Ms. King is simply an excellent, excellent teacher, and I'd recommend this book to anyone who needs a comprehensive review--or even a reintroduction--to any of the skills tested on the SAT.
Most recent customer reviews
It makes me wonder if any of these reviews are true.......