Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: OverDrive: Library eBooks & Audiobooks
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on June 10, 2013
I've been using Overdrive Media Console for 2-1/2 years to have access to ebooks at my local library and love it.

I downloaded Overdrive on my Kindle Fire a few weeks ago becaue my other tablet was beginning to freeze. I've listened to a few audiobooks (new to audiobooks; I prefer reading though) and a few epub/kindle books. Here's a few things I've noted:

1. There are two types of audiobooks: WMA (which is not compatible with Kindle Fire and you cannot return it early) and MP3 (which is compatible with Kindle and you're able to return it early). They both work well; I downloaded WMA audiobook to my computer and transferred it to another multimedia device that supports WMA files. Or you can just listen to it on your computer.

2. When you check out ebooks, there are various formats: epub, Kindle version, PDF. If you check out an epub book, it will show up in your Overdrive (after you download it); if you check out Kindle version, you will be directed to Amazon and you complete you process there. There was a kindle book that I checked out that showed up on my device (carousol) but would not open. Instead, it gave me a message something to the effect of "needing Internet access and would I like to retry or cancel". I could not click on either "retry" or "cancel"; it just would not respond and had to get out of that screen by using "home". I deleted the book and returned it and tried this two more times with same result. I then checked out this book (epub/Overdrive version instead of Kindle version) and viola! I was able to get that book. (In case you're interested, it was the "Fifty Shades..." triology bundle; so glad I didn't spend money on it - skimmed through it but did not like the characters and the writing is very repetitive). I was able to check out other Kindle library books so this is something specific to that book, IMO.

3. You are able to customize your lending period, up to a point. My library allows me to choose: 7 days, 14 days, 21 days for audiobooks and ebooks. When you're signed in to your library account, you should have: bookshelf, holds, something else? (don't recall), and settings. Click on settings and change your default lending days.

Hope this helps.
33 comments| 501 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2012
I just became aware of the Overdrive Media Console available for use with my County library. For me it is most useful for borrowing mp3 audio books because I can use the software and hear the books on my Iphone without any additional actions on my part. For use on the kindle, there are a few steps to learn but once you've checked out a kindle book from the library once or twice it is fairly easy. Both the audio book and kindle book will "return themselves" at the end of the borrowing period. You can return the kindle book early by using the kindle management section on Amazon. Returning audio books early isn't obvious from the menu, but it is there so that you can return a book early by "returning and deleting" the audio book from the Overdrive library.

The only difficulty I have run into is trying to get an audio book that is not mp3 for use on the I-Phone. It has to be converted using I-Tunes. It can be done, but not easily and not by anyone who isn't at least a bit tech savvy. On the Kindle Fire, there doesn't seem to be a way to use WAV audio books so far.

I am a fan of Overdrive now and use it every week or two for borrowing both kindle books and audio books.

The only real drawback is the lack of material available for download. Or rather, the lack of material I am interested in. As long as that remains a problem, I will have to make the occasional drive to the library to pick up a hard cover title.

At some time in the future when I am retired and can't get about as easily, this software and whatever it morphs into will be of great use in having access to books at my local library when I can't physically get there.
11 comment| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2012
this is a wonderful app for borrowing books from many many libraries. I found that it is easy to navigate and to use. My only complaint is that one can only search for titles of books, not authors or genres. if they could add these features i would give it 5 stars or more.
11 comment| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2012
I have an account through my public library and am able to download books and audiobooks. The ebooks can be viewed on my Kindle Fire HD but the audiobooks do not work. I am instructed to download to my computer and then transfer to the device but every time I transfer I get an error message saying "the rights for a file are not correct."

This is more than a little frustrating, as I would very much like to be able to listen to audiobooks without having to sit at my desktop computer.

***EDIT*** 11/5/12
There are some audiobooks that do work with this app. I have changed the rating from 3 to 4 stars. I am not sure if there is a way to tell in advance if the audiobooks will work but it appears that some do and some do not.
99 comments| 373 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2012
Got for my Kindle Fire and could not do without it. You do need at least one library card, preferably a county card. I live on a county border so I have two library cards which is even better. Using this app. and my library cards gives me access to all the digital media in these two counties. While it may differ in different parts of the country I'm allowed to have 10 books out at a time in each county and each book for 21 days. I have not had to buy a book since I acquired this app. My wife uses the same app on her Nook and we share the same library card. Most times you do have to get on a waiting list for a new best seller but with so many books there are always new books to read.
0Comment| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2012
App would not load. "Manage My Kindle" says that I own it. When I try to download it to my Kindle Fire HD, it says that I already own it and tells me to "please find it in the Apps Library." But it's not there. So the APP is kind of useless (at least for me).
1515 comments| 630 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2012
I thought that this would work on the Kindle Fire HD however it wouldn't even load.

I used this program with my IPOD with much success and liked the way it allowed me to check out library books.

Just be awarethere might be a problem installing it on a Kindle Fire HD.
88 comments| 514 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2013
Downloaded this app and the book from OverDrive but could not find book on my Kindle. Very discouraging. Then I read reviews from others that this doesn't work on the Kindle HD. Maybe that should be stated somewhere so others don't waste time trying to use it.
on December 20, 2012
This is absolutely one of my favorite programs! Use it everyday! I have Kindle Fire 1st Edition and haven NO issues at all. Books and Audio are awesome! Get free website audios/ebooks and ALL the libraries offer! If my library doesn't have a book...all I have to do is ask and they will get it for me if its available in this format (most all books new/old are!) .

I see this being a fantastic tool for my grandchildren as they grow up. What a huge resource for any student!

Cannot THANK YOU enough!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
on December 11, 2012
I enjoy the console because it works well. It does the job I need it to do for my Kindle Fire.