Truck Reviews HPC Audible Mel Robbins Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on March 26, 2018
Interesting topics in the book, some I definitely whole heartedly agreed with while others I thought were just babble. He makes great points. Couple things I didn’t like though were how he wrote (just my preference) and the lack of follow up on the topic. I know he isn’t giving a 12 step program, but the examples were good not great, and definitely a little short on the clarification part.

A lot of his stuff though is well thought out and connects with a lot of the things most people are talking about in other “self help” books. However, the way he states it and talks about it seems more concrete than others. I would love to sit down with him and “argue” some of his points because I really think he would be able to back up everything he says with evidence.

Content alone would have gotten between a 4 and 5 star. Writing style for me was about a 2, just a little dry and boring. However, I do recommend this book if you can get through it. He knows his stuff.
on August 17, 2010
Can you picture Muhammad Ali taking notes at a Tony Robbins seminar?

Haha, no.

99% of self help books and websites are useless. Why? Because they don't teach you HOW TO THINK. All they do is give you exercises and tactics for accomplishing things. The funny thing is that none of the great achievers ever used any of these tactics, they just think different.

Many self improvement gurus try to come up with theories and philosophies about how to live life and be fulfilled. These are completely useless because 1) they are not based on science, 2) they are not practical, and 3) great people like Michael Jordan and Richard Branson never followed any system or theory like that.

This book tries to explain the way successful people think. These people do not sit down and write a list of goals they want to achieve in 30 days. They do not use NLP techniques. They do not plan ahead. They do not worry about the probability of failure. They are not realistic. They are not results oriented. They do not strive for perfection.

These people are irrationally confident in themselves. Deep down they really believe in themselves and they know that they will accomplish what they want NO MATTER WHAT. They have dreams, not goals, and they enjoy pursuing their dreams. They live in their own little world. Failures and criticism do not affect them.

The main lessons I got from this book are:

- The Trusting Mindset.
- Pressure and stress improve performance.
- Anxiety is a cognitive misinterpretation of stress and the fight/flight response.
- Confidence comes before success.
- Focusing on goals is counterproductive. CHASE A DREAM instead of setting goals.
- Successful people do not follow systems or formulas. They are extremely unrealistic and irrationally confident. They focus on POSSIBILITIES, not probabilities.

The reason I don't give this book 5 stars is because the author is not a very good teacher. After reading Your Brain at Work by David Rock (probably the greatest book there is on productivity at work) I found this book to be very boring. The author tries too hard to illustrate his points with the use stories. There are just too many stories in it and overall the book is kinda messy. I had to skip several pages because of this.

I also didn't like the second part at all. I didn't find it very practical and in my opinion this book could've ended at page 125 without losing any effect.

I will apply the teachings of this book and will let you guys know, 2-3 years from now, if it really changed my life or not.
22 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 18, 2013
I really like the way the author uses known business, sports, etc people and their accomplishments to enhance the content. These stories help to frame the concepts presented and provide interesting reading. I have read many motivational, self-help, and "business success" books over the years, and this book provides basic concepts in a most fascinating way. I have used the principles in my own day-to-day life with much success. It does take some practice to consistently apply the "focus" discussed (Trusting Mindset), but it is well worth it. This applies to everything in your life from reading to your children at night, to corporate board meetings, to long-term goal achievement. I enjoyed this!
on February 28, 2016
Great research based analysis and application of how to make anxiety and stress work for you so as to become an overachiever in any field of endeavor from business to sports and medicine. Those of you familiar with Brian Cain and Csikszentmihalyi and the state of "flow" will benefit from Eliot reinforcing many of their ideas but also critically analyzing other concepts. If you desire more to think about in the field of mental training, then this is the book for you!
on January 15, 2012
Stumbled across this book and gave it a chance, and what a pleasant surprise. Exceeded my expectations.
Much of the self-help here is contrary to the standard guidance, but it is a welcome diversion. Well-written and all content, no fluff. Recommend this, should be more well-known in the self-help genre.
One person found this helpful
on March 26, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed Eliot's argument against the falsehoods of performance psychology. As a distance runner, it was easy to relate to the situations and psychology behind performing under mental pressure. I intend to use Eliot's strategies and ideas I'm an effort to improve myself and I think that they will help me greatly in the future.
on March 2, 2015
The first chapter hooked me but honestly couldn't hold my interest well enough for me to finish it
on August 23, 2014
Very amazing, completely goes against everything I have ever learned. I have implemented many of these methods into my daily life and it has worked like a charm! Can't wait until I am a full on overachiever.
on February 5, 2017
read it all the time
on February 9, 2006
'Overachievement' is definitely an engaging read; Eliot managed to tightly integrate hard science with concise guiding principles & vivid real-world examples. I especially enjoy his blunt & critical comment about the weaknesses of other gurus' work. (E.g. Jim Loehr, author of 'The Power of Full Engagement'). Anyone who are keen to unleash his/her hidden potential should find 'Overachievement' useful & energizing.
4 people found this helpful