Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Overcoming ADHD Without Medication: A Parent and Educator's Guidebook Paperback – November 15, 2009
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
With a lot of thought and understanding of concern, "Overcoming ADHD without Medication" is an excellent read that should very much be considered by concerned parents. --Midwest Book Review
...Practical measures and lifestyle changes with some additional resources that can help parents assist their children based on thorough and accurate research done on the subject. The symptoms of ADHD, mostly found in children and teens, can be overcome through lifestyle changes.
Lifestyle changes can help children succeed in both school and at home, even without medication. Very useful. --EduMags Media: Education Online - Resource Guide and Information for Teachers, Lecturers and Students.
As a physician, I see children and adults daily who have been diagnosed with ADD and ADHD. The first thing that often happens in this case is that they are put on medications without any regard for their lifestyle or nutritional habits.
It's an easy read, it's well laid out, and based on research. I would definitely recommend this to my patients and anyone else who has or knows someone with ADHD. --Maiysha Clairborne MD - Author of Life On Your Terms: 7 Steps to a More Empowered You
From the Publisher
What is ADHD and what are the symptoms? What can parents do to help children overcome ADHD? Can this be accomplished without medication? What drugs are being used for ADHD and are they effective? What are the side effects and are they serious? What can educators do to help children with ADHD to be successful? What about childhood depression? Can anything be done to help children naturally?
These and many more questions are answered in this concise and practical book. It assists parents and teachers to help children to succeed. It also has valuable information for professionals such as pediatricians and psychologists.
There is much that parents can do to help children overcome ADHD symptoms, and medication rarely provides a permanent solution.
Through practical measures and lifestyle changes, parents can help children be successful. This book provides many additional resources, websites, books and organizations, that can help parents to help their children. It provides ideas for teachers, special education teachers and principals.
* Recommended Reading and Resources
* Well Researched - Expert Sources
* Extensive Bibliography
* Fully Indexed
Six years of field work and research went into the production of this book and it is thorough and accurate, including the most recent educational and scientific information. The methods and ideas described here have been field-tested and do work.
Sometimes the results are astounding, with rapid progress in a short period of time.
This book represents the life work of many public school educators and other professionals who work daily with children who have special needs, and was developed by public school educators.
Unique Features of Ovecoming ADHD WIthout Medication
* Did you know that, many children with ADHD are highly visually-oriented? As a result, they may respond to visual stimuli more than other children. Regularly engaging in artwork can be stabilizing for many children as well as adults with ADHD.
* Diet can make a difference. Cutting back on sugar and refined carbohydrates can positively affect the behavior and focus of some children.
* Educational remediation is recommended before experimenting with medications.
* Sleep disorders and child abuse can mistakenly be diagnosed for ADHD.
* ADHD treated with stimulant drugs can sometimes result in symptoms of bipolar disorder and clinical depression.
What Children Need and What Works
- Children need love and attention.
- Children need good nutrition and a healthy breakfast daily.
- Minimizing the time that a child spends watching TV and playing video games can yield positive results for many children.
- "Green therapy," regular time outdoors, and with nature, is effective therapy for ADHD and childhood depression.
ADHD and the Medical Model
Many reputable child psychologists and child psychiatrists do not agree with the current, prevalent view of psychiatry based on the "medical model" of labeling and prescribing drugs.
There are other models in mental health which more adequately and holistically describe the many interrelated factors of mental health, especially when touching on the mental health of children.