- Paperback: 192 pages
- Publisher: New Harbinger Publications; 1 edition (May 1, 2004)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1572243279
- ISBN-13: 978-1572243279
- Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 6.3 x 0.4 inches
- Shipping Weight: 9.6 ounces
- Average Customer Review: 21 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #417,623 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Overcoming Night Eating Syndrome: A Step-by-Step Guide to Breaking the Cycle Paperback – May 1, 2004
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
From the Publisher
Written by a preeminent medical authority who has extensively research this newly identified eating disorder, this is the first book targeted to sufferers of night eating syndrome, or NES: a condition in which individuals consume more than 50 percent of their daily calories after eight oclock in the evening.
· Statistics suggest that 2 percent of the American population suffers from night eating syndrome; 33 percent of morbidly obese people, however, are believed to have this disorder
· This is the first book to focus on this particular eating disorder: a condition in which victims obsessively consume more than 50 percent of their calories after eight oclock in the evening
· The authors of this book are respected researchers in the field of eating disorders; Dr. Stunkard, in particular has over 400 publications to his credit in academic and professional journals, mostly pertaining to obesity
Top customer reviews
After buying and reading this I figured out there are reasons for this behavior and it is quite common. I went from eating every night to maybe once every 2 weeks or so. When I do go back to my old behavior I just pick up the book for a quick refresh and get back on the right path.
I now want breakfast and my energy levels are better through the day. It took me about 2-3 weeks to break my bad habit. I hope all who read this have the same luck that I did.
This is a simple, but thorough book about Night Eating Syndrome, a quick read (only 167 pages), but full of information. It starts out with assistance in evaluating if you have NES...however, I think that this book would be helpful to anyone who overeats at night, whether or not they fit all of the criteria for NES.
It includes chapters on how to rule out other eating disorders and physical disorders, the biology and psychology behind night eating, hormonal involvement in night eating, types of night and eating and suggestions/plans for overcoming each. The interventions are pretty predictable, but still helpful, including journaling, imagery, relaxation, and other behavioral interventions. Support, medications, perseverance, and Internet resources are also discussed.
All in all I thought it was a fine, easy to understand book about a little-discussed disorder just now coming to public attention.